CanJam NYC 2023 Impressions Thread (February 25-26, 2023)
Mar 1, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #676 of 960
Howdy y’all, this was my first canjam and man was it memorable. Appreciate everyone for being so wonderful and letting me hear some amazing gear.

Susvara: I had long awaited to hear this one and it exceeded my expectations, I feel as if I’m in the recording studio

Nightjar meteor, singularity, Helios se, subatomic storm: @Chang you have an incredible knack for making some amazing sounding iems, thank you to @wazzupi for getting me in contact with him

Atrium closed: favorite zmf closed back, vocals are so organic and it has a bit more low end than the open

Bought an Ltd caldera thanks to @zach915m

Thank you to @wazzupi for letting me try the Damascus steel noble audio iem

Other products I loved but didn’t have a picture of: shangri la sr, stax sr x9000, dca expanse, maestro se, Meze elite, abyss Diana tc, 64 audio fourte blanc, unreleased modhouse planar magnetic, empire ears bravado mk2

Thank you to everyone who made my trip one for the books, can’t wait for Dallas canjam!

First Canjam, new Head-fier, great write-up of impressions AND walks away with a stunning blue Ltd Caldera? That’s some Rookie of the Year stuff right there!

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #677 of 960
Howdy y’all, this was my first canjam and man was it memorable. Appreciate everyone for being so wonderful and letting me hear some amazing gear.

Susvara: I had long awaited to hear this one and it exceeded my expectations, I feel as if I’m in the recording studio

01350335-7F59-4A8E-BB8A-43FDB7F3FCE4.jpeg

Nightjar meteor, singularity, Helios se, subatomic storm: @Chang you have an incredible knack for making some amazing sounding iems, thank you to @wazzupi for getting me in contact with him

E0008815-3CED-456A-9CC6-FE4F853CAB16.jpeg

Atrium closed: favorite zmf closed back, vocals are so organic and it has a bit more low end than the open

E01E6764-2E2E-4D91-872A-A7F78A45C1A4.jpeg

Bought an Ltd caldera thanks to @zach915m

B83D5616-3DB5-4D3D-B6C4-37A892A030F1.jpeg

Thank you to @wazzupi for letting me try the Damascus steel noble audio iem

C473502D-6B82-46E1-8DA4-44AFD7B1F1EA.jpeg
Other products I loved but didn’t have a picture of: shangri la sr, stax sr x9000, dca expanse, maestro se, Meze elite, abyss Diana tc, 64 audio fourte blanc, unreleased modhouse planar magnetic, empire ears bravado mk2

Thank you to everyone who made my trip one for the books, can’t wait for Dallas canjam!

0689E12E-3CC3-4F88-B65E-ECE3435C707F.jpeg

18071363-5662-49E7-8ADE-D33F0A068C66.jpeg
I think we sat together in the ZMF room when you were testing two headphones back and forth blasting metal music and controlling my source lol happy you found what you were looking for!

Mar 1, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #678 of 960
Radon6 imo is taking away what makes xenon6 so good and special imo. Just for that more neutral feeling...
Chiming in here. I didn't even realize we had a dedicated canjam impressions thread (which shows what an absolute novice I am at using head-fi--what I get for coming back to the hobby after a nearly 10 year hiatus). Also, @wazzupi , it was way cool talking shop with you, however brief it was--you seem like a cool dude and I'd love to hang out more at the next canjam.

Getting the opportunity to meet @bogdan belonozhko in person after a number of pleasant email exchanges was a massive highlight for me, and I'll pretty much continue to simp for Fir forever after my demo experience with the xe6 (Bogdan, if you're reading this, I'd love some more extended demo sessions with your stuff).

I know everyone always talks about  sound first when it comes to IEMs, and I'm not saying we shouldn't, but to me at least ergonomics are always  a factor, even if they're not  the factor in a purchasing decision. I agree that the radon was less of my preferred tuning compared to the xe6, and again, that's completely subjective, but I will say credit should be given where it's due regarding the upgrades made to the cables and particularly the shells. The initial stock cables felt cheap to me, and the one tethered to the radon felt a lot more substantial--not multi thousand dollar eletech premium substantial, but certainly on par with any of Nobles stock offerings. I'll also say, as much as I liked the feel of the metal finish of the xe6 in hand, particularly the heft and the weight, that "premium" feeling was just as much a limiting factor when they were in my ears. The weight, with even a slightly loose seal, tended to make them pop out from time to time--not to such a degree that it was a massive inconvenience, but it happened, and when it did it inevitably screwed with the kinetic bass response.

Comparatively, the radon weigh next to nothing. They're a heck of a lot more comfortable to wear day-to-day, or on a commute, and as a daily driver that's a big win. That, and they're less expensive than the xe6, by a marginal amount, but still. I had a much better fit with them off the bat. If anything, what I'd perhaps like to see is xe6 tuning inside of a radon shell offered as a universal, even as a limited edition.

Mar 1, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #680 of 960
Excellent :wink:

The question now is : « what the best product to buy to add a master clock on my existing HIFI system ? »
Well, I should have asked this earlier. Since I have the Lina DAC I bit the bullet and ordered the Lina master clock. I hope I made the correct choice, as this stuff isn't exactly cheap.

