CanJam RMAF 2017 (October 6-8, 2017)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #181 of 230
Wow I currently own Elear and I'm very interested in Clear! And ZMF's new headphones look beautiful!

Oct 3, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #182 of 230
I'm probably going to bite the bullet and make the drive to RMAF this weekend! Probably going to regret it if I don't.

Do people bring their own headphones to try with different gear? Do they take debit cards or is a checkbook needed?

I'm probably going to come back with some headphone or amp if I go.

Oct 3, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #183 of 230
I'm probably going to bite the bullet and make the drive to RMAF this weekend! Probably going to regret it if I don't.

Do people bring their own headphones to try with different gear? Do they take debit cards or is a checkbook needed?

If you are testing amps or dacs it's always a good idea to have headphones you're familiar with on you, but of course all these manufacturers usually have top of the line equipment at their tables and the "stand-by" hd800 is usually present. A source for testing IEMs is a good idea as well. I would think anyone selling anything will have one of those credit card readers on a tablet or phone, not sure though, I don't go to these to purchase anything since it's not really a sales event.

Oct 3, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #184 of 230
Given the gear shown in the preview video that might be a safe assumption, and we didn't have time to show even half of the gear that's going to be there. There are still a ton of incredible products to experience.
Do people bring their own headphones to try with different gear?
I'd bring a headphone that you know well to help with auditions. It makes demoing amps and sources easier.
Do they take debit cards or is a checkbook needed?
I'd suggest bringing both a card and some spare cash. I seem to remember RMAF not accepting on-site registration via card last year, though I could be wrong on that.
It's a gamble many of us take. At least if you give in to the temptation that you'll have new toys to enjoy when you get home. :D

Oct 3, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #185 of 230
Got an e-mail from HiFiMAN earlier, pre-announcing a new headphone:

SUNDARA
Introducing this amazing new Planar Headphone design from HIFIMAN
Featuring a newly developed Driver and headband at an affordable pricepoint

Anyone heard of it?! I do not recall Jude mention it in his video...
I wonder where does those fit in their lineup... between HEX and 1000? between 1000 and Susvara?
(and what does "affordable" mean, in HiFiMAN's terminology?)

Oct 3, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #187 of 230
We exhibit with HiFiMan and I'm quite familiar with the headphones you mentioned.

My "reference" headphones have been the HE-1000v2 for some time now - nothing compares. The HE-1000v2s were what we were using when we were awarded "Best in Show" by TAS and "Best Innersound at the Show" by Part-Time Audiophile at AXPONA'17.

I could not say enough good things about those headphones: they are the most natural and neutral I've ever lived with.

HiFiMan loaned me a set of Susvaras to use at RMAF and we've been trying to love them.

It is not that they are not empirically better than the HE-1000v2s, it is that you can't play the Susvaras on many great amps.

So when you compare the Susvaras to the HE-1000v2s on an amp that can play the Susvaras I find the Susvaras sound considerably better in all ways. More natural and neutral as well as more detailed and effortless.

Of course that's the problem: we can't get the Susvaras to work right on our reference Annapuran 20B amp. So the combination of our Annapurna 20B amp and the HE-1000v2s is considerably better than the Susvaras.

We're actually going to try engineering an amp to optimally drive the Susvaras in the coming year - I would love to own them. Of course with all things audiophile there is a balance and a synergy that may actually not be possible to achieve.

The HEX are quite an amazing value when you compare them to their better headphones.

To me it would be more a matter of your source, amplification, and cables. If you have thousands of $$$ in a source and thousands of $$$ in your amp I would certainly recommend going with their better headphones. On the other hand, if you don't have the front end to support their better headphones I would recommend spending the extra $$$ on upgrading your source before I would recommend spending more on headphones.

I'm always telling people "If it doesn't come from your source, it can't come from your headphones."

When your headphones are too sensitive compared to your other components all they will do is allow you to hear all the flaws in those components :L3000:

Oct 3, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #188 of 230
We exhibit with HiFiMan and I'm quite familiar with the headphones you mentioned.

My "reference" headphones have been the HE-1000v2 for some time now - nothing compares. The HE-1000v2s were what we were using when we were awarded "Best in Show" by TAS and "Best Innersound at the Show" by Part-Time Audiophile at AXPONA'17.

I could not say enough good things about those headphones: they are the most natural and neutral I've ever lived with.

HiFiMan loaned me a set of Susvaras to use at RMAF and we've been trying to love them.

It is not that they are not empirically better than the HE-1000v2s, it is that you can't play the Susvaras on many great amps.

So when you compare the Susvaras to the HE-1000v2s on an amp that can play the Susvaras I find the Susvaras sound considerably better in all ways. More natural and neutral as well as more detailed and effortless.

Of course that's the problem: we can't get the Susvaras to work right on our reference Annapuran 20B amp. So the combination of our Annapurna 20B amp and the HE-1000v2s is considerably better than the Susvaras.

We're actually going to try engineering an amp to optimally drive the Susvaras in the coming year - I would love to own them. Of course with all things audiophile there is a balance and a synergy that may actually not be possible to achieve.

The HEX are quite an amazing value when you compare them to their better headphones.

To me it would be more a matter of your source, amplification, and cables. If you have thousands of $$$ in a source and thousands of $$$ in your amp I would certainly recommend going with their better headphones. On the other hand, if you don't have the front end to support their better headphones I would recommend spending the extra $$$ on upgrading your source before I would recommend spending more on headphones.

I'm always telling people "If it doesn't come from your source, it can't come from your headphones."

When your headphones are too sensitive compared to your other components all they will do is allow you to hear all the flaws in those components :L3000:

@MojoAudio, I think you're referring to the Susvara, whereas they're talking about one just announced today called the Sundara; and, as I understand it, the Sundara will also be at the show.

@Zachik, you're correct that we did not mention the Sundara in the video, as I don't know that it was a for-sure at the time of shooting. I'm looking forward to hearing it for the first time at the show, too.

Oct 3, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #190 of 230
Just great, a new Focal headphone I'm going to want to get.

Oct 3, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #191 of 230

Bring your cans. It's quite noisy on the CanJam floor, so be forewarned. There are a few rooms with headphone stuff, like the room Ben from Mojo posted about, that are much better. Mostly you learn about stuff and get a chance to touch and try. Critical listening isn't really possible.

Oct 4, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #192 of 230
Hey all - just wanted to post what we're going to have for an amp setup at the ZMF booth:

DAC's: Metrum Adagio and Amethyst (dac/amp)
amethyst002.jpg
AMPS: Decware Taboo MK IV, DNA Stratus, Wells Milo
smheadfi.jpg

And ofcourse I'm looking forward to you all getting to hear the Auteur, our 300 ohm open biocellulose headphone, for the first time!

IMG_5790-2.jpg

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 4, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #195 of 230
That was great, @jude.
Well done...you Rock.

So many new products, so little time...

Nice work planning and announcing the dates for all Can-Jams for the next year!

Do you translate Head-Fi TV into different languages?
You are really fast. Many of our members don't use English as their first language.
Just wondering...

With Warm Regards,
RCBinTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back