CanJam NYC 2020 (February 15-16, 2020)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 11, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #496 of 596
Good timing with the Valentine's Day weekend. "Here, darling, I bought you a $3000 pair of earphones. I'll just look after them for you..."

Get customs to match the shoes and handbag... :ksc75smile:

Actually I´m having a blast only with se535, hearing instruments that I´ve never have heard with my old earbuds. It´s like someone with vision in B&W suddenly seeing colors.
Yes, but I found the 535 to be qualitatively the same as the 425, it just had a 'bigger' sound, which I don't believe served it well, at least in the gear I had at the time... Maybe a better cable or source would have took the 535 to a new level over 425?

I started with Shures as well back in 2009 or so, the SE535. Loved them for the size and comfort while traveling, great sound isolation on planes.

@third_eye - did you post the show specials? How about Jude's preview video?
I could not see either, but might have missed it...

I guess they're still trying to find some Twizzlers to put in the background of the video, hence the delay :laughing:

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #497 of 596
Curious to what tracks other folks will use to test gear this weekend. I know there will be a lot of variety due to personal preferences and tastes.

This weekend some of my favorite tracks I’ll be listening to include:

Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight (Live) from Face Value (Deluxe). The opening part of the track (first 1:35) with the audience gives a sense of space and direction, and then the drums. What more needs to be said about the famous drum sequence at 5:54, and the live version has several more terrific drum sequences from 6:16 on, almost every 10-12 seconds or so. Who doesn't do the "air drums" when listening :smile:

Hans Zimmer - Why So Serious from The Dark Knight soundtrack. Strong bass throughout the track, but it really kicks in at ~3:25.

Red Rider - Lunatic Fringe from As Far As Siam. At the 23 second mark there’s a very quiet phrase “See you on the other side” and I find that useful to measure separation.

Manu Katché - Unstatic from Unstatic. Terrific drums.

Fascinating Rhythm - Dave Grusin from The Gershwin Connection. Another track with great drums.

John Williams - Duel of the Fates from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. Some choir type vocals, drums and bass. I love soundtracks so this is a good test.

Martin O’Donnell and Michael Salvatore - Overture from Halo 3 Soundtrack. The opening 30 seconds with the rain will really help with determining soundstage.

Max Richter - Europe, After the Rain from Memoryhouse. Another track with an opening sequence of rain, and rain to close the track for the last 40 seconds or so.

Candy Dulfer - Lily Was Here from Candy Dulfer Live in Amsterdam. Great saxophone. At the 6-7 second mark something is dropped or the mike stand moves, and the someone in the audience coughs at the right, rear. Great for determining sense of direction I the soundstage.

For reference all the tracks/albums above are on the US version of Tidal except for Candy Dulfer Live in Amsterdam.

Looking forward to finding out what you’ll be listening to.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #498 of 596
Guys, here's the list of Show Specials! We'll also be providing a handout of these at the Registration Desk.

SHOW SPECIALS.jpg
64 Audio20% off all Universal-fit earphones and their custom counterparts; 64 Audio is giving away a universal-fit or custom in-ear monitor of the winner's choice. Visit our booth to enter. Winner will be announced around 3pm the final day of the show. Must be present to win.
Andover AudioFree Omega headphone stand for the first 10 puchases of PM-50 headphone during the show
Audio46Audio46 will have multiple Show Specials on Final Audio, Audio-Technica, iFi Audio, Klipsch, Strauss & Wagner, SIVGA, DALI, Sennheiser, and Ultrasone. Visit booth for more details.
Audiowise10% off any OPTO-DX order. Use coupon code CANJAM10 when placing order.
Benchmark Media10% off during show; Visit booth for change to win a DAC3 B ($1699)
CorsonusVisit booth for a drawing for 3 winners to receive a 20% discount
Dekoni AudioVisit booth a giveaway of Dekoni Audio wipes
DUNUVisit booth for a series of Show Specials!
EarstudioVisit booth for a chance to win the HUD100 (1 prize), ES100MK2 (5 prizes), and HE100 (5 prizes).
Eletech10% off during show
Empire Ears15% off CIEMs and 20% off UIEMs
EtymoticER2 SE and ER2 XR - $120
ER3SE and ER3XR Earphones - $150
ER4SR and ER4XR Earphones - $250
Visit booth for additonal discounts on univeral and custom earplugs
HeadAmp$300 off GS-X mk2, and $600 off GS-X mk2 when purchased with a new headphone over $1499
iFi AudioVisit booth for a chance to win the new portable DAC/AMP. Live drawing will be held each day one hour before show close.
Jerry Harvey Audio20% off CIEMs, plus free ear impressions when ordering at the show
Metal Magic Research10% off during show
Musicteck15% off selected products (shop.musicteck.com/2020canjam), coupon code: 2020CANJAMNYC
Noble Audio20% off Universal IEMs
Schiit AudioVisit booth for a chance to win a Magni 3+ or Magni Heresy
Soundcore$129 Liberty 2 Pro ($149 MSRP)
SpinFit30% off Amazon coupon code for SpinFit Ear Tips; Visit booth for SpinFit Giveaways
Violectric/Lake PeopleVisit booth for available Violectric show discounts
Woo Audio10% off during show
ZMFheadphonesVisit booth for available ZMF show discounts
Can kids from 11-14 attend canjam?

Feb 11, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #502 of 596
Grading on a curve. :smirk:
We all love you buddy!!
1581483373649.png

Feb 12, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #503 of 596
Even though I am not coming I still look at flight prices multiple time s a day. The plane still has many unsold seats, yet the prices are at some of their highest points. Only 2 seats left in first class and they are asking over $1800 right now. At its lowest it was $799. It always amazes me how often the prices fluctuate.

Feb 12, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #504 of 596
Even though I am not coming I still look at flight prices multiple time s a day. The plane still has many unsold seats, yet the prices are at some of their highest points. Only 2 seats left in first class and they are asking over $1800 right now. At its lowest it was $799. It always amazes me how often the prices fluctuate.

JOIN US.

Feb 12, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #507 of 596
C'mon, dude. While this is a bummer that you're missing this one, you have to make it out to a CanJam this year. We can't grab a bite if you don't show up to an event.

I have gone to shows where I wasn't working for Noble, I was bored to death. I come to help people and steer them in the direction of what they might want to buy, that's the fun for me, as weird as it sounds. I don't come to listen to gear as a potential buyer, I have gear I am perfectly content with, I have never been a grail hunter when it comes to sound stuff. Seeing friends and hanging out is great of course, while that is a possibility in Socal, coming over after the show to see people, or even volunteering for the CJ team is possible. I don't want to say something that might not happen. I have given 6 years of my time for free, I just think that time is done, I am worth something, just like anyone else who works for others in this business/hobby.

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #508 of 596
Thank you for this. I’m a n00b trying to learn everything I can. Bought ZX507 and se846 for the starters.

:relaxed: The SE846 is very, very good! :smile:

Curious to what tracks other folks will use to test gear this weekend. I know there will be a lot of variety due to personal preferences and tastes.

Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight (Live) from Face Value (Deluxe). The opening part of the track (first 1:35) with the audience gives a sense of space and direction, and then the drums. What more needs to be said about the famous drum sequence at 5:54, and the live version has several more terrific drum sequences from 6:16 on, almost every 10-12 seconds or so. Who doesn't do the "air drums" when listening :smile:

Manu Katché - Unstatic from Unstatic. Terrific drums.

@NovaFlyer, might I suggest adding Tears For Fears's Woman In Chains to your test track list? It's fantastically recorded and mastered. But also, both Manu Katché and Phil Collins played percussion on it. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back