1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CanJam @ RMAF 2018 Impressions (Oct 5-7, 2018)

Tags:
First

Back
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Next

Last
  1. BunnyNamedCraig
    This has a fraction of the likes it deserves... Simply amazing show recap @miceblue!!!!

2. Hansotek
    Yeah, if you've never been to a Canjam, @miceblue 's show report really gives you a feel for the whole experience!

Loved reading this today. Phenomenal job Mike! :)

3. fzman Contributor

True dat! And you are both great people-glad to know both of you and to get to spend time hangin' and dinin'

miceblue and BunnyNamedCraig like this.
  4. NovaFlyer
    @miceblue Awesome writeup! Thanks for sharing.

miceblue likes this.
  5. SoundHelmet
    Headphone use ONE full range drivers that produces everything. Speakers need multiple drivers because they need to project sound into an entire room. Small drivers can't push bass very far and big drivers will be more likely to break up at high frequency. So speakers need more than one driver . Headphones sit right next to your ear so one small driver can do it all.

6. up late
    that is the reviewer's subjective opinion (which i and others don't happen to share) so don't take it as gospel. you should hear the utopia for yourself and form your own opinion of how it sounds to you. focal uses beryllium as the material for its tweeters in its high-end loudspeakers. focal chose to use the same material for the utopia's full-range driver because of its rigidity and light weight. there's plenty of information available about this on the interwebs and there are also threads dedicated to the utopia at this forum.

joseph69, Wildcatsare1 and kid vic like this.
  7. Mediahound
    Also Jude, btw:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  8. miceblue
    I generally prefer the Clear to the Utopia too, which is why I bought it. Hearing the Clear next to the Utopia at the Benchmark booth though was an eye-opener for me.

I wish I could have heard the Elegia on the same setup too. I'm not a big fan of the PrismSound DAC/amps they were using at their booth.

9. Mediahound
    Benchmark DACs tend to be like the Utopia, quite bright. At least that has been my impression.

10. up late
    your point being?

11. Soundsgoodtome
    miceblue likes this.
  12. happy hopping
    So if they are about the same, who's going to buy Utopia that is several time the price higher? Focal got to justify the huge price difference for some legitimate reasons

13. up late
    ^ while they may seem "about the same" to you, there are significant differences between the utopia and the clear if you are judging them based on "the huge price difference" alone, which is what you appear to be doing. for example, the beryllium drivers in the utopia cost focal considerably more to produce than the aluminium/magnesium alloy drivers in the clear. so you could count that as one "legitimate reason". you could take the cost of the premium leather and carbon fibre materials used in the construction of the utopia into account as well, but i get the impression that you have already formed your opinion regardless. i hasten to add that i am not attempting to justify the cost of the utopia based on the bill of materials used in its manufacture, which (a) i don't have access to, and (b) would be a misguided exercise imo.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Sp12er3 likes this.
  14. elira
    The problem with very high end stuff is that you need to pair it with the proper equipment to get the best out of it. I’m sure the Utopía are better, at least in the eyes of Focal, but of course always there’s someone that disagrees. I wish I couldn’t notice the difference between cheap and expensive headphones, that way I would have more money.

Sp12er3 likes this.
  15. rkw
    The Focal Utopia has a single full range beryllium driver, but there many headphones that use more than one driver. For example, 1More has an over-ear headphone with 3 drivers and an in-ear headphone with 4 drivers. Some in-ear monitors such as from 64 Audio have as many as 18 balanced armature drivers.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
First

Back
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Next

Last