CanJam Singapore 2016 Impressions (February 20-21, 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 4, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #496 of 507

I was waiting for you to say that you had the opportunity to audition the Orpheus whilst waiting in the lounge. Hahah

Didn't I mention that? 
beyersmile.png

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #497 of 507

The showroom actually is at Alexandra Technopark. However, the service centre might be at a different location.

Actually our service centre is located in the same building, just next door 
wink_face.gif

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Mar 9, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #500 of 507

I didn't check the footage while in Singapore and when I got back home found that large chunks were missing.

I edited together what I had and cut some of the fluff out to reduce the overall length.

I'm not happy with the way it turned out but I'm putting it up anyway for posterity's sake.

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #501 of 507
Guys Sorry .. Updating this forum after a very long time of Canjam...

Canjam is over but the memories & experiences it gave will remain forever..with so many gears n equipments to listen to , with Swag contest which had some really great prices even flagship products in prizes too, it was an awesome event and the first one in Asia too  :))
I will share my exp. of it , yes very late but its better to be late than never :) ... 
Well I tried to check many Headphones  & gears & I will simply say 2 days were really very less to get a hold of everything, I missed few to many booths but the one I visited I gave & took their ample time :

Well for me the Top 3 Highlights of the show (esp. headphones) were :
1)Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd Gen.
2)Foxtex TH900
3)Final Audio Sonorous X

BeyerDynamic
a V.Brief comparision of T1 1st Gen / 2nd Gen :
Using via A20 Amp the instant diff. you will find is in the Openness , 1st gen feels a bit more open than the 2nd Gen 
2nd seems more refined with more bass. You will find quite lush Mids here compared to 1st Gen. What seems to me was that due to inc. bass , the warmness affecting lower mids providing it a 
more lusher tone which was a welcome addition to it .
Bass is welcome but I never found T1 bass a bit lacking when used with an appropriate setup.I did spend quite a time with so can easily say those who were affected by more trebly nature of T1
or the so called harsh treble by many will not find any kind of harshness in the Treble now. Its smooth & trebly :) .
But ya with inc. Bass and smoother Treble the 2nd Gen lost a small amount of openness that 1st Gen had which many older fans may not like.
Which one is better , hard to say , Its a completely personal choice. Fans of bigger soundstage , openness will tend towards older gen. and one who wants all-in-one package Bass/Smooth Treble/Lusher mIds with a Good
Soundstage will go to 2nd Gen.
As usual the instruments placement on Beyers has been a top-notch on both the Gen's.

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #502 of 507
Beyer T5p 2nd  :
Having owned the Beyer T1 1st Gen. for almost an year , Beyer was the first booth I visited & yes it kept me hooked for a long time their , thanks to their new release T5p 2nd Gen .

T5p 2nd Gen :

OMG !!! I have to say Beyer completely nailed it with their T5p 2nd Gen. This headphone hooked me to more than an hour their only listening via the setup at Booth(their Tracks) & the one's I brought.Tesla tech has been brought up to a mere 32 ohm impedance so that's a really awesome stuff.
I checked this Can with directly from my Mobile MotoG(vi Poweramp Player) & Beyers own A20 Amp , but have to say the performance of Tesla Drivers here with a mere normal mobile was just Awesome to say in words.I can simply say it was better than T1's both Gen. in many aspects .Comparing to them it had better Bass , both Sub n Mid , great Treble , bit airy but what I have seen & listened, its really hard to maintain the airy nature of Treble with a Solid Quality Bass, but T5p were able to maintain both.Also that famous Beyer Harsh Treble is no more there. Treble is smooth and silky presenting a nice detail. And now if you say anyting about mids being recessed or so . No they were spot on ,Vocals were great & other insturments too. Mids bass & Treble all were balanced in a v.nice manner .. Hard to mention , can just say better have a listen to it . All were such neatly balanced , and you can hear everything so effortlessly that it was just great to listen. It was not just to hear details, micro-details of each n every single instruments but was hooked with the tonality and melodiness of it ( we use word melody basically for tunes but what I want to say that it effortlessly pulled each n every detail with being melodious)

Then the soundstage was really Great , being a closed headphone the Sound Stage was a Great one infact obviously beating many Open headphones. It felt completely Circular with great sep. & imaging, placements of each instruments inside the sound-stage were done beautifully in depth n width with nice verticality to soundstage (Beyers are already known for that, nothing new to mention here),but beauty here was the presentation which was so coherent in nature which really lets you enjoy music with an ease , lets you feel you are there whether listening to music & or watching movies etc.

The Beauty was the Balanced sound ..Great Mids Quality Bass & a nice airy treble with openness, well I can keep praising it I spend a lot of time there with it.

