CanJam NYC 2023 Impressions Thread (February 25-26, 2023)
Feb 28, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #631 of 961
Lucky guy lol he got me sadly:
1mAfkVP.jpg

Didn’t even tell me what I did wrong! Musta been something I said haha
Looks like you got arrested by the Village People.

Feb 28, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #632 of 961
A few more impressions:

A big shout out to headphones.com and Audio46 for their very generous giveaways. Lots of fun everyone, especially the lucky winners.

Another shout out to those manufacturers who take the extra effort required to turn their products into works of art. ZMF, Spirit Torino and Ear Micro all make excellent sounding products that look as good as they sound. Bravo! The headphone amp at the Spirit Torino table was drop dead gorgeous.

A mention is also in order to the manufacturers who are working tirelessly to push the technology forward. The dcS Lina stack is one such product with a cutting edge DAC that can be updated as needed. Another forward thinking company is Ear Micro. Their true wireless earphones are using bleeding edge technology to push what's possible forward like no other product. Truly remarkable. The future is here today!

CanJam offers a full slate of seminars throughout both days. Attending any of these seminars, besides being a great way learn about this wonderful hobby, gives one a chance to take a break from listening and thus helps to avoid listening fatigue. I managed to attend three informative sessions. All were very worthwhile and I learned many things in each one. I am now very balanced when using a convolution filter based on the Harmon Curve while reviewing some headphones. Hints as to which three seminars I attended.

Next up CanJam Singapore. I can't wait!!!

Feb 28, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #633 of 961
This was my first CanJam and I think it totally converted me to head fidelity from being mostly speaker and vinyl guy. Great community and great show.
It was a perfect opportunity to see almost every single YouTube personality.
There's a lot to be said for so-called "two channel" (read: speakers), but there's a real advantage to taking the room/space out of the equation AND getting a whole lot more fidelity for your buck. Welcome to the rabbit hole, it goes DEEP. :wink:

Feb 28, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #634 of 961
Lucky guy lol he got me sadly:
1mAfkVP.jpg

Didn’t even tell me what I did wrong! Musta been something I said haha
It was probably that you were wearing a tank top in NYC in the middle of February. LOCK. HIM. UP. :wink:

Feb 28, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #635 of 961
It was probably that you were wearing a tank top in NYC in the middle of February. LOCK. HIM. UP. :wink:
I was like "I'm working HERE" then BAM he got me, an it wasn't even 10am yet lol

we were still setting up I swear

Feb 28, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #638 of 961
What’s the story behind the black and gold HE1?
When you order an HE-1 from Sennheiser, it's all custom and you can choose the colors you want. I was told I could even get green marble if I wanted to. :)

Short vid of my private listening session a few years ago at Sennheiser:

Feb 28, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #640 of 961
One event that I have now come to look forward to tremendously on an annual basis is CanJam NYC; while other audio/hifi shows have their merits, there is certainly something special about this one...so much so that I'm quite tempted to make the trip to Chicago and SoCal this year to keep the magic going!

Brevity is not my strong suit, but I will try and keep my impressions concise and limited (try, and fail I did lol). I hit probably around 25 or so booths, but here are the more notable experiences:

Audio46 Booth (Yamaha YH-5000SE, A&K CA1000T):

Yamaha YH-5000SE (on RME ADI-2) - Upon arriving Saturday morning around 10am, I snapped a photo or two and then immediately beelined to Audio46, where I knew that the most exciting audition of my weekend awaited, the Yamaha YH-5000SE. As a drummer who has a deep respect for Yamaha's Recording Custom and Absolute Maple lines, as one of my first higher-fidelity experiences was with Yamaha, and as I have a proclivity towards Japanese headphones, the stars were aligning that the YH-5000SE could become a highlight for me. However, expectations were tempered a bit upon my actual listening experience occurring. First, the hightlights; comfort and build quality are everything they are hyped to be, as you're unlikely to find a more lightweight Planar/Ortho nor one that is as finely-crafted and sleek. Secondly, the satisfactory; Yamaha seemingly tuned this to be more of an easy-listening and musical experience than a reference headphone, and the mids have almost a tube-like quality. Lastly, the disappointments; it did not reach my expectations based on the biases I had, expecting a clean, resolution and detail monster and instead getting a more laid-back and easy-listening headphone. I picked up on some distortion in the lower-mids on occasion, bass was fairly understated and the clarity/detail was behind comparable headphones. Day 1 I listened on the suede pads, and Day 2 on the leather; suede pads were more laid-back and smooth, while the leather had a bit more bass and attack. One thing to note; this headphone is very open and isolates no outside noise (many open-backs, i.e. ZMFs, have at least a little isolation), so this headphone really deserves a second listen in a more conducive setting.

