CanJam Preparation
Feb 6, 2022 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Feasog

New Head-Fier
Hi! I'm brand new here and found this through signing up for CanJam Chicago. I'm looking forward to going to look for my first entry into higher tier headphones, BUT I have zero idea how to prepare for this or what to bring or expect.

Do I bring my own music? On my phone or what format? Will the vendors have music that you'll listen to? How much time do you have to listen?

I'm a complete noob and just want to make sure I get the most out of my first time. Thanks!

Feb 6, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #2 of 8
First off: welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet. :wink:

Second, prepare to bring a mask with you, as it is required for CanJams now.

Third, if you want to try DACs, then bring at least a 5’ in length USB-A cable that will connect to your phone/DAP and a usb-c adapter and usb-Micro adapter with the USB-A cable,

Fourth, if you want to try amp inputs, then bring a usb/lightning (and Apple camera connectivity kit, or cck, adapter) to 3.5mm dongle and at least a 5’ in length 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable or 3.5mm-to-rca cable.

Fifth, if you want to use your own headphones/IEMs, then bring a 6.35mm, 4-pin-xlr, or 4.4mm adapter with it (single-ended is almost always on every amp and 2.5mm is being used less and less, unless you are using IEMs) and do not use an IEM on a desktop amp without asking a rep exactly about whether you can use IEMs on it or not. You don’t want to damage your IEMs, after all. :wink:

Sixth, make a list of primary headphones/IEMs that you want to try and which tables/companies that you can listen to them, then secondary and so forth, and limit your listening to 5-10 minutes, or 1-2 songs, per table. If there are two more stations at one table that you want to listen, then take five minutes, or one song, per station and get in line for the next station. If you really like to hear everything at that table, then you really should be willing to wait patiently to let others audition before wanting to hear everything table.

Seventh, make sure you can find bathrooms that you can access immediately and out-of-the-way, so that you can quickly walk (don’t run) to them in a emergency.

Overall, just be on as quiet as possible and mindful to others and enjoy the show! :)

Feb 6, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #3 of 8
That was an absolutely fantastic post and should be stickied in canjam threads.

Feb 7, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 8
I am hoping to go to CanJam in Chicago as well. Like the above comment mentioned, bring a mask. Also, since the event is in Chicago and there are very strict covid rules generally, they will probably require proof of vaccination to enter. I have mine on my phone so just be sure to bring it

Feb 7, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 8
First off: welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet. :wink:

Second, prepare to bring a mask with you, as it is required for CanJams now.

Third, if you want to try DACs, then bring at least a 5’ in length USB-A cable that will connect to your phone/DAP and a usb-c adapter and usb-Micro adapter with the USB-A cable,

Fourth, if you want to try amp inputs, then bring a usb/lightning (and Apple camera connectivity kit, or cck, adapter) to 3.5mm dongle and at least a 5’ in length 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable or 3.5mm-to-rca cable.

Fifth, if you want to use your own headphones/IEMs, then bring a 6.35mm, 4-pin-xlr, or 4.4mm adapter with it (single-ended is almost always on every amp and 2.5mm is being used less and less, unless you are using IEMs) and do not use an IEM on a desktop amp without asking a rep exactly about whether you can use IEMs on it or not. You don’t want to damage your IEMs, after all. :wink:

Sixth, make a list of primary headphones/IEMs that you want to try and which tables/companies that you can listen to them, then secondary and so forth, and limit your listening to 5-10 minutes, or 1-2 songs, per table. If there are two more stations at one table that you want to listen, then take five minutes, or one song, per station and get in line for the next station. If you really like to hear everything at that table, then you really should be willing to wait patiently to let others audition before wanting to hear everything table.

Seventh, make sure you can find bathrooms that you can access immediately and out-of-the-way, so that you can quickly walk (don’t run) to them in a emergency.

Overall, just be on as quiet as possible and mindful to others and enjoy the show! :)
Along with some great information, I'm now also worried about having an "accident"... probably wouldn't live that one down.

Everything you said makes sense (especially the wallet part), but one follow-up question would be your third point: if I'm testing DACs, would I need to bring headphones to that or will they have them there? Almost seems hard to tryout DACs if you have a different headphone/DAC combination every time.

Either way, this is great information and I appreciate the help!

Feb 7, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #6 of 8
@warrenpchi Made a great post in the CanJam NYC 2022 thread with his tips:

Hey y'all, since CanJam NYC 2022 is going to be the first CanJam for many of you, I want to share some tips and tricks that I've learned over the years. These are things that I wish I knew, or had thought of, when I first started going to CanJams. Most of these tips are related to logistics and time management, but this first (and perhaps most important) tip stands apart:

1. Never pass up opportunities to meet and hang out with somebody new.

I'm sure you've seen some posts attesting to the same, but CanJams are great places to strike up new friendships with people - some of which will be deep and lifelong friendships that can affect your life in positive ways that are hard to imagine beforehand. I even know people that have struck upon friendships that transcended audio/music, where their families now vacation together. As for my own experience, the very first person I met at my very first event was Jude. Nine years later, he is one of my very best and closest friends, and I now work at Head-Fi. Beat that with a stick (or absurdly stiff power cable if that's your thing)!