Mar 1, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #681 of 960
Well, I should have asked this earlier. Since I have the Lina DAC I bit the bullet and ordered the Lina master clock. I hope I made the correct choice, as this stuff isn't exactly cheap.
Hi

I thought of the same product, after having tried it with success, but I have the feeling that its connections do not allow to connect it to the MOLA MOLA TAMBAQUI.

That's why I'm looking at other Master Clock products.

If anyone has any recommendations, don't hesitate.

Mar 1, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #682 of 960
Fwiw i couldn’t go back to the Rossini or the Lina without the clock. You might find it very sensitive to power and cables. I would use some studio quality cables with it over audiophile ones. If you have bad power, a mains filter or,better yet, a regenerator makes a crazy difference. Toggling it on/off via the app results in a huge difference in soundstage, imaging, textures and prat after adding them. Shared some impressions on the Bartok thread.
I find it hard to take someone who tells me dacs don’t matter all that much seriously. Is it stupid money? Sure. Is it 5-10% difference, not really.

Hi

I thought of the same product, after having tried it with success, but I have the feeling that its connections do not allow to connect it to the MOLA MOLA TAMBAQUI.

The tambaqui does not accept a clock input afaik

Mar 1, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #683 of 960
Fwiw i couldn’t go back to the Rossini or the Lina without the clock. You might find it very sensitive to power and cables. I would use some studio quality cables with it over audiophile ones. If you have bad power, a mains filter or,better yet, a regenerator makes a crazy difference. Toggling it on/off via the app results in a huge difference in soundstage, imaging, textures and prat after adding them. Shared some impressions on the Bartok thread.
I find it hard to take someone who tells me dacs don’t matter all that much seriously. Is it stupid money? Sure. Is it 5-10% difference, not really.

The tambaqui does not accept a clock input afaik
Exactly, that's why I'm investigating master clock solutions via USB like https://innuos.com/phoenix-usb/.

But I am looking for a quality product... Too bad for me with the DCS Lina Master Clock

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #684 of 960
Valkyria - This is an impressive beast, right out of the gate; an absolute unit in the hands, just a very robust design. When listening, it is equally impressive; one word to sum up its presenation is DYNAMIC. This headphone is at the top of the summit for dynamics and range, it really thumps. One of the better headphones at the show.
Agreed. As a Utopia owner and lover, I can tell you the first thought in my head (right after "dammit, I didn't WANT to love these!") was "is this MORE DYNAMIC than Utopia?" I'm not convinced 100% after a brief 5 minute listen on the show floor, but I am absolutely intrigued enough to put this on my potential endgame list for future research.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #685 of 960
Hi

I highly highly recommend if you have the Tambaqui and the budget allows to explore the Grimm Audio MU1 and leverage the resampled and reclocked AES/EBU connection. It's an astounding combination.

Mar 1, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #686 of 960
I highly highly recommend if you have the Tambaqui and the budget allows to explore the Grimm Audio MU1 and leverage the resampled and reclocked AES/EBU connection. It's an astounding combination.
Thanks @HONEYBOY

I confirm, it is an extremely fiery combination (Grimm Audio MU1 + MOLA MOLA TAMBAQUI). And surprisingly it's the AES/EBU output that you should use.

However it is a Master clock that I am looking after testing the DCS LINA.

Mar 1, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #687 of 960
Agreed. As a Utopia owner and lover, I can tell you the first thought in my head (right after "dammit, I didn't WANT to love these!") was "is this MORE DYNAMIC than Utopia?" I'm not convinced 100% after a brief 5 minute listen on the show floor, but I am absolutely intrigued enough to put this on my potential endgame list for future research.

Can't argue with any of that; Utopia is already towards the top of the heap when it comes to presenting one of the largest range of dynamics in headphones, and somehow I do feel (as you noted, more time is needed to truly ascertain) that Valkyria likely trumps it.

I truly wish the Pulsar had the same level of dynamics and impact, because at $6,000 it would be a much easier sell. Unfortunately, for me, the Valkyria trumped the Pulsar in that category....but $12,000 really is a hell of a price territory for headphones.

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #688 of 960
Sorry but this might be another year where I am not sure how I could get the NYC Canjam 2023 medal. Attended the show and had lots of fun. Please let me know how & where I could request for it:)

Big thanks to @dleblanc343 for giving me a decent amount of time auditing W2022. It's a true masterpiece aesthetically, and oozes warm and engaging tuning. Love its sound very much and it's rare to find this type of tuning in modern headphones - in a good way! I really enjoyed listening to Jazz with it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 11.27.04 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 11.27.04 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Mar 2, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #689 of 960
For everyone who stopped by the T+A table, we'd love to hear your impressions... especially on the HA 200, which is kind of their Flagship headphone product right now. Whether positive or negative... we appreciate your constructive feedback.

HA200Blk1.JPG

Mar 2, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #690 of 960
For everyone who stopped by the T+A table, we'd love to hear your impressions... especially on the HA 200, which is kind of their Flagship headphone product right now. Whether positive or negative... we appreciate your constructive feedback.

It's great amplifier and DAC. BUT, T+A made a big mistake on purpose with the designing of this beauty without analog outputs. I didn't get the idea behind this. Do they think they can sell HA 200 and DAC 200 to the same person ? If there would be analog outputs of HA 200 and can be used as DAC probably, it would had the same even more popularity with TT2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back