20230225_105113.jpg

A&K CA1000T (w/ Meze Elite) - As I am in the market for an all-in-one solution in a small form factor for a tertiary listening set-up in my home, this was another item on my list I needed to hear. The functionality is definitely there; wifi (and Roon ready!), Bluetooth, USB thumb drive, internal storage, every portable-friendly headphone output, enough power to satisfy nearly every headphone on the market, and the introduction of a tube implementation with the Korg Nutubes. Overall, I was satisfied with what I heard; the Elite was easily driven well, and switching to the Nutube had the expected result (almost as if a gentle EQ profile called "tubes" was enabled lol). A likely purchase for me.

Spirit Torino Booth (Valkryia, Pulsar, Centauri):

Centauri - I started this weekend's journey with Spirit by demoing their new (and first) Planar, the Centauri. Very interesting build and design, somewhat industrial, but comfort was acceptable. Sonically, I wasn't feeling the magic with this one, it didn't quite jibe with me; couldn't put my finger on it, but it had a bit of an odd and unnatural quality to me.

Valkyria - This is an impressive beast, right out of the gate; an absolute unit in the hands, just a very robust design. When listening, it is equally impressive; one word to sum up its presenation is DYNAMIC. This headphone is at the top of the summit for dynamics and range, it really thumps. One of the better headphones at the show.

Pulsar - The little brother of the Valkyria holds its own; the tuning and presentation are quite similar to the Valkryia, although it doesn't quite hit the exceptional dynamic range nor the bass impact of the elder statesman, Valkyria. I likely would have been happier with this headphone if I didn't directly compare it to the superior Valkyria.

All Spirit headphones were listened through this gargantuan Spirit-designed headphone amp, which I don't even believe is for sale yet nor has any revealed details.

20230225_120030.jpg

Head-Amp and DCA Room (Grand Cayman Energizer, Blue Hawaii SE Energizer, Stax X9000, DCA Corina):

Stax X9000 - This headphone was the highlight of CanJam NYC 2022 for me, and my excitement to pair it with the new and very-hyped Grand Cayman was sky-high. I listened to X9000 across quite a few systems during this round of CanJamming; the Grand Cayman may have been the best of the bunch, although the differences between it and the BHSE were less material than I anticipated. The GC and BHSE presented similarly; both are more aggressive and commanding backends for the X9000 compared to other energizers, but the GC seemed to have a bit more command over the X9000, bringing out even tighter bottom-end than the BHSE. I can happily live with the BHSE, though.

20230225_122844.jpg

Dan Clark Audio Corina (on Woo ES8?) - I came into CanJam entirely unaware that DCA was releasing a new flagship Estat, so I certainly had to jump on a chance to hear it, and compare it back-to-back with the Stax X9000. I did not find that it compared favorably to the X9000; while the Corina maintained that "ethereal" quality we've come to expect from Estats, it leaned too warm for my tastes and presented just too flat for me, somewhat "one note" and lackadaisical. Build quality and comfort level were impressive, though, like most DCA sets.

20230225_125722.jpg

Audio-Technica Booth (ATH-W2022, ATH-AWKT)

ATH-W2022 (on an A-T amp that I failed to get the name of) - When I heard that fellow head-fier and A-T rep @dleblanc343 was bringing his personal ATH-W2022 to the show, I was determined to hear it. He certainly delivered! Beautiful headphone, the maki-e lacquered cups speak to me as a fan of Japanese craftsmanship. The sound harkened back a bit to some older A-T woodies, showcasing more warmth than the recent A-T stable, bringing quite a bit of bass quantity while maintaining a dynamic sound across the spectrum. Liked what I heard, and it seemed like a pair that could be good for daily enioyment....if one has the bravery to use a pair of $9,000 headphones on a regular basis!

ATH-AWKT - The ADX5000, paired with a good tube amp, is one of my all-time favorites (top 3-5); it just ticks many boxes for me. The search for a closed-back with similar styling and technicalities lead me to wondering whether the AWKT can fulfill that role. I think it does a fairly decent job of getting close; A-T likely tuned the AWKT with the ADX5000 in mind, as the range and response seems quite similar. Where the AWKT doesn't quite live up to the ADX5000 is bass quality, overall dynamic impact, soundstage and the finest of detail retrieval, but I will confess that I tend to typically favor open-backs over close-backs.

