CanJam London 2022 Impressions Thread (July 30-31, 2022)
Aug 3, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #242 of 348
Yeah, just hope their family emergency will not affect SoCal events
I’m just hoping there isn’t one at all.

Here is the current full exhibitor list from the main thread:

64 Audio
Akoustyx
ampsandsound
Astell&Kern
Atlas Cables
Audeze
Audio-Technica
Awedyo Audio
Benchmark Media Systems
Bloom Audio
Burson Audio
Campfire Audio
CEntrance
Chord Electronics
DALI
Dan Clark Audio
dCS
Dekoni Audio
DUNU
Effect Audio
Eletech
Empire Ears
FatFreq
Feliks Audio
Ferrum Audio
Focal
HeadAmp Audio Electronics
Headphones.com
HIFIMAN
InEar
Jerry Harvey Audio
Linear Tube Audio
Manley Labs
Meze Audio
NAD
Noble Audio
Pathos Acoustics
PrimaLuna
Pro-Ject Audio Systems
PSB
RAAL-requisite
RME
Roon Labs
Rupert Neve Designs
sBooster
Schiit Audio
Sennheiser
Soekris Audio
Soundcore
Spirit Torino
The Source AV
Upscale Audio
Vision Ears
Viva Audio
VZR Audio
Warwick Acoustics
Wells Audio
Woo Audio
ZMFheadphones

Edit: Musicteck has also confirmed to me he’ll be there
Someone said musicteck and now I’m scrambling to see if I’ll be able to attend grrr

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #243 of 348
Back home now and had time to compose some thoughts. I don't want to bore everyone with a wall of text so will keep it to the highlights:

1) Debut to e-stats and going all in
Some of you may know that I write for TechPowerUp in the Headphones and Audio categories, among other things, for the last year or so. I've been a predominantly dynamic driver over-ear headphones guy most of my life before trying out IEMs and planar headphones of various types, and have been lucky to experience some of the very best in the planar world today that better matched my music preferences too. But there still was a question remaining about whether electrostatic headphones would be my true end game (if there is one), and I was even offered a few different e-stats to try out and review. I went in to CanJam aiming to get my first e-stat experience after having already talked a bit with Audeze, Hifiman, and a couple of other headphone and amp makers, and that led to this:

After numerous hours with three Audeze CRBNs, the Stax SR-X9000 (and bonus Lambda Pro), twoHifiman Shangri-La Srs and a Jade II, as well as sources including the Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition, the Eksonic T2, the Stax SRM-700S, and the Hifiman Shangri-La Sr. amp, I made a decision and got in touch with Headamp. Thanks to both @Makiah S and @justin w. I went back home with that very BHSE above and then Hifiman loaned me the available Shangri-La Sr. headphones to take with it. This will be a fun weekend coming up, and now I am prepped for e-stat headphone reviews too!

2) Get exposure to more high end gear
Given my relatively recent entry to the >$500 world of headphones (outside of the Sennheiser HD820 I bought and sold quickly), I wanted to listen to more of the higher end stuff that these shows are really useful for. This included headphones from the likes of Abyss, Dan Clark Audio, Focal, Meze, and Spirit Torino in addition to sources from Chord, dCS, Caying, Zahl, and many more. There were also true flagship IEMs from Noble, Vision Ears, 64 Audio, JH Audio, MMR/Jomo Audio, and a few one-off units from brands including Elysian Acoustic Labs and Subtonic in addition to those I've already heard, and this was a lot of fun too. I wanted to see more participation from vendors and more suites too, although DCS came in handy here. Some of my pre-conceptions were thrown away after this weekend, including how well planars can sound off full tube amplifiers too! The Hifiman Susvara off the Feliks Audio Envy in particular was a combination I will keep thinking about, and this is coming from the guy who ran his Susvara demo unit off the Hifiman EF1000 for months too. In general I also felt more likely to pony up the cash for expensive headphones and desktop sources rather than expensive IEMs and DAPs given how quickly the portable market is evolving and a sense of FOMO/feature of the month attached to it.

3) Meet people and get to know others
Arguably the most important thing achieved whereby I had faces now to associate with names and email addresses, and also was able to meet many others who partake in this hobby. Some are extremely charismatic (Danny from RAAL-requisite and Mark from HiFiMAN come to mind immediately) whereas others didn't let language barriers get in the way of nerding out on driver composition in headphones/IEMs and electrical circuitry in sources. Likewise, the Head-Fi crew did a great job I thought and chatting to them also provided insight on how guys with years/decades of experience still relate to their guilty pleasures despite having access to basically everything. @jude in particular is way more chill in person than I thought he would be too, and I'll have to look for that Asha Bhosle recording of Ave Maria because of you!

