CanJam SoCal 2016 Impressions Thread (March 19-20, 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #242 of 658
Had a great time on Saturday!

Highlights of the show for me were 64 Audio's A10 (over the A12), HifiMan Edition X, ZMF Omni, and finally being able to check out The Abyss, HD800S, and Woo Audio WA22.

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #243 of 658
  CanJam SoCal - What a gas.  Very well organized. Thanks folks. Very pleased with a first CanJam.

Making plans and looking forward to the huge Denver show in October.  The RMAF (https://www.audiofest.net/) states: "...now features over 160 exhibit spaces representing more than 400 hundred companies from North and South America, Europe, Australia and Asia."  Wow, 40.000 companies and cramming them into 160 spaces should be interesting...ha ha. 

You have a typo. Not 40000 companies, 400 companies.

It's not hard to get 400 companies into 160 exhibits. Many exhibits have multiple companies. One for cables, one for speakers, on for DAC, one for room treatments, one for amps, and so forth. 

Mar 21, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #244 of 658
  I don't know what DAC they were using. It was silver with what looked like an led dot display on the silver surface. They had a Mac but I don't know if the files were there or if it was just a controller for a server.

Thank you.
beerchug.gif

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #245 of 658

You have a typo. Not 40000 companies, 400 companies.

It's not hard to get 400 companies into 160 exhibits. Many exhibits have multiple companies. One for cables, one for speakers, on for DAC, one for room treatments, one for amps, and so forth. 

LOL You are so funny. Please don't take offense, instead please actually read the quote:  "...400 hundred companies..." so please check your math.
biggrin.gif
  If I said I had 12 hundred chickens on my farm, how many do I have? 12 or 1200?  Your math would indicate that I have 12 chickens when if fact there are 1200 yardbirds  12 *100 = 1200.....  Ergo 400 * 100 =  40,000.  Right?

Good luck!

Cheers,

beerchug.gif

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #246 of 658
Thankfully I decided to take the day off from work today and finally managed to get a proper's night of rest!

CanJam was definitely a ton of fun for me this year more or less everything went super smooth, got to meet some great folks, and hearing all the new gear was definitely a treat!

Getting in on Friday I got an early taste of CanJam by hearing Chord Mojo finally. It is certainly my new favorite portable dac/amp combo! Small form, worked without any issue on my Galaxy s5 and it just sounded amazing! The $599 price might be a hefty price tag but the Mojo punches well above it's weight class~ Hearing the Mojo as the source for the Cavalli Liquid Tungsten was easily my favorite setup I heard the whole weekend. Got only a few minutes to listen but with hearing it with the HD800 was so nice. Soundstage was nice and layered enough to pick out the micro details and instruments in the tracks I heard on it. What a wonderful pairing!

Registration table and setup went smoothly, we opened on time and I had no issues getting folks their badge Saturday morning. I think we roughly finished our first major line in less than an hour!.

After I finished up with the morning shift I finally a chance to stretch my legs and then went to help out with the Rha for most of Saturday which was fun for me to talk to the community. Got an hour to grab lunch and went over to Boudin for some soup and a sandwich which was delicious and it gave me a chance to finally check out a presentation downstairs. 

Some time on Saturday I did actually make it to the Onkyo table to test out the new Onkyo dap and their upcoming headphones. I've had my fiio x5 now for 2 years and my Onkyo es-cti300 for a little under 2 years and the Onkyo DP-X1 just sounded awesome! Clean and clear sound with an awesome android ui, massive and pretty screen, solid build, and to top it all off it was wonderfully powerful. The dp-x1 was a definite step up from my fiio x5! Can't wait a Usa release! The es-cti300 was a personal favorite portable can for me so much so I bought it twice~ The Onkyo H500M was on display and it finally has an April/May release at $200! It is a super solid metal build but very light and comfy with a bunch of the bulk stripped off in comparison to the es-cti300. The cable is still removeable but now uses a simple 3.5mm plug instead of the old proprietary cable. Isolation was great, the tent wasn't a quiet place and the headphones easily blocked out the background noise effortlessly! Sound was step up from the es-cti300 but I could hear how onkyo has kept the wonderful bassy sound I loved in my es-cti300 and put it in the H500M at the same time keeping clarity! The H500M is wonderful portable value at $200, easy recommendation from me!

I had the new Rha dac/amp on hand while I was at the rha table and you can find the details I posted earlier here. But I did snap some pics but apologies for them not turning out the best from my phone and didn't retake them as our table got busy quite a number of times.

The unit from the front.

Unit from the side without and with flash so it would be easier to make out the settings.

Bottom of the unit

Top of the unit

The back side says a few things and the left front side is round. Turn on the unit from the volume knob at the top of the unit. Bass and treble knobs can increase and decrease depending on what you set it to. Still a prototype but it is getting close to completion! The unit got dropped before I could hear it in action and the battery likely got knocked loose as it was still using a prototype battery. The stuff needed to flash the firmware was back overseas in the Rha offices so couldn't  fix it for folks to listen 
frown.gif

After the show ended we headed over to continue the annual CanJam tradition of go karts! My first time and was a bit tired from working all day but definitely not tired enough to go kart! Well maybe until we were at it for several hours lol! 

