CanJam NYC 2023 Impressions Thread (February 25-26, 2023)
Mar 2, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #691 of 961
For everyone who stopped by the T+A table, we'd love to hear your impressions... especially on the HA 200, which is kind of their Flagship headphone product right now. Whether positive or negative... we appreciate your constructive feedback.

It's great amplifier and DAC. BUT, T+A made a big mistake on purpose with the designing of this beauty without analog outputs. I didn't get the idea behind this. Do they think they can sell HA 200 and DAC 200 to the same person ? If there would be analog outputs of HA 200 and can be used as DAC probably, it would had the same even more popularity with TT2.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #693 of 961
Oooo le voglioooooooo!! Is that a photo of your pair as your avatar? Zach always seems to bring one or two camphor burl sets of the new models at CanJams...so beautiful!
That is the VC, here's a pic of the AO

Attachments

• IMG20230227155306.jpg
    IMG20230227155306.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 2, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #694 of 961
It's great amplifier and DAC. BUT, T+A made a big mistake on purpose with the designing of this beauty without analog outputs. I didn't get the idea behind this. Do they think they can sell HA 200 and DAC 200 to the same person ? If there would be analog outputs of HA 200 and can be used as DAC probably, it would had the same even more popularity with TT2.
I agree wholeheartedly. I also wish T+A had incorporated SACD playback capability into the MP200.

Mar 2, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #695 of 961
For everyone who stopped by the T+A table, we'd love to hear your impressions... especially on the HA 200, which is kind of their Flagship headphone product right now. Whether positive or negative... we appreciate your constructive feedback.

I'd like to point out that the missing pre Out Was THE reason I never bought the Ha200.

In my case T+A never lost sales since I just "upgraded" to the R Series but there probably are a few potential buyers that reconsidered due to the missing pre out

Additional Feedback on the DAC200:
This one is missing the EQ, Loudness and Crossfeed functions now, so it also did not fullfill my needs.

Feedback on the MP200: This one only is Roon ready instead of a Roon Core. (Like all T+A products)
Imo if a Server does not offer a DAC it should at least be able to work as Roon Core.

On the positive side: all if these have amazing build quality. Look and Sound gorgeous!

Mar 2, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #696 of 961
I've read through this thread and I'm intrigued on how highly the HE-1 is rated - even when Kerry's T2, X9000, SGL etc. were in the same show. Which makes me wonder which of the below is true:

1) I hear VERY differently from most people
2) The HE-1 unit I heard multiple times is defective (I'm not being ironic, I really think this is a possibility)
3) Listening environment plays a HUGE role in these events (i.e. private room vs. crowded hall)
4) Multiple of the above

Mar 2, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #697 of 961
I've read through this thread and I'm intrigued on how highly the HE-1 is rated - even when Kerry's T2, X9000, SGL etc. were in the same show. Which makes me wonder which of the below is true:

2) The HE-1 unit I heard multiple times is defective (I'm not being ironic, I really think this is a possibility)
3) Listening environment plays a HUGE role in these events (i.e. private room vs. crowded hall)
4) Multiple of the above
Since 3 and 1 are certainly true the correct answer is 4) Multiple of the above

Mar 2, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #698 of 961
I am very late to the party due to travel back to the opposite coast, work, and LOTS of catch-up on Head-Fi...
So, in order to avoid re-posting photos and impressions that others already beat me to - I will just share my highlights. In fact, I will do it in the form of my CanJam awards:

* Best audio experience (and also best headphone system): HE-1 session with @goldwerger @HiFiHawaii808 and @Skyediver
* Tie with the HE-1: Shangri-La SR + Headamp Grand Cayman. Sound signature is a little different but on the same summit-fi level.
* Tie breaker: for best audio experience, HE-1 wins because the private session with 3 awesome guys made it very special and memorable :ksc75smile:

* Best Flagship IEM: Noble Ronin (runner up: UM Mentor).

* Best affordable IEM: Subtonic Singularity (pre-production) by @Chang

* Best new headphone: ZMF Atrium Closed. I already own the ZMF Caldera, so it is not a “new headphone” contender for me :wink:

* Best BT headphone: Focal Bathys.