4) Some other things that left a lasting impression
In no particular order:
  • HiFiMAN for introducing a new closed-back that sounds remarkably similar to its open-back twin
  • Campfire Audio Supermoon for a slammy balance
  • Audeze for making a unique e-stat set using headphones drivers very special to me
  • Meze 109 Pro for arguably being the best new <$1k set in a while
  • Elysian Acoustic X for showing me what Sonion EST IEM drivers are capable of
  • Subtonic Storm for actually justfying the hype being built around it
  • Elise Audio for being a bunch of music lovers who decided to start a shop to share their love with others
  • Focal Utopia for showing how dynamic drivers can still hang around, if not best the rest
  • InEar Prophile-8 for providing a musical touch without breaking the bank too much
  • Jomo Audio Prototype F for its unique haptics drivers and provided tactility
  • Spirit Torino Twin Pulse and Valkyria Titanium w/binaural choir recordings for an ethereal experience
  • xMEMs proof-of-concept drivers for keeping the nerd in me happy
  • Cayin HA-300MK2 for showing me how tubes are supposed to really sound
  • Zahl HM1 for getting added to my wishlist of parts for easy A/B testing of various things
  • RAAL-requisite SR1b + different pad openings on the RAAL CA-1a for showing me perhaps e-stats aren't the end game either
  • LETSHUOER Conductor for its wacky tuning most people hated and yet many absolutely love
  • Noble Audio for the honest discussions on how smaller brands in the West have to change their working philosophy when competing against ChiFi
  • dCS Audio for creating a pretty cool DAC with interesting filters and crossfeed tech that I'd like to see implemented in more accessible sources
Some random photos to end this post, including the first few from the night before CanJam London even began:

Whoops I hit my 25 images/post limit so these will have to do!

Excellent review! 😀

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #244 of 348
Back home now and had time to compose some thoughts. I don't want to bore everyone with a wall of text so will keep it to the highlights:

1) Debut to e-stats and going all in
Some of you may know that I write for TechPowerUp in the Headphones and Audio categories, among other things, for the last year or so. I've been a predominantly dynamic driver over-ear headphones guy most of my life before trying out IEMs and planar headphones of various types, and have been lucky to experience some of the very best in the planar world today that better matched my music preferences too. But there still was a question remaining about whether electrostatic headphones would be my true end game (if there is one), and I was even offered a few different e-stats to try out and review. I went in to CanJam aiming to get my first e-stat experience after having already talked a bit with Audeze, Hifiman, and a couple of other headphone and amp makers, and that led to this:

After numerous hours with three Audeze CRBNs, the Stax SR-X9000 (and bonus Lambda Pro), twoHifiman Shangri-La Srs and a Jade II, as well as sources including the Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition, the Eksonic T2, the Stax SRM-700S, and the Hifiman Shangri-La Sr. amp, I made a decision and got in touch with Headamp. Thanks to both @Makiah S and @justin w. I went back home with that very BHSE above and then Hifiman loaned me the available Shangri-La Sr. headphones to take with it. This will be a fun weekend coming up, and now I am prepped for e-stat headphone reviews too!

2) Get exposure to more high end gear
Given my relatively recent entry to the >$500 world of headphones (outside of the Sennheiser HD820 I bought and sold quickly), I wanted to listen to more of the higher end stuff that these shows are really useful for. This included headphones from the likes of Abyss, Dan Clark Audio, Focal, Meze, and Spirit Torino in addition to sources from Chord, dCS, Caying, Zahl, and many more. There were also true flagship IEMs from Noble, Vision Ears, 64 Audio, JH Audio, MMR/Jomo Audio, and a few one-off units from brands including Elysian Acoustic Labs and Subtonic in addition to those I've already heard, and this was a lot of fun too. I wanted to see more participation from vendors and more suites too, although DCS came in handy here. Some of my pre-conceptions were thrown away after this weekend, including how well planars can sound off full tube amplifiers too! The Hifiman Susvara off the Feliks Audio Envy in particular was a combination I will keep thinking about, and this is coming from the guy who ran his Susvara demo unit off the Hifiman EF1000 for months too. In general I also felt more likely to pony up the cash for expensive headphones and desktop sources rather than expensive IEMs and DAPs given how quickly the portable market is evolving and a sense of FOMO/feature of the month attached to it.