Saturday for me was basically helping out with the registration table, then over to the Rha table to help out, bit of listening at Onkyo, grabbing some lunch along the way and to top off the night go karts! Sunday I actually got a bit a chance to actually step out and hear other tables so those impressions in another post...

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Mar 21, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #247 of 658
  What source was used by Stax?
Thanks.

Here, I asked the same question.  I believed the Stax amp was the SRM-007 (correct me, not sure of this) that was connected to the Accuphase 720 directly.  The sound from the Accuphase was just sublime, and that was just the Chesky Ultimate Demonstration Disk CD (not SACD).  Textures/spacing/staging were all superb.  I got the same Chesky's record of "Spanish Harlem" at home plays thru 007/009-kgsshv combo, but no where near the Accuphase/SRM007/SR-007 combo (didn't try the 009, should have though).     

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #248 of 658

Curious about this. I'm probably wrong as I haven't been following the HD800S closely (but did listen to it in e-earphone last weekend), but from the Fujiya Autumn show last year, I was under the impression that the HDS800 & HDS800S had the same drivers but it was more the pads, housing, etc surrounding the driver that had some tweaking from the IE800 tech. If the driver's the same, would it matter about high & low end gear pairing respectively?

I'm not going to claim that I know what @Stillhart exactly means, but I think he is trying to say this:

The HD800S seems to be more forgiving, so it's more likely to sound better out of lower-end gear than the HD800. On the other hand, the HD800 being less colored (and presumably more transparent) means that it will shine brighter on higher-end gear than the HD800S will.

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #249 of 658
Those were really interesting. They are super open sounding for a closed back headphone. They actually sound really, really great for the price. My only issue with them is the build quality seems to be a little delicate.

Is this the Verisonix?

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #250 of 658

So cool that you managed to snag the ONLY 800S at the show for this comparison.

I've got to agree with you on the HD800 with the LW and LAu. Listening on my own HD800, I kept thinking - what treble peak? And - wow, that bass!

Since I didn't try the 800S with them, your perspective that it might actually sound a bit colored is interesting. Certainly I didn't feel the slightest urge to upgrade to the 800S. More reasons to buy the Gold!

Colored relative to the HD800... compared to most other headphones, it's... not so much.  lol

And yeah, the guys at Source A/V who brought the unit were super cool.  I even ran over the owner of the store, Jason Lord, with a go kart (he needed 30 stitches) and he DIDN'T slit my throat in my sleep!  Class act, that guy!  Anyone local to SoCal should go give that shop a look-see. I can't wait to get down there myself; I hear they have some insane listening rooms and a lot of great headphone gear.

Curious about this. I'm probably wrong as I haven't been following the HD800S closely (but did listen to it in e-earphone last weekend), but from the Fujiya Autumn show last year, I was under the impression that the HDS800 & HDS800S had the same drivers but it was more the pads, housing, etc surrounding the driver that had some tweaking from the IE800 tech. If the driver's the same, would it matter about high & low end gear pairing respectively?

Until I'd heard the HD800 with really high end gear like the Liquid Crimson, I thought it was really treble-heavy with not much bass.  On some very popular mid-fi gear, I couldn't even listen to it for more than a few seconds before the treble got to me.  On gear like that, I think the smoother treble of the HD800S will allow it to pair much better. On the high end gear that makes the HD800 truly sing, eliminating the treble and bass issues, the HD800 feels super transparent while the HD800S feels colored.  In that case, the HD800 is a better choice for me.

I hope that explains a bit better what I meant.  And again, this is all just my opinion on listening for like 5 minutes on the LW after listening to the HD800 a lot on the same system.  YMMV

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #253 of 658

I had the new Rha dac/amp on hand while I was at the rha table and you can find the details I posted earlier here. But I did snap some pics but apologies for them not turning out the best from my phone and didn't retake them as our table got busy quite a number of times.

The back side says a few things and the left front side is round. Turn on the unit from the volume knob at the top of the unit. Bass and treble knobs can increase and decrease depending on what you set it to. Still a prototype but it is getting close to completion! The unit got dropped before I could hear it in action and the battery likely got knocked loose as it was still using a prototype battery. The stuff needed to flash the firmware was back overseas in the Rha offices so couldn't  fix it for folks to listen 
frown.gif

Thanks for taking and posting those pics.

Too bad the amp wasn't operational but I look forward to reading more about it closer to release.

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #254 of 658
30 stitches????  did your go kart have these 

That's what I meant by my post (#65) of this thread. Mr. Lord was doing well the next day enough to still talk trash! Loved it.

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #255 of 658
  30 stitches????  did your go kart have these 

That's what I meant by my post (#65) of this thread. Mr. Lord was doing well the next day enough to still talk trash! Loved it.

Donald North spun out in front of us and then Jason hit him and spun out.  I then T-boned Jason and my kart somehow jumped up on top of his and squished his finger into the steering wheel.  That guy is hard core as **** though.  I was apologizing and asking him if he was okay... his finger was split from his hand to his nail and blood was everywhere... and he declares in his gravelly voice, "I've been in two wars."  He decided not to go to the hospital right away because he wanted to keep racing.  (He was convinced otherwise, thankfully!)

Respect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back