CanJam Singapore 2023 Impressions Thread (March 25-26, 2023)
Mar 26, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #121 of 334
Final Day Impressions from Canjam Singapore 2023

On this day, I basically aimed try to all that was left for me to. I moved between booths with purpose, stopping just long enough to formulate opinions. Of course, I indulged in banter with friends, reps, and industry professionals. That’s usually half (if not most) of the fun for someone who’s plenty satisfied with his present stable. 😊

40F20673-A3BD-42E9-8864-4A37450C9CA3.jpeg

First and foremost, I stopped by the Noble table to say hello to the Wizard. I was pleasantly surprised when he offered to let me demo his soon to be released flagship TWS earbuds, the FoKus Prestige. Other than the premium looks and feels, this is easily the most technically proficient of TWS buds out there! Good midbass, decent resolution, and decent clarity without ever getting sibilant. Impressive one this, if you like a mid-bass punch.

8DA9CFF1-640F-469A-B4EA-8957585D6A3D.jpeg

Next, I spent a good deal of time with the Warwick Acoustics Aperio. What a lovely tonality! Some solid bass for a stat, strong midrange, and decent treble. However, I wasn’t as blown away as I thought I would be with the headphone system’s technicalities. Resolution was perhaps only a minor step ahead of a properly amped 009/009S/X9K. It had some meat on the bones compared to Stax but lacked the ethereal quality many stat aficionados have come to associate with and love about stats. I liked the HE-1 better, but more on that later.

Next, I tried some Thieaudio IEMs, their flagships: the Divinity V16 ($1499) and the Prestige ($1299).

12B88131-7927-4A7A-8929-F00E59DF849F.jpeg

410BBF75-72B4-408D-89B5-1AB7672E7E52.jpeg

Both decent IEMs but I liked the tuning of the Divinity much more. It was a more balanced set with less bass and more clarity in the upper mids. This is worth a try if you like the brand.

C3378A19-D531-46B4-912E-30949D1B9BDE.jpeg

Next, I tried Project Red from @crinacle. I didn’t try it with the impedance adapter which will boost the bass, but I, like most others, found it to be a very competent IEM given that it will be priced at less $100. In fact, at sub-$100, it may become a game-changer. Keep an eye out for this if you are looking for a budget set. You may need the impedance adapter (which I understand it will ship with), if you like more bass than the stock tuning.

00855423-9E73-429E-8F5B-CDACDAC8E0B3.jpeg

I then spent some time chatting with Ken Ball of Campfire Audio. As always, his IEMs are gorgeous and disruptive in the good sense, in terms of aesthetics.

1436604D-4670-48E6-BC86-EB658C88B0F1.jpeg

Cliff notes go something like this: the new Andro is their best one yet (decent bass!), the new Solaris is their best-tuned set (solid all-rounder lacking a tad in resolution), whilst the Trifecta is still too zany for me. I like the looks of the Trifecta but can’t agree with the treble tuning. I admire the brand though for taking risks with their tuning instead of churning out one target-hitter after another. 🙂

DDEC25F7-AE3B-4FFA-967C-E28D22108D3F.jpeg

Acoustone makes some stunning-looking IEMs. They all have a more or less wonky tuning though other than the HS1790Ti, which is absolutely a well-tuned IEM and I would love to spend more time with it. They have a spin-off brand called Madoo and I tried their planar dynamic hybrid called the Type 512, which was interesting indeed. Such fast transients! Made me want to own one just for novelty’s sake.

E1AF092E-B018-418E-B39C-B170528EC0B4.jpeg

Next I moved on to the Nightjar Acoustics booth and spent some time with the Singularity and the Duality.

5EDFB601-0BC3-4B22-A64D-37A0DC368259.jpeg

0865BAA7-0864-4666-B279-F3DCF7BBCA33.jpeg

I liked the Duality a lot more, not just for the bass, but it had some superb timbre and technical chops. The Singularity will also be a popular IEM given it’s expected to be priced sub-$1500 when it comes out next month. The Duality will be higher-priced but will not be out until later in the year.

00BC5176-1AD6-4A61-A389-D22615C4AE2F.jpeg

The Lotoo PAW Gold Touch Ti is a good DAP and I understand why people consider it to be neutral in its presentation. It sounds far less colored than the L&P P6 Pro but I prefer the P6 Pro and the Sony WM1ZM2 to the LPGT Ti. The Ti is a tad airier than the regular LPGT.

