CanJam Shanghai 2019 Impressions Thread (November 9-10, 2019)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 10, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #46 of 94
All that I hear about HEDD being huge! Largest, bestest of best I have heard.....high end and so on...

I rarely see anyone mentioned that they compared it to the best of Stax? Or even the Orpheus II

have you guys tried either one of those top of the line Headphones champs ?
Otherwise, Bestest of the best and highest of the huge is just that you are impressed about HEDD, and even so... should bE taken with a grain of salt

Or maybe comparing it to a nice Hd800S setup which I gotta say, HD800S is dependent on the Amp and sources. I would take GSX MKII + HD800S for a references here. That would be a nice comparison on similar price range VS a well known Setup

it would be better to have some references in your statements and claims in your impressions.

thank you

So on the one hand, I take mild offense at your tone. When I used the word 'biggest' I said they were the biggest I had laid hands on - didn't say they were the biggest in the world. And while I did describe them as perfect, I didn't say they were the best. Most of all though, these were quick impressions, hurriedly written down at the end of the day in an effort to give people an idea of what was there and how I felt about what I heard. This was not a review.

On the other hand, you're absolutely right about the need for comparison - it's what I always look for in a review (which this wasn't, but....). Haven't heard the Stax or the Orpheus. Only heard the 800 once when demoing some Chord gear last year, and that was in a very noisy space so I would not claim to be able to judge them, let alone anything compared to them. My closest reference points would be the LCD 3 (a very distant memory) and the HiFiman Ananda (very different class of headphone) - not very close at all to what you're requesting, but that's where I'm at.

I demoed the LCD 3 a few years back, being driven by a decent amp full size amp fed from a similar sized player/DAC. To be 100% upfront, I had not yet gravitated completely to my current reference leanings, but still...I was not impressed. There was nothing wrong with them, obviously, but they did not stand out to me in any way. I couldn't level a criticism at them, but I also couldn't sing their praises. Would I feel differently if I heard them today? Maybe. The HEDDphone, by comparison and with the previous caveats, immediately sounded like a crisp and accurate reproduction of the recording (thankfully HEDD had a VERY wide range of songs to choose from, and I listened to Beck's Paper Tiger, with which I am very familiar - more on that below). Bass had impact and texture, highs were detailed without being sharp or sibilant. And in a very un-scientific description, they had something which just clicked with me.

Compared to the Ananda (which is ridiculous really, but here we are)....the HEDDphone reveal the coloration in the Ananda's presentation due to their linearity. Presentation is more spacious but I think in some ways it had less depth than Hifiman's cans. I would have to have a serious listen and possibly AB to really confirm (I listened for about two minutes). Much higher resolution (source was an iPad to Dragonfly (red I think) and then into Questyle amp) compared to Ananda's driven by M11 - is that fair to compare? Not sure, but didn't have the option to line up the gear and AB. Much more precise (which is the same thing really). But at the same time, when I say "much more" it's not really much. It's just a definable difference which is more than very slight - and very slight is often what we deal with when we compare upper bracket gear. Did they ruin the Ananda's for me? No, not at all, I was still enraptured when I listened to my cans later on at home.

More than this, I could not say at this point (which is why I didn't say it originally). I listened briefly and was beyond impressed. I didn't compare in my head, I simply experienced them and loved them immediately. As did my wife. My friend, however, found they did nothing for him at all (like me with the LCD 3).

With your knowledge and experience, it would be great to have your take on these headphones - if you ever get a chance to demo them please either PM me with your opinion or PM me with a link to your posted opinion in here. No snide or sarcasm here, I'll be taking an active interest in these cans from now on (though they are priced out of my comfort zone currently!)

Nov 10, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #48 of 94
So on the one hand, I take mild offense at your tone. When I used the word 'biggest' I said they were the biggest I had laid hands on - didn't say they were the biggest in the world. And while I did describe them as perfect, I didn't say they were the best. Most of all though, these were quick impressions, hurriedly written down at the end of the day in an effort to give people an idea of what was there and how I felt about what I heard. This was not a review.

On the other hand, you're absolutely right about the need for comparison - it's what I always look for in a review (which this wasn't, but....). Haven't heard the Stax or the Orpheus. Only heard the 800 once when demoing some Chord gear last year, and that was in a very noisy space so I would not claim to be able to judge them, let alone anything compared to them. My closest reference points would be the LCD 3 (a very distant memory) and the HiFiman Ananda (very different class of headphone) - not very close at all to what you're requesting, but that's where I'm at.

I demoed the LCD 3 a few years back, being driven by a decent amp full size amp fed from a similar sized player/DAC. To be 100% upfront, I had not yet gravitated completely to my current reference leanings, but still...I was not impressed. There was nothing wrong with them, obviously, but they did not stand out to me in any way. I couldn't level a criticism at them, but I also couldn't sing their praises. Would I feel differently if I heard them today? Maybe. The HEDDphone, by comparison and with the previous caveats, immediately sounded like a crisp and accurate reproduction of the recording (thankfully HEDD had a VERY wide range of songs to choose from, and I listened to Beck's Paper Tiger, with which I am very familiar - more on that below). Bass had impact and texture, highs were detailed without being sharp or sibilant. And in a very un-scientific description, they had something which just clicked with me.