Tracks Listened :
Speed Demon - Michael Jackson (The starting few seconds of it can be used to check width as the sound moves around back of your head from left to right)
Extreme Ways - Moby - The Bourne Ultimatum(The starting few seconds of it can be used to check Verticality of SoundStage)
Young Blood - AudioMachine - Epica
Scars of Time - Chrono Cross OST
Billi Jean - Michael Jackson
Thriller - Michael Jackson
Find Your Way - arrange - Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy OST 
L's Theme - DeathNote OST
Snow's Theme - FFXIII OST
Sabre's Edge - FFXIII OST
Those for the Purge - FFXIII OST
Vile Peaks - FFXIII OST
Glory's Fanfare - FFXIII-2 OST - To see the impact of Bass keeping in melodiness of the Track 
Yaar Na Miley - "Kick" Bollywood Song
Sarajevo (BlackmIll remix) - Loz Contreras
The Yearning - Phrenik by Simplify

I also had with me two Uncharted 4 Trailers 
I need to test Cans with videos too because first Headphones are also used for movies/series/gaming etc. , to test their all round perfomance, which I feel is very necessary for any Cans.
Also v.imp thing is that when you are watching you are generally more hooked up with the video part or say more occupied with your visual senses with sound playing a role to immerse you in it(also the visual sense plays a more primary role than our hearing senses) .And also its not possible that you are able to hear all sounds in a particular scene becuase your first sense is occupied with watching video so many sounds you just dont listen or say if you listen ,you basically perceive , it takes your attention for a millisecond and then back & all those sounds must be present in a v.coherent manner so that you feel the video in a complete cinematic manner the way director or creator wants you to immerse in it . So its very important for a headphone which can help you perceive all the microdetails , can grab your attention to fine details along with being Cinematic in nature (as you first n foremost senses used are your visual ones)and keeping positions of diff. audio cues spot on .

1) Uncharted PSX 2015 Trailer : This Trailer(kind of Story Trailer) is Great to get you hooked, to immerse you in the cinematic quality of it . Obviously Sound plays the most important role in it . 
If the presentation is not quite correct it may lack in its Cinematic quality , sometimes with some setup's character voices can be a bit more forward some tones can be more forward than others loosing the dynamism of the entire sound or the cinematic natuyre which it could have provided but if all is balanced and presented in a balanced nature this trailer can hook you with its cinematic story quality to a very large extent. 
Have to say , voices were spot on the way they should be ,the ambient sounds/waves were amazing Intricate details could be hear with a spot on and v.accurate directionality.
(Some details I found out at Canjam only which I didnt figured out earlier) but the way trailer was meant to be to completely immerse you with it quality
video and audio , T5p did an awesome job to provide you all micro details , spot on position of different enviromental sounds and the immersive nature of it,keeping coherency & dynamics present in it the way it should be.
From 00:32 to 00:37 you can very easily hear all the environmental details & the bell whisteling changing its direction as Nathan moves to open the door.
The sound of Door being open wasn't too close or too far , it felt perfect & same things with the character voices then.Not too forward not to laid back , not over-whelming
to take over other frequencies of sound(many Cans do make vocals/mids more clear n easy to hear by putting them more upfront but not in coherence with other sounds)
which helps you in easy listening perceiving the voices but lacking in coherence with surrounding music/sound , so not portraying the way director wants you to fall
In such case such sound does not do a complete justice to a video, also not portraying the Actual cinematic quality of the video. But with T5p it was perfect you will 
blend with the awesome cinematic quality of the video achieved by the music which helps you immerse in it.The portion from 00:48 to 1:59 has characters talking to each
other but its background scores which does wonder in hooking to you into it & that was superbly portrayed by it.
The enviromental details from 2:01 to 2:10 are brought with a great quality with a small steamer going from left and coming in picture from 2:05 , its sound with accurate
directionality can be held from instant when you come out in the open area. It was superbly clear and perceivable.
Then again the ambient kind of score starts from 2:21 to 3:01 were great with all environmental details around you can easily here , steamer going sound of water , creaking of wooden 
floor at background ,frogs and sound of insects , all micro details were easily heard with sound being coming from a bit far as it should be but easily heard 
The portion from 4:31 to end is very imp. as it ends the trailer with a dramatic nature, with the Uncharted 4 logo on the screen the background score should be presented with both
airy treble as well as bass and t5p presented both with great presentation n detail. 

T5p brought an amazing experience along with an ambience & being natural sounding, superb imaging of micro details in soundstage & was able to portray a complete Cinematic Experience.

2)Uncharted 4 E3 2015 Trailer :
I wanted to use for few things. First how the way sound is presented, ability to engross you with its presentations , positional directionality, environemntal sounds their accuracy , their distance , sound of bird flying far shall feel distant meaning all the environmental effects with spot on accuracy and finally the impact the guns & bombs are providing.