B1FA7FF7-5E36-4DBF-A471-553445B5C172.jpeg

Meanwhile, the Atrium Closed is Zach’s best closed-back yet. I spent some time with the Cherrywood with Suede Pads and loved how open it sounded and how damn authoritative the bass was. Mids are always good with ZMF so there’s that. Mids are always good with ZMF so there’s that. Mids are always good with ZMF so there’s that. This may be the best closed-back in the market, especially if you like the ZMF house sound. I may bring one in for a full review.

4AC45A17-6ED1-4DB7-A37D-42AA86D949A3.jpeg

The 64 Audio U4S was not my jam. I understand its priced around $1000 but even in that price range, its not resolving enough and the transients are soft and mushy.

I liked the Fourte Blanc though, better than the Fourte OG. Solid subbass foundation and damn resolving even if the tuning is a tad wonky in the treble. 64 Audio has a way of pulling off wonky tunings and still making them sound palatable and occasionally exciting.

383FBD5A-932A-4995-B3F8-316F48C0720F.jpeg

The new Utopia is a tad more pleasing to me than the old Utopia. And I really liked the old Utopia. Solid synergy with my Sony WM1ZM2 with a subbass and 2KHz boost.

519821B0-EB3C-43F7-8F3D-A1817C055CAC.jpeg

Rosson Audio has a winner in their hands with the MPL-0. At $1799, this is Rosson’s best work yet. Fun tuning yet quite natural-sounding.

F0688C9E-BEC9-4C9B-B6AD-0E2965D9CC24.jpeg

@ElysianAcousticLabs’s yet-to-be released Dio will be their best IEM yet. They have fixed the bass with this one. Sounds damn tacticle and textured whilst retaining a lot of the treble quality that made the Anni so popular. Looks like the Anni in current prototype form but likely will look different when released later this year.

6214B259-C230-4AD7-A52A-6A59CC68096D.jpeg

I didn’t like the MEST MK3 much. Odd treble. I prefer the MK2, although the MK3 is more resolving. I liked the Mason Fabled Sound however: Unique Melody’s most expensive IEM at $5999. I don’t know many who own it and I wonder why not. I may prefer it to the Trailli but not to the Jewel.

2BB099BE-4C5F-48D1-AEF3-7ACD67E9DB86.jpeg

I have never liked the DCA Stealth or Expanse much, but the Corina was something interesting in offering a meatier and thicker presentation for a stat. I wouldn’t buy it however because I prefer the Stax headphones to it. And the Corina does not have the technical chops of Stax.

19A36FA5-685E-4F40-A7E2-01D62317BB6A.jpeg

Last but certainly not the least, I tried the Sennheiser HE-1 (for the second time). I liked it much more this time. In fact, I loved it this time.

1591876E-D67F-4C23-8576-1221B0FBEB8E.jpeg

Maybe the stunning views of Marina Bay from the 35th floor suite that Sennheiser booked, had something to do with it.

17E9C41F-B57D-40B3-9CB0-E529E2E561BB.jpeg

The HE-1 has the best bass of any estat on the planet, thicker and deeper and more impactful than the Aperio. The midrange sounds more natural than the Aperio and the treble walks a beautiful line between polite and sparkly. The only nitpicks are that the staging is not the widest (although stage depth is great!) and midbass can be a bit thin on certain tracks. But I loved it overall and the @Sennheiser rep hosting us, Mr Wee Hong, was great to chat with.

79AA3E64-7937-4BF4-88FD-8B6EF594CC84.jpeg

Listening to the HE-1 was a sweet, sweet way to end an overwhelming and I dare say, emotional two days of audiophiling.

CanJam was a blast. Singapore is audiophile city and it was awesome to experience and contribute to the passion of the local and global Head-Fi community.

So grateful for the experience.

Until next time. Hope to see some of you in London!

Thanks, I loved reading this post and great photography.

Mar 26, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #122 of 334
I have never liked the DCA Stealth or Expanse much, but the Corina was something interesting in offering a meatier and thicker presentation for a stat. I wouldn’t buy it however because I prefer the Stax headphones to it. And the Corina does not have the technical chops of Stax.

