CanJam NYC 2020 Impressions Thread (February 15-16, 2020)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #256 of 400
WhatsApp won’t work without a phone number , and I doubt the R8 will have a microphone or a speaker :wink:

i'd assume any app/service that runs on your pc would work

Feb 18, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #257 of 400
Here are some photos from Day Two.

I spent several hours today listening to a lot of kit. My takeaways:

- I agree with the previous poster that the Woo Audio + HiFiMan Susvara sounded incredible. $30K of kit. Whew.

- I wanted to decide on a pair of closed-back cans for using my DAP on the train. After much trial today, I think I'll be going with the Audeze LCD-2CBs. I really, really wanted to like the Focal Stellias but they dropped out the drum kit much too much. Drums are the first thing I focus on, so that sets the bar for me.

- Caiyn N8 DAP in tube mode sounded rich and full. Really, really nice. Software was very buggy. Loading music in from my SD card took forever.

- JDS Labs had a nice piece of kit with a beautifully tactile volume wheel. Great form factor for the desktop.

- I didn't get a chance to step into the Abyss. Maybe next time.

The WA33 at the show is the Standard Edition, $7999 retail and the Susvara is $6000 retail. The DAC is our WA11 topaz $1399 retail.

Feb 18, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #258 of 400
my favorite can at the show is Warwick acoustic which is insanely costly but sounds close to Sennheiser HE1, the world’s best headphone. I also like the speed and mids of ribbon driver headphone whose bass and wearing convenience are weak though.

They had Warwick Audio Aperio Electrostat at the Canjam? How come nobody else is mentioning it? At less than half the cost of Sennheiser HE-1, it's somewhat of a bargain, I suppose.
If I'm spending that kind of money, the thing I worry about both Sennheiser HE-1 and Warwick Acoustic is the fact both systems are very fixed proprietary systems with included DAC internally, which are the older Sabre DAC's in both. The Original Orpheus system also had internal DAC which became obsolete extremely fast. I hope both companies have made the internal DAC modular for future upgrades, but I don't see mention of future upgradability from either company :scream:

warwickAperio by drjlo2, on Flickr

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #259 of 400
It depends upon the rest of your gear and what your usage will be. If you plan on using a DAP or phone then I would go with Stellia.
If you have a nice home setup,amp+DAC,then I would go with the ZMF.

Both are excellent headphones,but with my system the VC handily bested the Stellia.
I think it's really genre-dependent too.. I tried the same range of recordings with both, classical and opera, and really found the Stellia more accurate, and seemed to me, faster and more controlled. I can see why the ZMF would be a great choice too.

Feb 18, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #260 of 400
Any comparison to the u18?

from my CanJam NYC impressions, A18s (universal demo version) vs U18t, with the same cable, the same eartips, and the same source. As I mentioned in 64audio thread, I hear A18s having a little boosted bass (relative to U18t) and mids/vocals have a slightly fuller body. One thing to consider, A18s had M20 module which has more isolation (and usually results in slightly more bass), while U18t had M15 (15dB isolation vs M20 w/20dB). But even with that difference in mind, I still hear A18s with more bass.

1582043860459.png

Feb 18, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #261 of 400
It depends upon the rest of your gear and what your usage will be. If you plan on using a DAP or phone then I would go with Stellia.
If you have a nice home setup,amp+DAC,then I would go with the ZMF.

Both are excellent headphones,but with my system the VC handily bested the Stellia.
I think it's really genre-dependent too.. I tried the same range of recordings with both, classical and opera, and really found the Stellia more accurate, and seemed to me, faster and more controlled. I can see why the ZMF would be a great choice too.

I believe the Stellia is around 32 ohms and our headphones 300 - so source will definitely change the character and timbre on our headphones more. I also realize we had V Closed with 3 different sets of pads that alter the frequency response in our room. If anyone has any questions on what "version" of the V Closed they listened to I can definitely help out!

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 18, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #262 of 400
from my CanJam NYC impressions, A18s (universal demo version) vs U18t, with the same cable, the same eartips, and the same source. As I mentioned in 64audio thread, I hear A18s having a little boosted bass (relative to U18t) and mids/vocals have a slightly fuller body. One thing to consider, A18s had M20 module which has more isolation (and usually results in slightly more bass), while U18t had M15 (15dB isolation vs M20 w/20dB). But even with that difference in mind, I still hear A18s with more bass.

1582043860459.png
Why didn’t you used the same module for both ? :D

Feb 18, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #263 of 400
Why didn’t you used the same module for both ? :D

I was in a rush and didn't feel like breaking my nails :p I usually use one of those chip-extractor tweezers to take apex modules out.

Feb 18, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #264 of 400

What about detail, resolution and imaging?

Feb 18, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #266 of 400
At LAX right now, waiting to board a flight back to Asia --- just wanted to thank everyone for a great meet --- especially wanted to thank the guys at @DekoniAudio and @iFi audio for graciously providing tips and equipment, respectively --- you guys were amazing! Additionally, we were a bit shorthanded at the meet, so @Audio46 was phenomenal help in helping us find people at the last minute.

We didn't have the spare personnel to allow us to take turns browsing the floor much, so we didn't get to hear much at all --- sad to have missed the HEDD and Vérité. But the Solaris SE sounded great (as expected) --- tiny resonance tweaks in the ceramic body render a cleaner trailing note. The A8000 exudes elegance, inside and out. Glad to have bumped into the @Final Audio folk while at Audio46 too!

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Feb 18, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #267 of 400
At LAX right now, waiting to board a flight back to Asia --- just wanted to thank everyone for a great meet --- especially wanted to thank the guys at @DekoniAudio and @iFi audio for graciously providing tips and equipment, respectively --- you guys were amazing! Additionally, we were a bit shorthanded at the meet, so @Audio46 was phenomenal help in helping us find people at the last minute.

We didn't have the spare personnel to allow us to take turns browsing the floor much, so we didn't get to hear much at all --- sad to have missed the HEDD and Vérité. But the Solaris SE sounded great (as expected) --- tiny resonance tweaks in the ceramic body render a cleaner trailing note. The A8000 exudes elegance, inside and out. Glad to have bumped into the @Final Audio folk while at Audio46 too!
I LOVE Luna !!!!! Definitely the biggest black horse and surprise this year at Canjam.

Feb 18, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #268 of 400
I believe the Stellia is around 32 ohms and our headphones 300 - so source will definitely change the character and timbre on our headphones more. I also realize we had V Closed with 3 different sets of pads that alter the frequency response in our room. If anyone has any questions on what "version" of the V Closed they listened to I can definitely help out!

That purple set was excellent!

Feb 18, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #269 of 400

1582043860459.png
How's a18s comparing to a12t? Which has better bass based on your memory? It'd be much appreciated if you could provide some information on that. Thanks

Feb 18, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #270 of 400
As Zach mentioned the various pads can seriously change the way the VC(and most all ZMF headphones) sound.

I should also mention that when doing an a/b vs. Stellia the VC sounds much more organic and natural,while the Stellia has a distinct metallic flavor to the sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back