20230225_150238.jpg

ZMF Room (Atrium Open, Atrium Closed, Caldera):

Atrium Open vs. Atrium Closed (on both a L0rdGwyn Airmid tube amp and Decware OTL tube amp) - First to note....the Airmid is an impressive monster! I haven't heard many tube amps with the same level of driver-command as the Airmid, so kudos to our fellow head-fier @L0rdGwyn for this. So, about my statement on the A-T AWKT about my bias towards open headphones instead of closed-backs....the Atrium series appears to be the exception. The AO reminded me of a natural progression of the Auteur (a headphone I am fond of), similar more-neutral tuning and fairly-intimate presentation, but with improved bass quality and quantity and smoother treble. While I enjoyed the AO, it didn't have anything particularly "wow'ing" about it...and that's where the AC comes in. This bass will have you thinking "Wow!" The King of Bass, to me, is the Abyss 1266 TC; the AC certainly joins the conversation, although a very different style of bass. The AC has tons of quantity, just completely booming, with good extension. It's not especially tight or fast, but it's a ton of fun and the rest of the headphone is well-balanced enough where the total package is highly enjoyable. The AC was the one headphone I was very close to pulling the trigger on and leaving CanJam with, but exhaustion set in Sunday afternoon and I decided that just heading home was easier LOL.

20230226_103413.jpg

Caldera (on a Wells Milo solid state amp) - Beautiful, like all of ZMF's offerings. The coffee gold varnish and rods really resonated with me, towards the top of gorgeous designs from a brand that is known for many of them. The auditory quality of the Caldera matched its assthetics, to my ears; very happy with what I heard here. Call me crazy, but this seems like a real competitor to the Susvara, in many ways; the one thing I always respected about the Susvara is it's tonality, and thats where the Caldera shines and is actually quite similar to. Caldera just has a natural tonality to it that other Planars (excepting the Susvara) just tend to not have; you can get lost in the music here. While Caldera isn't the last word on detail, bass impact or soundstage, the spectacular tonal qualities make up for that...and it's certainly no slouch in those categories either. A very well-balanced offering.

Bonus Statements:

I also demoed the Stax X9000 on the Viva Egoista STX at High End by Oz booth (and had a great conversation with the owner, Oz, who revealed some very exciting plans for his booth at CanJam SoCal); Egoista was an impressive piece of kit, as you could imagine, oozing of Italian sleekness and robust design. Sonically, it added the most warmth to the X9000 out of any energizers I tested it with, truly a quintessential "tube-like" presentation. Eksonic was a 2022 highlight for me, and their booth this year continued to deliver; the Aeras created some magic with the 007mk1, and I noticed elements, particularly in the bass guitar, on tracks I was highly familiar with for the first time ever, which was truly stunning. Lastly, the friendliness and knowledge with many of the vendors was outstanding; particular highlights on the conversation-front were Audio46, ZMF, High End by Oz and Audio-Technica, and especially the gentlemen at dCS, who demonstrated such thorough and impressive technical knowledge of their products and their segment of the industry. Truly impressive stuff.

20230226_123302.jpg

Feb 28, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #642 of 961
I came into CanJam entirely unaware that DCA was releasing a new flagship Estat, so I certainly had to jump on a chance to hear it, and compare it back-to-back with the Stax X9000. I did not find that it compared favorably to the X9000
I believe it was Jack Wu who told me the Corina isn't a good pairing with the ES8 and that I should try a Stax on it (I think it was the 300 but might be confusing model names. Definitely not the X9K that was with the 3ES next to it which I really liked).

Thanks for the writeup!

Feb 28, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #643 of 961
Spirit Torino Booth (Valkryia, Pulsar, Centauri):

Centauri - I started this weekend's journey with Spirit by demoing their new (and first) Planar, the Centauri. Very interesting build and design, somewhat industrial, but comfort was acceptable. Sonically, I wasn't feeling the magic with this one, it didn't quite jibe with me; couldn't put my finger on it, but it had a bit of an odd and unnatural quality to me.

Valkyria - This is an impressive beast, right out of the gate; an absolute unit in the hands, just a very robust design. When listening, it is equally impressive; one word to sum up its presenation is DYNAMIC. This headphone is at the top of the summit for dynamics and range, it really thumps. One of the better headphones at the show.

Pulsar - The little brother of the Valkyria holds its own; the tuning and presentation are quite similar to the Valkryia, although it doesn't quite hit the exceptional dynamic range nor the bass impact of the elder statesman, Valkyria. I likely would have been happier with this headphone if I didn't directly compare it to the superior Valkyria.

