CanJam London 2023 (August 19-20, 2023)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #301 of 432
This year I am looking for listening rigs for Return To the Office, i.e. closed-back headphones and a low-footprint streamer-DAC-amp that supports Roon ARC, not just the more common local network Roon support.
A great small footprint for the Office is the Fiio R7 'all in one' solution.

Aug 12, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #302 of 432
...then better check the Dan Clark Stealth.

Frankly I came to the conclusion that the best solution for non-home listening is via the new technology wireless HPs. I recently got the Sony wh-1000xm5 and after an EQ tweak it sounds excellent and is also perfect for office use due to its features.
+1 I also came to the same conclusion

Aug 12, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #303 of 432
Frankly I came to the conclusion that the best solution for non-home listening is via the new technology wireless HPs. I recently got the Sony wh-1000xm5 and after an EQ tweak it sounds excellent and is also perfect for office use due to its features.

Same conclusion here ... with a side-note ... Ever since I got myself a pair of T+A Solitaire T, my life on the road has been bliss, wirelessly bliss but also wired bliss ... With the SolT, an RS6 and a proper cable, I feel that I have what I need for every mobile scenario ... :fire:

Aug 12, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #304 of 432
I tried the Stealth but I already had the LCD-5's at that time... Stealth, although very good didn't have the clarity I was looking for. I also have the Sony WH-1000XM5 's which I use outdoors. But have you heard the Focal Bathy's? They are extremely good and I was quite taken aback when I heard them.
Focals for me are out, as they use real leather and I do my best to stay as vegan as possible. Besides, XM5 can sustain two BT connections in parallel, which is great fow two computers or one computer and a mobile phone configurations.

Stealth has a reference Harman tuning, meaning subbass precede midbass (has less impact feeling), and high treble is not as prominent as most other TOTL HPs. I like its tuning very much, but it might be a controversial tuning if you like impact and weight with lots of air (OK, I add a bit of EQ air sometimes). Expanse changes that but it is not closed.
Same conclusion here ... with a side-note ... Ever since I got myself a pair of T+A Solitaire T, my life on the road has been bliss, wirelessly bliss but also wired bliss ... With the SolT, an RS6 and a proper cable, I feel that I have what I need for every mobile scenario ... :fire:
I still didn't have the chance to try them. Thanks for reminding.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #305 of 432
Focals for me are out, as they use real leather and I do my best to stay as vegan as possible.
Off-topics, but a lot of Head-Fi frustrates me with this. Although the Focal Clear MG are good non-leather.

My Chord Mojo 2 Poly still hasn’t got a non-leather case, but luckily you can 3D print stuff like that.

Aug 12, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #306 of 432
Looking forward to seeing new and old faces in London:)I'll be there for both days. Am toying with the idea of seeing Metallica live at the Cinema on Fri night
Screenshot_20230813_095941_Chrome.jpg
if there's anyone interested in that. I shall just go with the flow and mingle and listen to a few bits when I'm not chatting or at the seminars or volunteering. The HE1s are nice, but I prefer the HiFiMan Shangri-La Snr. The Orpheus was a great great headphone system, I'm not necessarily convinced either system beats that one. If you get a chance to try the 2 (stranger things have happened) let us all know your opinion

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230813_095941_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230813_095941_Chrome.jpg
    728.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #307 of 432
...then better check the Dan Clark Stealth.
That's a bit too pricey for my office rig, unfortunately. I used to keep an HD650 at my old office with a Musical Fidelity X-CAN V2 and X-PSU V2 but there was a break-in and the thief made out with that gear, along with my HP-15C LE calculator. While I applaud his excellent taste, that did leave a bad taste in my mouth and the company insurance didn't cover my loss.

I'm looking for an upgrade from my AKG K-550 (that I don't even know where I put any more). I have AirPods Max that I frankly dislike because they always discharge and/or require a full reset to pair again because that hack Jony Ive thought a power switch would be ugly.

Possibly, but non-IEMs don't fit my ear shape or stay put. At the moment I've been using my Etymotic ER-4SR.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #308 of 432
A great small footprint for the Office is the Fiio R7 'all in one' solution.
Yes, I am definitely going to look at it. I'd read conflicting reviews, specially those that claimed it doesn't sound good without the dedicated power supply, but Jude's CanJam preview speaks very highly of them. I don't know if they support Roon ARC for remote listening, however. Might have to plug a phone in, in which case I could use a simpler, cheaper DAC + Amp like the Fiio K3 I already have.

Aug 12, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #309 of 432
But have you heard the Focal Bathy's? They are extremely good and I was quite taken aback when I heard them.
No, but they are an obvious option, along with the other Focal closed-back headphones for someone who has the Utopia and Elear. A bit more spendy than I'd like, however, but perhaps there will be show specials. I don't like that they are not made in France (only the drivers are).

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #310 of 432
I've been exploring headphones this year (as opposed to IEMs); never listened to any at previous CanJams. I've had fun modding DT770s and T50RPs and wish to hear what's around above those sets. I've listened to the HIFIMAN Ananda BT and Audivina on review tours but am looking forward to Focal, DCA, Audeze and ZMF because I've never tried any of that gear.

I'm not going to bring any gear with me except my Questyle M15 dongle, just in case an IEM takes my fancy.

Aug 13, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #312 of 432
My first stop will definitely be HEDD, for that secret HP! :) Funny though, HEDD HQ is about 20 mins drive from where I live and if I knew that something is on the way, I would be at their doorstep long time ago.

Next stop will be the HifiMan stand for the new Organic.

And the next one will definitely be FiiO, for the FT3 and M15S. I really like FiiO products, as they are often no-BS workhorses. FT3 measurements look very good and for the price of €300 they pretty much cover everything you would need for a HP - still don't get why other companies are not delivering cables with interchangeable plugs in the box while asking for several thousands for the HPs. Especially Focal - no 4.4mm cable / plug with their most expensive HP!

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #313 of 432
My first stop will definitely be HEDD, for that secret HP! :) Funny though, HEDD HQ is about 20 mins drive from where I live and if I knew that something is on the way, I would be at their doorstep long time ago.

Next stop will be the HifiMan stand for the new Organic.

And the next one will definitely be FiiO, for the FT3 and M15S. I really like FiiO products, as they are often no-BS workhorses. FT3 measurements look very good and for the price of €300 they pretty much cover everything you would need for a HP - still don't get why other companies are not delivering cables with interchangeable plugs in the box while asking for several thousands for the HPs. Especially Focal - no 4.4mm cable / plug with their most expensive HP!
I'll probably bump into you at some point... my exact targets as well.... those FT3's look interesting, especially for the price, and I'm a Fiio and iBasso Fan. I'd like to weigh up the M15S with my M11 Plus Ltd Ed Stainless Steel to see and hear the differences.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #314 of 432
I'd like to weigh up the M15S with my M11 Stainless Steel to see and hear the differences.
Please report back on that one... you know, asking for a friend :wink:

Aug 13, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #315 of 432
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back