* Best off-show audio experience: mini-meet at @goldwerger 's place along with @HiFiHawaii808 and @buke9 and @GoldenOne
* Runner up: Audio46 "F&F meetup" (or so it felt) on Friday morning. Many people been there... from memory: @Terco @goldwerger @HiFiHawaii808 @buke9 @warrenpchi @HF_Ryan (apologies to whoever I forgot or do not know their Head-Fi alias). BIG thank you to the Audio46 guys who have been so nice and accommodating!!!

* Best off-show non-audio experience: the water-cooler dinner. Felt like a Thanksgiving dinner but without the drama or dysfunctional family members :laughing:

Cannot wait to seeing you all again at the next CanJam!!!
Hey @Zachik - some of us are those “dysfunctional family members” and we’re doing our best here….so please pass the corn…. I need a chaser for these 3 shots of tequila I’m about to take. Thanks.

Mar 2, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #699 of 961

4) Multiple of the above
5) you read a lot of T2, x9000 biased comments which influenced/compromised your perception?

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #700 of 961
5) you read a lot of T2, x9000 biased comments which influenced/compromised your perception?
No, my comment is based solely on my experience and on the gear I own or have heard extensively.

Mar 2, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #701 of 961

4) Multiple of the above
For me, I wasn't overly impressed with the HE-1, but then again that was just with 5 minutes of play time. I've noticed that perhaps I hear things very differently than most though. It sounded natural, with solid bass, but wasn't particularly engaging. From that limited audition, I feel like comparable and better systems can be built. I personally reject the notion that it is at the acme of sound reproduction in headphones. Nevertheless, I'd love to try them again in a more ideal setting for proper evaluation.

Mar 2, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #702 of 961
Sorry but this might be another year where I am not sure how I could get the NYC Canjam 2023 medal. Attended the show and had lots of fun. Please let me know how & where I could request for it:)
Send a PM to @joe and he will add your badge.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 2, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #703 of 961
We want to take a moment and thank everyone who stopped by both our booth on the ballroom floor and spent time with us in the Big Room, it was awesome to see everyone, please enjoy some of the photo’s we got to take of this year’s CanJam New York!
16_9_eStatsCJM_ny.jpg

16_9_c_tri_cen copy.jpg

sus_ballroom.jpg

ta_pse_e.jpg

ygmn_trifecta_sqr.jpg

660s2_a.jpg
660s2_b.jpg

abyss_closed_j.jpg

Last edited:
HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Mar 2, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #704 of 961

I want to underscore what other responders have already said. The lack of preamp outputs on the HA 200 was the critical missing feature for me. I use both headphones and small desktop powered speakers (Genelec 8030C) in my setup. I wanted to buy the HA 200 due to its wonderful sonic performance and truly beautiful case work. I bought a Niimbus US 5 Pro instead, which does offer preamp outputs. The Niimbus is also outstanding and I've been very happy with it. I don't consider it to be a step down. Nevertheless, I started off wanting the HA 200.

stellaris3.jpg

stellaris1.jpg

Thank you to T+A for exhibiting the 200 series and Solitaire headphones at CanJam NYC. I did visit the table and audition the setup again.

CanJamNYC23-04-TA.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #705 of 961
I want to underscore what other responders have already said. The lack of preamp outputs on the HA 200 was the critical missing feature for me. I use both headphones and small desktop powered speakers (Genelec 8030C) in my setup. I wanted to buy the HA 200 due to its wonderful sonic performance and truly beautiful case work. I bought a Niimbus US 5 Pro instead, which does offer preamp outputs. The Niimbus is also outstanding and I've been very happy with it. I don't consider it to be a step down. Nevertheless, I started off wanting the HA 200.

stellaris3.jpg

stellaris1.jpg

Thank you to T+A for exhibiting the HA series and Solitaire headphones at CanJam NYC. I did visit the table and audition the setup again.

CanJamNYC23-04-TA.jpg
that's a very clean setup!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back