19A36FA5-685E-4F40-A7E2-01D62317BB6A.jpeg
I read positives and negatives on the Corina. Were you able to listen to them on at least two different stat amps? How did you find them not technical?

Mar 26, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #123 of 334
Any additional info on the Noble Fokus Prestige? Price? Release date?
In particular I would love to know if it adds 2 features missing form previous Fokus releases:
1. LDAC
2. Multipoint

Mar 26, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #124 of 334
What has been the general impression of IEMs that are expensive, 2000 plus. I have listened to IEMs costing over 3000 dollars and was not impressed at all. And if given to me, I most likely wouldn't use them, because the sound was off and didn't like the high of a few of them. I preferred the better 800 to 1500 dollars IEMs. I think more thought was put into the sound than just add up the cost to be at a certain point.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #125 of 334
7:39am... Pan Pacific Breakfast Buffet impressions please! :joy: Dunno if they still have it, but I love their Congee station. We have nothing like that here in the States. :cry:
Almost every hotels in Asian countries I tried are very good in their breakfast buffet, especially in Taiwan.

Mar 26, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #126 of 334
I can't for the life of me make sense of the reports I've heard of the VE prototypes from SG. 1/3 of them make me think that VE switched them from NYC, 1/3 make me think they're the same ones I heard in NYC and 1/3 sound like two entirely new IEMs altogether.
I find myself disagreeing with a number of individuals impressions of IEMs so far. That will always occur a bit, but I feel like way more than usual.

Mar 26, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #127 of 334
Anyone with feet on the ground please let us know any feedback on the EF600 if you have a chance, it seems like there isn’t a single independent review anywhere!

Mar 26, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #128 of 334
Went to camjam since the morning had a chance to try quite a lot of good stuff and picked up a mass Kobo 475 for myself as well. Just some impressions

1) Campfire audio
Andromeda 2023 - Compared to my own older Andros, the treble doesnt
sparkle like it used to. There is actually some weight to the bass now but does sound a bit muddy. It also has
more air compared to my own old Andros, similar for the Solaris compared to my Solaris SE.

Solaris Stellar Horizon - Nice air, very good for live recordings and orchestral music. Nice thumb to the bass but controlled such that it doesnt bleed into the mids, doesn't have the detail in bass texture like the Odin's does but it's still quite enjoyable. For an all rounder I prefer my Solaris SE but I can see how the new Solaris would do better in certain genres like live recording especially since there is better air and wider staging.

Trifecta - Being all BA, standard BA bass problems, doesnt have the heft and weight of DD bass but since I listen to Jpop and some songs are mastered / mixed such that some BA only IEMs can still produce pretty good bass so not too much problems. Pretty nice detail, and again there is air and quite wide staging.

Overall Solaris > Trifecta > Andros for me. Really sad the Andros don't sparkle like they used to... Although I also understand it was that sparkle that could be come sibilance in some cases.

2) Vision Ears
VE7 - Very well balanced, slightly colored sound with some nice energy .The bass still had a nice thump but still a bit away from my Odin's. Overall an enjoyable sound.

Red Anniversary - Very safe and laidback sound. A bit too boring for my taste, the bass was lacking on some of the music I was listening to despite having DD for Bass.

Blue Anniversary - More energy overall, in the bass and slightly in everything else. A more exciting and musical pair of IEMs compared to reds. Bass can get a bit much on bass heavy genres.

VE7 > Blue > Red

3) Empire Ears / Collab with A & K
Odyssey - I get where ppl are saying it is somewhere btw the EVO and Odin's,bass is
tamed a little bit more but can still give a massive thump, mids and treble are still very resolving like both EVO and Odin's just that they aren't as much in the background as compared to EVO. Bass is more meaty and has weight comparative to Odin's which is focusing a bit more of subbass.

Raven - Somewhere in between the Odyssey and Odin for me I think.....

4) Fatfreq
Maestro SE - Surprisingly not as bassy as the frequency measurements may suggest. Boomier compared to my Odin's but still has nice bass texture, and definitely not trying to be the star of the show like the EVO. Overall quite an enjoyable listen.