To keep it brief , The specific portions which I checked from this video to test various things were(the same instacne were used for all Cans/Equipments testing in Canjam)

5:42 to 6:20 to check the various environmental sounds how they were portrayed their imaging ..distance ..height , how it made you feel as their were sounds of nature birds etc 
with wind blowing and you waliking through the grass etc.
6:26 to 6:39 to check the echo of voice with sound of wind breezing then sound of bullets with dierctionality and accurated placement of birds flying at that time.
Remember you do not have to focus on sound rather focus on watchig video and let the sound come itself and check what are you able to perceive and hear 
8:12 to 8:28 - basically to check the directionality of guys under floor and then the person who saw Nathan when he is on Ledge.
9:00 to 9:15 to check directionality , grenade beeps and expolsion impact (from behind) when drake jumps using via rope at 9:12 the impact of grenade with sound of air while 
the time he is in air with immediate directionality check when enemy starts firing again at upper ledge behind him & natahn turns around.
9:25 to 9:41 helps in testing spot on directional accuracy further more with diff. directions (vertically & enemy not present in scene).
finally 10:03 to 10:20 checking the impact of explosion and gun firing.
And obviously the very start of video from 00:08 to 00:22 which sets a tone for the video , it has bass & airy details both to it.

And the beautiful part was that all above was demoed via directly with my mobile source , no other source/amp in between. So it was quite a perfomance directly via it.

With A20 amp , I will simply brief out , Soundstage got a bit smaller esp. in height ,a bit open-ness was lost, Over all Sound in all areas was more refined and smooth , nothing else to add to it.

I have to say I got jealous of the person winning T5p 2nd Gen in Swag Contest which I can't participate into :p

Will keep updating further impression of other Headphones & Canjam by this week.

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #503 of 507
Fostex Th610 Prototype

Well after listening to this at Canjam Singapore I had to say it was a great value of money . Its still not clear what its price would be but as per the discussion at Canjam it was it would be costing around 599$ & I will say at that price it's a stellar product & a steal!!

As Far we all know Fostex are known for their Superb Bass , For the Th610 - It had Good Bass,both in quality and quantity 
Mid-Bass present there has impact but is not too much on the higher side , also it is not overwhelming & doesn't interfere 
with Mids, but is still present their in a much balanced manner & good quantity. Infact at present state It felt like Bass was 
more on the balanced side and felt of better quality than their Th900 mk2, which was really really great .

Mids are little bit on lusher side, not much but yes a tint of lushness is there .Vocals & presentation along with it was a bit on intimate side 
with it.But moreover the Mids felt balanced for the whole lower to upper mids with a bit of warmness in it.

Treble is smooth n detailed , basically less Treble is there compare to what you are used to other Fostx high end Cans & also to similarly priced Cans like Senn HD700 etc but still it was able to present all details as well as micro-details with ease . Treble was completely smooth, refined & no harshness was present.

Soundstage was normal one- not too big but not too intimate. It was having an average soundstage having good depth/height/width where the width 
is at the biggest but the imaging placement inside that soundstage was great. And the black background was perfect there. In soundstage & directionality 
department obviously it lacked but only when compared to TH900 mk2.

Overall it was a Good time auditioning it , it was a very pristine quality & balanced sound which at first felt like you are listening to any flagship phone thanks, to much better balanced sound signature of it with a just a bit of lushness on the mids side. I hope it further improves upon from here with a lil more soundstage or a lil more treble but then that sound signature keeping other things intact will raise its quality to such a level at which its price will not be kept around 600$ but much more.

Mar 31, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #505 of 507

CJSG16-65.jpg

Hi, thanks for all these great pics and comments! I have a few questions about some of them, if you wouldn't mind to explain further?

1) What's the big block above (amp?) with transparent top and sides? (brand, model name and any description if possible).
And how about the black/charcoal Amp (or DAC or whatever) next to it in the middle of the pic?

2) Also, you said "Cozoy is showing the new REI - which is definitely better sounding than Aegis"
(see pic below):
CJSG16-71.jpg

...and the other two portable amp are from Phatlabs.

I love how the Phantasy looks. Nathan reviewed it today on the site but I haven't gotten to reading it myself yet.

Apr 5, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #506 of 507
Did the sound-stage imaging improve much using the Dave with your KSE1500?
As much as say, like the SR-009 with a good electrostat amp?

Some say the imaging of the KSE1500 system is not as wide as the top Stax.
Thanks

The Chord Dave. Tested it out with my KSE1500 using rca to stereo. Really good details, punch in the mids and all round enjoyable signature. The greatest improvement was those small little bass rumble within the tracks thats mixed with the vocals. Its all clearly heard today. Great stuff!

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #507 of 507

No the soundstage did not improve much. The thing is is the kse1500 will never have the same stage as a good open can. It's still big for a iem though. The Dave biggest improvement is how clean and clear everything is. And the seal of a iem really brings out every little thing even in a not so quiet place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back