CanJam SoCal 2021 (September 25-26, 2021)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #601 of 949
take time to chat with other attendees
I dunno, what if @04gto ends up talking to odd birds from DC? :wink: Of course this is excellent advice for anyone attending. You can meet some really fun people at these events. I have a number of audio friends that I've made since my first CanJam back in 2014 and it's always great to add more to the list.

Sep 9, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #602 of 949
I dunno, what if @04gto ends up talking to odd birds from DC? :wink: Of course this is excellent advice for anyone attending. You can meet some really fun people at these events. I have a number of audio friends that I've made since my first CanJam back in 2014 and it's always great to add more to the list.
*Hisses at @AxelCloris*

Sep 9, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #605 of 949
Wanted to compile a wishlist here so that other Jammers and. Maybe a few vendors can note if this gear would be around for audition!

kennerton Rognir
Focal Stellia
ZMF Verite closed
Sony Z1R
DCA terminated cables (Silvergarde S4/other OCC litz silver cables)
Woo WA22
Matrix X-Sabre pro MQA/3

thanks!

Sep 9, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #606 of 949
As a chef of 25+ years
I like you already!!! :wink:

I don’t know what kind of food will be in the Marriot, but I have been to the Italian restaurant across the way and it was excellent.
From my limited (6 CanJams :wink:) experience, for lunch - people snack on whatever they bring with them or find close by (or even skip altogether, forgetting to eat with all the excitement all around). Dinner is the opportunity to socialize, have fun, and enjoy good food!

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #607 of 949
@third_eye how are the T-shirt sizes run, from your past experience?
I used to be a solid M before covid... Now I am in between M and L, so choosing between M and L varies by brand.

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #609 of 949
We have a few volunteer spaces left for CanJam SoCal! If interested, please send me a PM!

CanJam Volunteers
There will be volunteer staff positions at CanJam SoCal 2021 to assist at the Registration Desk. You will need to be able to commit to a 4 hour shift on either the Saturday or Sunday of the event. Volunteers will receive free weekend tickets along with an event T-Shirt. If you are interested, please send me a PM or email to ethan@canjam.org with your full name, email address, and T-Shirt size.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 9, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #610 of 949
Hey everyone, and multi time CanJam veterans in particular. I am still somewhat new to head-fi (I have only taken this hobby 'seriously' for 3 years) and this will be my first CanJam! I am bringing my 14yo son as well, he has fallen in love with my HD58X and this has sparked his audiophile curiosity. So pre-visit, I have some etiquette questions.
1. Is it frowned upon to bring your own headphones to test on source gear, amps etc? Will vendors let you do this?
2. Similar to question 1. If I bring my own DAP or portable DAC/AMP, will headphone vendors generally allow you to listen from it?
3. What things that I might overlook, should I definitely see or do?

I am that guy who wears $3k headphones at Starbucks, so I have no problem bringing my gear anywhere.
1. Bring it all.
But ask first. Sometimes they've got a complex setup they don't want to change and re-do. Sometimes it's very expensive gear and they want to do the setup for you - no touching until they're ready.
You may need to bring your own extension cable/power strip if allowed to plug in anything you need powered to test. Best to have your own battery powered devices.

2. Almost always, yes.
Again, show and ask first. They may want to setup for you.

3. Lots of $$$$
Like accidentally walking in front of a lcd-x $1000 hooked up to a Cavalli tube amp $5000 streaming through a $10000 dac.....
Do you bring Heaven home? Or live in Hell after the show without?

Come at the start and visit any vendors you'd like first! It'll get busy later, higher room noise, harder to get a good listen at times with the crowds.
E.g. Hard to compare open air headphones mid day with the crowds.

Go to the big rooms filled with many vendors first for the giveaways some have. They often run out later in the day. (Eg. One year was free SpinFit earbud tips - really nice brand of tips!)

Get a big breakfast and push through lunch. A break mid afternoon is better - avoid all the crowds.
If any big giveaways are done, usually end of the day - so time things so you can be present.

Cash + card.
Some take one or the other, and electronic card readers sometimes fail.

Have a playlist loaded and ready. 15-30 second clips useful of several song types (E.g. Jazz, r&b, etc - what you like). You can use this as a baseline to compare.

Obviously, if you come across the lcd-x + cavalli first, most everything else cheaper will....sound cheaper!

Useful to bring a favorite pair you own to compare.

If you're the type, take photos, post to the Event photos/comments thread that will likely be up by then so everyone who can't make it can see.

You might want to ziptie or stick an id tag on everything you bring in case you forget it at a vendor table.

Wipes. I use Zeiss eyeglass individually packed wipes from Wal-Mart. Quick drying alcohol, no residue or lint, can use it on headphones to cables to phones to laptops to monitors just fine.

3m n95 / n100 masks (home depot) if you're worried. Because the number of daily covid cases and deaths in CA have exceeded last year's 1st wave and still going up.

And before you get up and go from a vendor table testing - CHECK you've disconnected yourself!! Nothing like accidentally dragging $$$ equipment off the table because you forgot to unplug.

I've been lurking on this board for a while, can't wait to go to my first CanJam! I'm used to going to tech conventions, this will be my first Audio focused one.
Don't forget the NAMM Show summer 2022! Tons and tons and tons more audio gear there to play with. Follow Twitter tags a month or two before the show up get free passes from vendors.