Compared to the Ananda (which is ridiculous really, but here we are)....the HEDDphone reveal the coloration in the Ananda's presentation due to their linearity. Presentation is more spacious but I think in some ways it had less depth than Hifiman's cans. I would have to have a serious listen and possibly AB to really confirm (I listened for about two minutes). Much higher resolution (source was an iPad to Dragonfly (red I think) and then into Questyle amp) compared to Ananda's driven by M11 - is that fair to compare? Not sure, but didn't have the option to line up the gear and AB. Much more precise (which is the same thing really). But at the same time, when I say "much more" it's not really much. It's just a definable difference which is more than very slight - and very slight is often what we deal with when we compare upper bracket gear. Did they ruin the Ananda's for me? No, not at all, I was still enraptured when I listened to my cans later on at home.

More than this, I could not say at this point (which is why I didn't say it originally). I listened briefly and was beyond impressed. I didn't compare in my head, I simply experienced them and loved them immediately. As did my wife. My friend, however, found they did nothing for him at all (like me with the LCD 3).

With your knowledge and experience, it would be great to have your take on these headphones - if you ever get a chance to demo them please either PM me with your opinion or PM me with a link to your posted opinion in here. No snide or sarcasm here, I'll be taking an active interest in these cans from now on (though they are priced out of my comfort zone currently!)

Myself (and others literally by the 'likes' of it) appreciate your pics and impressions. Such efforts are helpful to those of us who are unable to attend the show.

I've read every impression I could find of the Heddphone over the past months and have yet to read any negative impressions about how they actually sound. Anyone, including myself, who hasn't tried them is certainly in no position to question someone who has simply because of their positive impression. Why not the opposite thought: What if they're really that good?

Makes no sense how others' contribution to the discussion is criticism of what someone else actually submitted. If you were overly critical of the Heddphone would you then be associated with a competitor?

Nov 10, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #49 of 94
Myself (and others literally by the 'likes' of it) appreciate your pics and impressions. Such efforts are helpful to those of us who are unable to attend the show.

I've read every impression I could find of the Heddphone over the past months and have yet to read any negative impressions about how they actually sound. Anyone, including myself, who hasn't tried them is certainly in no position to question someone who has simply because of their positive impression. Why not the opposite thought: What if they're really that good?

Makes no sense how others' contribution to the discussion is criticism of what someone else actually submitted. If you were overly critical of the Heddphone would you then be associated with a competitor?
As someone who has tried almost every headphone on the block and been largely unsatisfied by the current market, the HEDD genuinely is that good. I think it has better layering than the SR007, which is a massive feat, and has the slam and dynamics to compete with the best offerings from Focal and ZMF. And sure it might not have 009 levels of detail retrieval or HE1 levels of separation or layering but this is a $2000 headphone which has overall less flaws than either of them. It’s ridiculous how good of a headphone it is.

Nov 11, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #50 of 94

my apologies as I intended no offenses. Thank you for your impressions and some points of references very much.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #51 of 94
M11 Pro:
Outstanding. This was one of the show highlights for me. One of the helpers there was happy for me to slide in my own microSD and I tested it with B&W P7s which I know well, with a bunch of test tracks I know well. So good I went back and did the same again right at the end of the show. Great detail, balance, sound stage, deeeeep bass, non-sibilant highs, intuitive music app. Great value for money.

Great Info.... this make me even more excited to see what the M15 Pro will be ! No mention there about the M15 & M15Pro ?

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #53 of 94
Didn’t see any info there about it, and actually didn’t even think to ask the attendant.

thanks anyway. So, let's wait till december..

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #54 of 94
thanks anyway. So, let's wait till december..

That soon? Great. I’d love to hear the new model side by side with the M11 Pro. In general my feeling from the show, from models like the iBasso DX160 and M11 Pro, is that price to performance is just getting better and better these days :)

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #55 of 94
Anyone check out the new Dacs using AKM 4499 chips specifically the Topping D90 and Gustard A22 at the show. Gustard is dual 4499 chip with xmos 208. Topping single? 4499 chip with xmos 216. Any further details would be great.

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #56 of 94
my apologies as I intended no offenses. Thank you for your impressions and some points of references very much.

No worries and thanks - I am, perhaps, too sensitive!! Despite that, I did think you had a point :)

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #57 of 94
Great Info.... this make me even more excited to see what the M15 Pro will be ! No mention there about the M15 & M15Pro ?

Didn't get any real details (he mentioned the chips they were using but I'm afraid I don't remember) - just that it was coming soon and would be around 8000RMB. Hope they reverse the decision on the SD card.
With the M15, they will have something for pretty much every budget. I honestly think they're killing it right now (Play Store issue is a real shame but makes no difference to me personally - I recognise that it makes a HUGE difference to others).

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #58 of 94
Didn't get any real details (he mentioned the chips they were using but I'm afraid I don't remember) - just that it was coming soon and would be around 8000RMB. Hope they reverse the decision on the SD card.
With the M15, they will have something for pretty much every budget. I honestly think they're killing it right now (Play Store issue is a real shame but makes no difference to me personally - I recognise that it makes a HUGE difference to others).

do we have any thread dedicated toward M15pro ?

Nov 11, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #59 of 94
not yet. I guess it will soon be necessary... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back