CanJam NYC 2023 Impressions Thread (February 25-26, 2023)
Feb 27, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #421 of 961
Color me paranoid, {and also my highly bias opinion and goal was for the Atrium Closed was for it to have a big diffuse stage} - but were you switching the impedance between low and high in the Ha300 between the two headphones?

The high impedance on the 300b is much better than an OTL into the Caldera, but it would be nice and warm. 😎😂
Is there any chance that the sound of AC will be fixed before release (like big diffuse stage?)?

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #422 of 961
Color me paranoid, {and also my highly bias opinion and goal was for the Atrium Closed was for it to have a big diffuse stage} - but were you switching the impedance between low and high in the Ha300 between the two headphones?

The high impedance on the 300b is much better than an OTL into the Caldera, but it would be nice and warm. 😎😂
Just a thought for next time Zach but maybe have some recommendations printed out next to the amps on better pairings and settings.
I appreciated the paper with the pads/headphones/brightness that was on one of the tables I sat next to.

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #423 of 961
Is there any chance that the sound of AC will be fixed before release (like big diffuse stage?)?
I have an AC on my head at the moment, and I think the term "big, diffused stage" accurately describes the AC's presentation...that and holy sub-bass, Batman!

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #424 of 961
I have an AC on my head at the moment, and I think the term "big, diffused stage" accurately describes the AC's presentation...that and holy sub-bass, Batman!
Awesome! I don't know how I can wait until mid-April XD

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #425 of 961
I hope in future we have more DAC manufacturer joining the show.
In CanJam I felt DAC took a backseat and many even decided to keep it under the table.
I tried Susvara with Ferrum Oor and it was just off sounding and then I saw dragonfly Cobalt being used as DAC and I tried Susvara with Feliks amp with Aurender A20 before it so was difficult to say how Oor would have compared to Feliks amp as DAC were different and were miles apart in price point.
I would have loved to try Rockna, Weiss, MSB etc. Not sure if those were there.

Being in NYC, the best way to try those DACs out is probably to make a few purchases with one of the two-channel dealers, and they'll be able to get you an evaluation unit for a week or two. That's how I listened to most of the summit-fi DACs I've heard.

For MSB in particular, though, email Vince Galbo and see what he can do.

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #426 of 961
Did anyone who was present at the Headphone Q&A seminar presentation at the end of the day catch the name of the dongle device the gentleman near the front on the right held up when Jude was talking?

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #427 of 961

I'm familiar with how badly OTL can distort (Utopia becomes a bass-boosted monster on my OTL) but I hadn't realized that would be an issue with the SET Cayin. Sounds like that may be the case! I went back and looked at the picture I took of the AO and it seems I had it set to medium impedance, but it's hard to say for sure since I had the photo focused on that absolutely gorgeous wood grain.

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #429 of 961
Feb 27, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #430 of 961
I hope in future we have more DAC manufacturer joining the show.
In CanJam I felt DAC took a backseat and many even decided to keep it under the table.
I tried Susvara with Ferrum Oor and it was just off sounding and then I saw dragonfly Cobalt being used as DAC and I tried Susvara with Feliks amp with Aurender A20 before it so was difficult to say how Oor would have compared to Feliks amp as DAC were different and were miles apart in price point.
I would have loved to try Rockna, Weiss, MSB etc. Not sure if those were there.
Weiss was there, paired with the Zahl. Perhaps part of the reason people seem to have had such good impressions of the Zahl, it had a $10k DAC502 behind it! Not to say the Zahl isn't great, just it certainly helps having that DAC whereas other amps were setup on dongles.

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #431 of 961
Weiss was there, paired with the Zahl. Perhaps part of the reason people seem to have had such good impressions of the Zahl, it had a $10k DAC502 behind it! Not to say the Zahl isn't great, just it certainly helps having that DAC whereas other amps were setup on dongles.
that's what I pointed out earlier. Some amps were gimped with dongle DACs and at many tables the DACs were not visible

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #432 of 961
Not sure the Weiss was a great pairing with the Zahl tbh but it definitely helps to have good sources.
Viva booth had some Uber high end stuff. Woo room had a Mola Mola. DCS Lina was super common that was quite surprising. T+A had their high end DAC. Audeze had a Nagra and Holo May available.

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #433 of 961
Not sure the Weiss was a great pairing with the Zahl tbh but it definitely helps to have good sources.
Viva booth had some Uber high end stuff. Woo room had a Mola Mola. DCS Lina was super common that was quite surprising. T+A had their high end DAC. Audeze had a Nagra and Holo May available.

I thought the Nagra was terribly mis-used as they were driving some real tough cans on the Tube DAC's headphone out. The stack wasn't connected to a real amp, and the Tube DAC's headphone out is a filtered output from the preamp which is a tube stage running on 12v 1a. My DAP has more output power than that jack.

Weiss has the better headphone out by a mile, if we're not talking about literal IEMs. I'd have swapped around the DACs and just had the 502 as a standalone show unit.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #434 of 961
Anyone know what this amp was? Back right corner of the ZMF room made me rethink my opinion on tubes...

Attachments

• 20230226_170840.jpg
    20230226_170840.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back