2. The show isn't truly two days long, so skip lunch.

I know it sounds like you have plenty of time, but trust me, you really don't. Assuming you attend every minute of the show, that's eight hours on Saturday, and seven hours on Sunday, for a grand total of fifteen hours.

I know that still sounds like a lot of time, but it goes by faster than you think, and there are any number of things that can and will reduce your audition time: conversations with exhibitors; audition stations being occupied when you walk up to them; technical issues with gear or music streaming; necessary personal breaks; seminars (which can be very worthwhile but still take up time); etc.

One of the best ways to reclaim time is to have a large breakfast, loaded with protein to last you through the day, and then skip lunch entirely. Lunch is a huge time suck at shows. It's not just a matter of how long it takes to eat, there's also having to wait in line (because everybody takes lunch more or less around the same time), and possibly additional time spent in traveling to/from off-site restaurants. Srsly, if you can, skip lunch, and have a large breakfast instead... which brings me to my next point.

3. CanJam Breakfast! :relaxed:

If you're going to have a large breakfast, and you're not averse to meeting new people, y'all should organize a Head-Fier's CanJam Breakfast for Saturday morning before the start of the show! I've organized a few of these in my day, but since I'm going to be working the show, I won't have time this year.

If you're thinking of taking the reins and organizing one, what you'll want to do is get everybody sync'd up for a single start time. 7:30a is good if you can't make breakfast reservations and need to wait in line, 8:00a is good if you can make reservations. As for the venue, that's up to you. However, I can tell you that the Marriott Breakfast Buffet, wherever it might be in the world, is fairly consistent in terms of quality, and it's just downstairs.

You're probably thinking "that's crazy early, I'm not gonna eat for two hours!" No, of course you're not. But history has shown that these breakfasts invariably turn into mini meets, as everybody starts to whip out their portable rigs for sharing. "Oh you have the 7Hz Timeless? I've been curious about that." Next thing you know, you've been rolling tips for the past twenty minutes when someone says "hey the show's gonna start soon."

4. Plan on being there both days.

One of the most common points of feedback we get is that sometimes the show is not quiet enough for a detailed audition. That's a function of the exhibition nature of the show, as well as social gregariousness as people do talk/laugh/cry/etc. during the show. There simply is no practical way to overcome that. HOWEVER...

The first hour or two on Sunday morning tends to be deathly quiet in comparison to any other time of the show. I've seen it time and time again. For many people, 10:00a on Sunday morning is just too damned early, and you can take advantage of that. If you're at a point where you've narrowed what you want down to several options, spend some time on Saturday trying to get your choices down to the final two. Then take advantage of this natural quiet hour on Sunday to get in some better auditions to make your final choice.

There are a bunch of other tips as well, but as they tend to be situational, I can't think of them off the top of my head right now. But I hope that the above helps you have a better time at CanJam NYC 2022.

Granted, that includes some specific details for NYC (like the breakfast buffet), but overall, its pretty solid.

Feb 7, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #7 of 8
@warrenpchi Made a great post in the CanJam NYC 2022 thread with his tips:

Granted, that includes some specific details for NYC (like the breakfast buffet), but overall, its pretty solid.
I really appreciate the part on how long to expect to stay. I've been trying to convince myself that one day should be enough, but that seems to be a mistake. Thanks for the link!

Feb 7, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #8 of 8
Along with some great information, I'm now also worried about having an "accident"... probably wouldn't live that one down.

Everything you said makes sense (especially the wallet part), but one follow-up question would be your third point: if I'm testing DACs, would I need to bring headphones to that or will they have them there? Almost seems hard to tryout DACs if you have a different headphone/DAC combination every time.

Either way, this is great information and I appreciate the help!

I seriously don’t think you will have an “accident”, but just knowing where out-of-the-way bathrooms as your own emergency paths is great to just have in the back of your mind and listening to good gear running forward.

In regards to bringing your own headphones or not: you will almost always have a complete audio chain present for demo, but bringing something that you already have previous familiarity using is much more preferential, especially if you can get nit-picky about details. :wink: In general, I feel that having a planar-magnetic over-ear is more versatile at using hi-end audio gear than a electrostat or even dynamic, as you don’t need a backup amp for the former or you don’t get quite as much scalability with the latter. Then again, dynamics can narrow gear down a bit, which is good for your wallet. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back