Grand Maestro - Has a default and vocal mode switch. In default mode the vocals and treble a too recessed for my liking and in vocal mode are a little too bright. For those who want to have the 2 in 1 option for laidback and energetic iem. Too much of each for me with no middle ground

Maestro SE > Grand Maestro

5) Unique Melody
MEST Mk 3 - Overall very coherent and nice sounding pair

6) Elysian
Annilator - Similar to 2021 version, just some improvements in the internal wiring etc. Good resolution, nice weighty yet textured base, wider staging compared to Odin's with just the right amount of air. Really good IEM, my favorite among all that I heard.

7) Zeppelin
ZMF Atrium Open & Closed - Tried them both on the Cayin 6A Amp, Open very natural sounding with longs of air very good for old live recording, like old jazz music. Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong sounded lovely. Louis Armstrong was a bit too much for the closed as his Ss were quite sibilant.... My focal Utopia did not like the 6A unlike it's younger brother the 3a, bass is definitely weightier compared to it's supposed usual leaner and punchy bass but seems to be muddied in a weird way.

AT WA2022??? (The nice japanese laquer one) - Paired with the DCS Lina stack, very clean and resolving but too bright for my liking. Lina delivering a clean sound as usual. The headphones, not too excited about it....

8)Mass Kobo
Susvara and 465 - flawless, enough said. Really good pair that does well with everything I threw at it from hip hop, j pop, orchestral, mando pop. Best pairing for good reason.

475 - From my RS6 to the 475 to my Utopias. My Utopias are very agreeable to this set up, definitely helps it to showcase everything it has to offer out from the RS6. I was then told to try my Odin's on it too. I thought it would be a bit much since my Odin's honestly really didn't need an amp to drive but I was pleasantly surprised that it helped the Odin's open quite a bit. And thus, I whaled on this 2300sgd monster of a portable amp. Definitely worth it.

That pretty much wraps up camjam for me. Happy and poorer haha.
Trifecta - Being all BA? CFA guys will be dead now.

Mar 26, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #129 of 334
Amazing experience today! Managed to try various IEMs - Fir Audio NE4 and Radon 6, UM Mest MK3, FitEar Air, Air 2, TG335, Titan, Accoustune HX2000MX MK2, Madoo Typ512, and Inear Black Bronze Small 2 Driver!

Surprisingly, my fave IEMs among all of them are the FitEar Air and FitEar TG335!

They pair well with my Hiby RS6 DAP.
I love them probably cause they are quite energetic (my DAP is slower sounding), less/suppressed highs (I am very sensitive to highs), bit warm, full bodied, well textured bass, and great mids!

Surely their bass is still not as amazing as Fir Audio kinetic bass technology, but I feel they are just enough for me.

I will still come tomorrow to do more audition and further comparisons! 😉
Did you listen the new MH335HT?😍

Mar 26, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #130 of 334
THX :) Do you know the price and where to order it?

Torben
I saw that the IEM was 2999, it was supposedly having a promotion with a cable that was 1999, the discount was the set at 3999

Mar 26, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #131 of 334
I saw that the IEM was 2999, it was supposedly having a promotion with a cable that was 1999, the discount was the set at 3999
Whew, a cable for 1999 sounds intense lol no pun intended hahaha

Mar 26, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #134 of 334
which ones did you try? (which one was had more bass?)

for us the blue one definitely had more bass; iirc the red one had more bass @ CJ NYC?
Red was the more neutral warm to me while the blue was the more V one. Definitely prefer the red one, super clear and cohesive.

Oh interesting! Yes, at CJ NYC I felt that the Red one was much more V-shaped and in speaking with Oliver the designer, he said that the Red was meant for more of a "live" sound while the Blue was more "studio".

From your guys impressions, it seems like maybe they did swap the colors? Though I'd be a bit surprised if they went through the trouble to do so. Wish I was there to have tried!

Mar 26, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #135 of 334
No time!!! We're rushing from one meal to the next and any spare time is filled with listening to IEMs!

I have a looooong wait at the airport tonight before I fly with Mr. Bogdan to Doha so will try to make up for the radio silence later.

Told the FiRry Bros I had literally given up on them after Kr5 and Xe6 but after glowing stories from @Sifo decided they earned a 3rd chance. Unfortunately resulting in being floored by Radon 6...

drftr
Wanted to message you to chat about the Sho mk2 and then couldn't make it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back