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #611 of 949
From my limited (6 CanJams :wink:) experience, for lunch - people snack on whatever they bring with them or find close by (or even skip altogether, forgetting to eat with all the excitement all around). Dinner is the opportunity to socialize, have fun, and enjoy good food!
There's a collection of food options nearby if folks want to grab a bite. Assuming they've returned, there were food trucks with outdoor seating just outside the office complex next door to the hotel. @joe, @jude and I enjoyed food there a couple times. Then there are a number of restaurants ~one mile down the road. @bowei006 and I grabbed burgers for lunch one day at The Counter, and of course there are the hotel's offerings too. Sometimes skipping lunch is needed when you have a lot on your audition list, but definitely check out what's nearby. Who wouldn't prefer auditioning new gear with a full stomach vs going closed-only to block out the tummy rumbles?

Of course @Zachik is spot-on that dinner is better for socializing. @Muinarc @miceblue @Netforce and a few others grabbed dinner at Puesto Park Place Irvine just down the road (same complex as a number of other restaurants and easily within (my) walking distance). Then there's HiroNori Craft Ramen a short walk in the other direction. Oh, HiroNori...

Sep 9, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #612 of 949
There's a collection of food options nearby if folks want to grab a bite. Assuming they've returned, there were food trucks with outdoor seating just outside the office complex next door to the hotel. @joe, @jude and I enjoyed food there a couple times. Then there are a number of restaurants ~one mile down the road. @bowei006 and I grabbed burgers for lunch one day at The Counter, and of course there are the hotel's offerings too. Sometimes skipping lunch is needed when you have a lot on your audition list, but definitely check out what's nearby. Who wouldn't prefer auditioning new gear with a full stomach vs going closed-only to block out the tummy rumbles?

Of course @Zachik is spot-on that dinner is better for socializing. @Muinarc @miceblue @Netforce and a few others grabbed dinner at Puesto Park Place Irvine just down the road (same complex as a number of other restaurants and easily within (my) walking distance). Then there's HiroNori Craft Ramen a short walk in the other direction. Oh, HiroNori...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-socal-2021-food-thread.959001/

Sep 9, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #613 of 949
As a chef of 25+ years I have learned to appreciate nearly all food, even if just for the effort that went into it. I don’t know what kind of food will be in the Marriot, but I have been to the Italian restaurant across the way and it was excellent.
Il Fornaio Irvine
Thanks for the pointer to Il Fornaio. It's on the higher end of the quality spectrum of chain restaurants, in my experience. Unless things have improved over the last couple years, don't get your hopes up about the food quality at the Marriott. I had lunch at the bar during CanJam 2019. Maybe there are other eateries at the hotel that are better.

Sep 9, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #614 of 949
Thanks for the pointer to Il Fornaio. It's on the higher end of the quality spectrum of chain restaurants, in my experience. Unless things have improved over the last couple years, don't get your hopes up about the food quality at the Marriott. I had lunch at the bar during CanJam 2019. Maybe there are other eateries at the hotel that are better.
You make a great point about the food at the Marriot. I don't want to trash them too hard (I have done events with them before) but in my experience Marriot as a corporate entity never, ever prioritizes quality food. Also I find that good music & beverages help with the digestion, even if the food is substandard. My wife would look at me sideways if I wore my headphones at the table. Would you guys look at me funny if we went out to eat after CanJam and I refused to remove my HD6XX?

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #615 of 949
Thank you so much for the very thoughtful response...brother :o2smile:

I feel your pain. :wink: 👊

We will also have samples of our headphone cleaning wipes so you can sanitize your way through the show.

Will you have actual inventory of these on-hand for purchase? I can imagine that a lot of people would be interested in purchasing more as their samples run out.

Will be here before we know it. Can't wait to see you all!

Here here! 🍻

In my couple of CanJams I learned a lot that way and have established friendships that also add to the Head-Fi interaction here.

That is, by far, the best part! :thumbsup:

You insiders, always teasing! 🤣
Warren is THE worst... Just saying...

🤣 I'm particularly naughty in this respect. In fact, many Head-Fiers used to have a nickname for me because of that.

Man I am looking forward to this! Wife didn’t see the point of a can jam so I’ll be attending completely unsupervised and carrying credit cards!
When I told the wife that me and my 14yo son were going to an audio show for headphones and it was gonna be so fun, she was so confused. She is a very smart lady, but I am pretty sure she injured her brain trying to imagine what kind of 'fun' could be had in a big room with a bunch of dudes wearing headphones. Her verbal reaction was "So will there at least be good food at this festival?" :relaxed:

For both of you, do NOT elaborate. Do not say a word more! The less she knows the better!

Really?
... How about a song with "Orange County" in it!
Stefy - Orange County

Whoa! I didn't even know there was a song about Orange County! :smiley: Definitely gonna give that a listen.

Warren is THE Treasel (trolling with teases)!

Sigh, that'd be the aforementioned nickname. :stuck_out_tongue:

🤣

I've been lurking on this board for a while, can't wait to go to my first CanJam! I'm used to going to tech conventions, this will be my first Audio focused one.

You're going to love it! My first was in 2013, and I've since been to many more, all over the world.

Go to the big rooms filled with many vendors first for the giveaways some have. They often run out later in the day. (Eg. One year was free SpinFit earbud tips - really nice brand of tips!)

@adorable just reminded me of something very important... try to not think of the show as being two days long. More often than not, that perspective will bite you in the ass. The show is nine hours long on Saturday, and eight hours long on Sunday, for a maximum of 17 hours. Subtract from that time for lunch, restroom breaks, seminars, etc. and you'll quickly find that you don't have as much time as you thought. And all of the above is based on the unrealistic assumption that the rig you want to audition will be available right when you walk up to it.

Would you guys look at me funny if we went out to eat after CanJam and I refused to remove my HD6XX?

Nah, they're open-backed, so I know you can still hear me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back