All Spirit headphones were listened through this gargantuan Spirit-designed headphone amp, which I don't even believe is for sale yet nor has any revealed details.

Ahh crap! There's the Audio-GD I couldn't find! I noticed the Torino amp but not the Audio-GD hiding in the back.

Anyone know what model that is? Looks like r2r-11mk2 in DAC mode. Anyone know what amp it was connected to?

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #644 of 961
  • Meze Elite [Woo room with WA23, Main floor with HM1 and Viva 845] - Scroll down to see what award this has won. It's the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried. Truly remarkable how it disappears on my head. I wish it were more technical. I can see how for many it's truly end game. I could listen to it for hours it's so fun and lush and just right. I noticed what I'm missing the second I switched to my D8KPLE on the same chain with the WA23 and was suddenly a bit sad. I was sad my Final wasn't as comfortable and I was sad the Meze isn't a little more technical and with a bit more grunt. It's a matter of preference, I'd love to own one if I had the spare cash, most comfortable ever, we will meet again one day.
Woo Audio WA23 - Oh wow did I fall in love with this one. Just the right amount of tubiness and I kept coming back to it. Granted it was paired with a Mola Mola Tambaqui and I tried it first with the Meze Elite (warm and lush complete sound to die for) and afterwards with the D8KPLE (step up in technicalities, still amazing tonality). I left truly impressed and this competes for best of show for me. tbh I'm not a huge fan of how it looks but the size of it compared to what I'm used to with the WA33 really stunned me. It's definitely a piece of art/decor and not only an amp. 100% will meet again, it's making me rethink some of my gear plans

General thoughts on gear - it's very hard to judge any of it with the noise conditions, especially on the main floor. I was happy to see more higher end DACs compared to what I heard previous canjams had. It's probably impossible to compare DACs here. I'd love to see some more high end servers/streamers around. Maybe next year. As for next steps - I have some thinking to do. WA23 left an amazing impression on me. HM1 sounded amazing. Do I really want to chase estats this year? Is my money better used by changing my LTA Z10E to a WA23 considering the savings of not buying a X9000 and selling the LTA? First world problems!

Awards:
  • Most surprising - Meze Elite (for comfort and build quality)
  • Most disappointing - Yamaha YH-5000SE (hot take mid-fi)
  • Best Headphones - Stax X9000 (but is it worth it?)
  • Best Amp - Zahl HM1 (Don’t you love it when a plan comes together)
  • Best in Show - Wa23 / Mola Mola chain (synergy at its finest)
Wow, that's quite the endorsement! I usually travel light, so it was a bit of a nuisance to bring the Mola Mola Tambaqui down to pair with the WA23 Luna amplifier, but if one person can gave this award it was worth it. I even brought the Grimm MU1 server to pair with the Tambaqui, but it wasn't meant to be. The MU1 really (hackneyed statement incoming) "takes the Tambaqui to another level". I've not heard a more 3-dimensional, detailed and engaging source as that pairing as yet. Unfortunately, the internet connection was just too bad so we bailed on the set up and used the Tambaqui via USB. This is a system I know very well, and I too tried the Meze Elite on it. It was great, but I think I need the Elites to have a bit more clarity and resolution.

The stock tubes in the Luna are excellent with great bass, imaging and tonality. At home, I use the Takatsuki 2a3 and 274b tubes. They add refinement, detail and dimensionality to an already engaging amp. In my view, it is one of the most musically engaging amps around and with upgraded tubes it has a level of performance that is arguably on par with the likes of say the Riviera AIC10 and the Zahl HM1.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #645 of 961
Audio-Technica Booth (ATH-W2022, ATH-AWKT)

ATH-W2022 (on an A-T amp that I failed to get the name of) - When I heard that fellow head-fier and A-T rep @dleblanc343 was bringing his personal ATH-W2022 to the show, I was determined to hear it. He certainly delivered! Beautiful headphone, the maki-e lacquered cups speak to me as a fan of Japanese craftsmanship. The sound harkened back a bit to some older A-T woodies, showcasing more warmth than the recent A-T stable, bringing quite a bit of bass quantity while maintaining a dynamic sound across the spectrum. Liked what I heard, and it seemed like a pair that could be good for daily enioyment....if one has the bravery to use a pair of $9,000 headphones on a regular basis!
I didn't realize someone would bring their personal $9k headphones and let some strangers like me abuse them. Hats off to @dleblanc343, great guy. I got his business card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back