CanJam NYC 2019 Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #46 of 474
lol our man Pete on the beat. Freshest hifi news around!
Did not try them. People kept hogging them. And once someone moved, Joe sat someone down in front of me. I was pissed and left. I think I listened to to many headphones.

Feb 16, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #47 of 474
Did not try them. People kept hogging them. And once someone moved, Joe sat someone down in front of me. I was pissed and left. I think I listened to to many headphones.

Would be nice of the companies had more than just one to listen to.

Feb 16, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #49 of 474
Almost half deaf after listening for 4-5 hrs. Many times we were sharing the source and while you are listening to some very quiet song at high volume and someone would come and put very very nasty song all of a sudden.
Have to avoid headphone for few days to recover.

Feb 16, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #50 of 474
The Susvara with the Mytek brooklyn dac and Headamp Gsx mini sounded incredible!!!!. Someone put on a bin aural "however it's spelled" and i am floored. New favorite setup. And I can afford it all.

I believe that was me. Nice listening with you. I went over to listen at Hifiman after we talked. I was pretty blown away by the sound from that setup too. I was less blown away by my experience at the Hifiman booth. I understand they were busy but overall I was pretty underwhelmed by my experience at their table and it was not the headphones. I had a great listening experience at Audeze, Redscape, Mr Speakers, Rupert Neve, Cayin and many others. Hope everyone going has a great time.

Feb 16, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #51 of 474
So far my favorite setup is the Voce + blue hwii with the Chord TT2 w the Mscaler. Amazing! 2nd Susvara w Auris Nirvana 3rd Obravo signature headphone.

were you able to try stax 009 on that same setup. i'd like to hear someones thoughts on that setup while swapping between Voce, 009, and 009S

Feb 16, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #52 of 474
Apart from usual suspect, I was impressed by Meze Empyrean. Very detailed and yet very relaxing. Compared to Audeze 4z they are more detailed I feel but yet the treble is never an issue. Really impressive. Heard them with Dave as well as with schiit amp. It has grt performance with mid- fi amp as well and I can confidently say it is not amp picky.
Also liked the pairing of Fiio M9 with ZMF headphone. There are so many ZMF so I can't remember the model. Any one looking for DAP below $500, this is the one to get. It has 2.5mm balanced output as well.
When I tried IEM katana, I realized that 800s and Z1R have spoiled me for life and I can never really like IEM. Didint try any other IEM after that.
Heard WOO Audio's new solid state amp with Z1R using kimber cable in balanced. Dont find anything extra ordinary there. I can get same performance out of my Z1R from Mojo. However Canjam is not right place to write anything off. Will give it a second chance. But still I feel anyone looking for portable amp from Woo should still go for WA8. This new one doesn't come close to it.
HIFIMAN and MR Speakers were impressive.
I also enjoyed blue Hawaii witH VOCE. Apart from great sound the thing that impressed me in this setup was the end point used by ROON.The sound was crystal clear and guess what was feeding the DAC, those Raspberry Pi player ALLO digital. I guess they were using Digione signature.
While going back home I feel I have a decent setup at home with Liquid Platinum with NOS tubes powering my 800s and 600 with Dekoni pads. Z1R is there for me when I feel to just enjoy thr music. Only investement that I'm gonna make after going back is on those Raspberry Pi players and ROON.
Anyone who is using Audirvana will fall in love with roon.
Also enjoyed STAX. I heard the mid priced one but really liked the vocals but it lacked some bass. May be bass was same as those in 600. But had them on for like 5 mins in a very noisy place.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #53 of 474
On my way back from a 1.5hr visit to CanJam NYC.

Obviously too brief a visit but from what I sampled, standouts were Leonidas II (only cable I tried with my CIEM Phantom and DX200/Amp 8), and Cayin N8 (my Phantom and Crystal Cable... cable, using the 3.5mm Korg NuTube output). I hate that I liked them as much as I did - both gave a more spacious, analogue, gooey realism and better imaging, with the N8 doing so to a greater degree than the Leonidas II, but at a cost of $3k. I usually pair with the Ares II 8 Wire.

Quickly demoed the new Sony Flagship IEM (IERzZ12qqrryy6543e or whatever its called, the shiny metal one) and the Campfire Solaris again. Didn't tip roll and definitely didn't get a good seal so won't comment there.

On the headphone side I tried the ZMF Verite, ZMF Atticus, Audeze LCD-4Z, Focal Stellia, Abyss Diana Phi, and Meze Empyrean. I've learned for the 2nd time that it sucks auditioning open backs at shows so wasn't impressed by any of them except the 4z and to the greatest degree the Empyrean, since Cayin and Meze shared a booth at one of the more private, quieter rooms.

Was smitten with the Empyrean - signature is as natural as I've heard with zero fatigue, perfect comfort and flawless design and build quality.

Of the Stellia I used the source and amp at the show (can't recall what it was) but I liked what I heard until the 2nd track, where I started getting immediate fatigue. Played tracks I was familiar with through Tidal on their iPad.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #54 of 474
Also heard Focal Stellia but any one planning to get these should first audition Meze's offering at similar price

Feb 16, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #55 of 474
So spent the day at Canjam, some surprises and disappointments. Best IEM? Empire Ears, Legend X. Best over ear headphone? HiFiman, any model!
And I won the giveaway at the Beyerdynamic booth: free pair of Aventho wireless headphones, and they sound amazing!

Congrats on winning the Aventho.

Agree, the Legend X is awesome, as well as the EE Phantom. I will also add the the Campfire Audio Solaris is outstanding. For my taste those three and the Noble Khan are the top IEMs I demo'd today. Tomorrow I want to try the Jomo Trinity and qdc Anole VDX - thanks to @jude for highlighting those two in the preview video

Feb 16, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #56 of 474
Cayin and Meze are sharing the Uris private room, we have some seriously good setup here waiting for you to explore, drop by and check the Meze Empyrean planar headphon and Rai Penta IEM, Cayin HA-300 Tube headphone, N8 DAP and our brand new iDAC-6MK2 tube buffered DAC/pre-amp. See you there.

more info on the idac mk2 please?

Feb 16, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #58 of 474
Congrats on winning the Aventho.

Agree, the Legend X is awesome, as well as the EE Phantom. I will also add the the Campfire Audio Solaris is outstanding. For my taste those three and the Noble Khan are the top IEMs I demo'd today. Tomorrow I want to try the Jomo Trinity and qdc Anole VDX - thanks to @jude for highlighting those two in the preview video
The Trinity was the big disappointment, let me know what you think of them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back