CanJam SoCal 2019 Impressions thread
Jul 5, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #406 of 438
Finally!!! People who think just like me!
Unfortunately, most of the people in the US are more like @Watagump and genuinely like these faux foods (including Twizzlers)... :confounded:

If you will use key ingredients from bile to allow you to use gone off milk in your chocolate then you should sort of expect it to taste like schiit!

Jul 5, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #407 of 438
Hershey's may make my esophagus burn, but I cannot abide this sentiment. Onward, maltodextrin! Upward, monosodium glutamate! TO AGAR-AGAR, AND BEYOND!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #408 of 438
One of my highlights of the show was meeting Jude and @warrenpchi again, and I enjoyed the brief candid conversations as always!

And the venue itself. I've yet to see any gripes about the venue, aside from it being too far for those on the east coast Lol. Great atmosphere, event size, event staff & vendors, good area, etc.

One of the few if any gripes though was about the vinyl booths. No problem with the vendors and I actually am a proponent of analogue gear and vinyl can be preferable in some cases. But it seemed none of them were properly amped if at all, especially that booth that was towards the back right corner of the main room. The headphones seemed to be connected directly to the turntable unit and I heard so much distortion even after a needle cleaning that I told them it's defective and walked away. I think they were a bit pissed, but if they were to just connect those turntables to a decent headphone amp such as perhaps Rag (Rangarok) 2 or even Cavali Liquid Carbon X via a phono-stage and with summit-fi headphones they could have really upped the fidelity by quite a huge margin.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #409 of 438
I am Klaus Heinz, HEDD engineer for the HEDDphones ONE. Let me comment that the Air Motion Transformer works with - in the case of the HP 1 - 26 single folds that squeeze air 4 times faster than the diaphragm itself is moving. All other speakers and phones act like a piston to move air, be they voice coil driven, planar or electrostatic. Their diaphragms and the air velocity are always in a 1:1 ratio.

When one breathes the breast moves slowly but the air goes in and out much quicker, that´s what one calls a velocity transform. That´s the way the folds in the HEDDphone ONE operate. The factor 4:1 I think in no way is related to a 4th harmonic, the THD of the unit including the 4th harmonic is ≤ 0,1 %. As soon as the final product is available we will publish these curves.

We illustrate the details of the in its way unique functionality of the Air Motion Transformer on our website at http://www.hedd.audio/en/hedd-amt/.

Jul 8, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #410 of 438
Hi all, this was the first canjam that I've attended. I also brought along my girlfriend and friend, and we're all audio noobs. I had an amazing time overall, and am really pleased with the amount of headphones I was able to demo. I do really wish I had taken some notes though. There was so much to take in and try out, with varying amounts of time spent on different headphones, so I sadly have forgotten a lot of the details and nuances of my impressions. I do remember quite a lot of the highlights from the show that stood out to me though, and think I learned a lot about headphones in general and what my preferences are towards them. It took only a short while for me to confirm I prefer a warm signature. I think I'm a little treble sensitive, and enjoyed a lot of the 'thicker' or bassier sounding headphones. Regardless, the HD800 was one of the standout headphones from the entire event for me. I didn't really expect it to wow me given my perceived preferences, but the amazing detail, imaging and separation was on a different level than what I was used to, totally surpassing my expectations. Definitely goes to show the importance of trying gear before buying. Audeze had a lot of headphones that really impressed me as well, the LCD 2, X, and 4 sounded fantastic to my ears. They sounded extremely fast and liquidy, with great detail and extension in the bass. I thought these excelled with hip hop and electronic music like my Fostex X00s, but had a cleaner sound that sacrificed 'impact'. I didn't get to test these very much with extreme metal music. Hifiman had a few headphones that I really enjoyed as well, the ones I can remember are the Arya and HE-1000 SE. My absolute favorite booth however was ZMF. Zach and his wife are amazing people, and the hype around their company is 100% legitimate. These headphones sound so good. There's a fullness/organic quality to them that makes them shine especially with doom/sludge metal favorites like Sleep, Conan and YOB. It was really tough to pick a favorite of their's (besides the verite), but it wound up being the Auteur, closely followed by the Aeolus. The Auteur sounded a bit more refined to me, sacrificing some warmth and aggression for more detail and separation. I think these were the best all-rounders, sounding great with everything from death metal to shoe-gaze. Really everything they had sounded fantastic to me though, and they were such nice, down to earth people! I'll definitely be returning for future events =).

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #411 of 438
Hi all, this was the first canjam that I've attended. I also brought along my girlfriend and friend, and we're all audio noobs. I had an amazing time overall, and am really pleased with the amount of headphones I was able to demo. I do really wish I had taken some notes though. There was so much to take in and try out, with varying amounts of time spent on different headphones, so I sadly have forgotten a lot of the details and nuances of my impressions. I do remember quite a lot of the highlights from the show that stood out to me though, and think I learned a lot about headphones in general and what my preferences are towards them. It took only a short while for me to confirm I prefer a warm signature. I think I'm a little treble sensitive, and enjoyed a lot of the 'thicker' or bassier sounding headphones. Regardless, the HD800 was one of the standout headphones from the entire event for me. I didn't really expect it to wow me given my perceived preferences, but the amazing detail, imaging and separation was on a different level than what I was used to, totally surpassing my expectations. Definitely goes to show the importance of trying gear before buying. Audeze had a lot of headphones that really impressed me as well, the LCD 2, X, and 4 sounded fantastic to my ears. They sounded extremely fast and liquidy, with great detail and extension in the bass. I thought these excelled with hip hop and electronic music like my Fostex X00s, but had a cleaner sound that sacrificed 'impact'. I didn't get to test these very much with extreme metal music. Hifiman had a few headphones that I really enjoyed as well, the ones I can remember are the Arya and HE-1000 SE. My absolute favorite booth however was ZMF. Zach and his wife are amazing people, and the hype around their company is 100% legitimate. These headphones sound so good. There's a fullness/organic quality to them that makes them shine especially with doom/sludge metal favorites like Sleep, Conan and YOB. It was really tough to pick a favorite of their's, but it wound up being the Auteur, closely followed by the Aeolus. The Auteur sounded a bit more refined to me, sacrificing some warmth and aggression for more detail and separation. I think these were the best all-rounders, sounding great with everything from death metal to shoe-gaze. Really everything they had sounded fantastic to me though, and they were such nice, down to earth people! I'll definitely be returning for future events =).

Definitely agree with you about ZMF. I was introduced to the ZMF brand at CanJam SoCal (thanks @Zachik and @buke9 ) and in my brief time there, I walked away impressed. ZMF will be at the top of my list to demo at the next CanJam I attend.

Jul 8, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #412 of 438
Definitely agree with you about ZMF. I was introduced to the ZMF brand at CanJam SoCal (thanks @Zachik and @buke9 ) and in my brief time there, I walked away impressed. ZMF will be at the top of my list to demo at the next CanJam I attend.
As they should be.

Jul 9, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #414 of 438
Jul 10, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #416 of 438
This was my first CanJam as well! The absolute standout was ZMF for sure. Getting to hear all of the ZMF line up was a musical dream. And Zach and Bevin are the absolute nicest people. I cannot wait to hear (and see) what else comes from ZMF!

I also had a great time chatting with and learning a little more about Sennheiser. I love the contrast between the HD 800s and the HD 660s.

Also standouts were the bass on the Audeze MX4, the surround sound on the Mobius, the crazy amount of detail in the Utopia, the vocals of the Abyss Diana Phi, and ABing the Mr. Speakers Voce with the Ether 2, and building my own Magni and Modi.

Next time: listen to more tube amps!

Jul 10, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #417 of 438
Though an indirect comparison, I also liked this better than the new RR1 Conquest e-stats and the Raal SR1A for better tonal balance and dynamics.

While yielding highly versatile sounds depending on equipment used, if I had to compare it to another headphone I would say it's close to the HD-600 headphone and the QDC Anole VX IEM in terms of sound signature, yet still better in quite a few ways.

I have never heard the HEDDphone and was interested to read your review. I could not figure out, however, what you mean by an indirect comparison.

Also, I was surprised by your glowing description of the HEDDphone, followed by your stating it is close to the HD-600. I started off with one of those years ago, and fortunately every headphone after it has sounded a whole lot better.

Jul 11, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #418 of 438
Jul 11, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #419 of 438
American beer is even worse!
I say yes and no to that - mainstream American beers (Budweiser, Miller, Coors etc) are caca, but American craft beers can be and are world class :L3000:

Jul 11, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #420 of 438
I say yes and no to that - mainstream American beers (Budweiser, Miller, Coors etc) are caca, but American craft beers can be and are world class :L3000:

How dare you knock Coors, their commercial says its the worlds most refreshing beer. I find water to be refreshing, so I guess my tap water is the worlds most refreshing water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back