3) Meet people and get to know others
Arguably the most important thing achieved whereby I had faces now to associate with names and email addresses, and also was able to meet many others who partake in this hobby. Some are extremely charismatic (Danny from RAAL-requisite and Mark from HiFiMAN come to mind immediately) whereas others didn't let language barriers get in the way of nerding out on driver composition in headphones/IEMs and electrical circuitry in sources. Likewise, the Head-Fi crew did a great job I thought and chatting to them also provided insight on how guys with years/decades of experience still relate to their guilty pleasures despite having access to basically everything. @jude in particular is way more chill in person than I thought he would be too, and I'll have to look for that Asha Bhosle recording of Ave Maria because of you!

4) Some other things that left a lasting impression
In no particular order:
  • HiFiMAN for introducing a new closed-back that sounds remarkably similar to its open-back twin
  • Campfire Audio Supermoon for a slammy balance
  • Audeze for making a unique e-stat set using headphones drivers very special to me
  • Meze 109 Pro for arguably being the best new <$1k set in a while
  • Elysian Acoustic X for showing me what Sonion EST IEM drivers are capable of
  • Subtonic Storm for actually justfying the hype being built around it
  • Elise Audio for being a bunch of music lovers who decided to start a shop to share their love with others
  • Focal Utopia for showing how dynamic drivers can still hang around, if not best the rest
  • InEar Prophile-8 for providing a musical touch without breaking the bank too much
  • Jomo Audio Prototype F for its unique haptics drivers and provided tactility
  • Spirit Torino Twin Pulse and Valkyria Titanium w/binaural choir recordings for an ethereal experience
  • xMEMs proof-of-concept drivers for keeping the nerd in me happy
  • Cayin HA-300MK2 for showing me how tubes are supposed to really sound
  • Zahl HM1 for getting added to my wishlist of parts for easy A/B testing of various things
  • RAAL-requisite SR1b + different pad openings on the RAAL CA-1a for showing me perhaps e-stats aren't the end game either
  • LETSHUOER Conductor for its wacky tuning most people hated and yet many absolutely love
  • Noble Audio for the honest discussions on how smaller brands in the West have to change their working philosophy when competing against ChiFi
  • dCS Audio for creating a pretty cool DAC with interesting filters and crossfeed tech that I'd like to see implemented in more accessible sources
Some random photos to end this post, including the first few from the night before CanJam London even began:

Whoops I hit my 25 images/post limit so these will have to do!
Nice pics, just a tiny thing the one on the show is not T2 but Areas

Aug 3, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #246 of 348
Those pictures looked like No one was there or you shoo’d everyone out of the way hehe

Great review ! I agree front page nominee
And Voila, the future is here on the front page of Head fi.

Aug 4, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #247 of 348
Just a clarification regarding the Subtonic STORM as some people might have been confused.

The unit we had at the show was the engineering sample that Subtonic kindly agreed to lend us. The shape is final and the tuning is also final but the final shell colours and materials will look different.

Aug 4, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #248 of 348
Just a clarification regarding the Subtonic STORM as some people might have been confused.

The unit we had at the show was the engineering sample that Subtonic kindly agreed to lend us. The shape is final and the tuning is also final but the final shell colours and materials will look different.
I thought that was the case. For what it’s worth I actually thought the shells looked pretty cool as they were!

Aug 4, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #250 of 348
Aug 4, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #251 of 348
On the dCS LINA... I also tried that rig set up downstairs.

To be frank, I approached with quite some trepidation. I was very much wondering that I if I sat down with this thing then my Cave system, upon which I have lavished much love (and money), would be rendered unlistenable.

Not at all the case. It was obviously a nice sound but without the wow factor that would make me focus on getting it.

There wasn't much pressure from people wanting to listen at that dCS stand either. Maybe because there were five of the LINAs set up two floors above, maybe not.

In contrast, at the Meze stand you virtually had to beat people back with a stick if you were going to get to hear the Elite.

For that money, and from dCS, I was expecting to be wowed even under show conditions.

Aug 4, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #252 of 348
On the dCS LINA... I also tried that rig set up downstairs.
It was actually floor -1! one floor below ground floor.
To be frank, I approached with quite some trepidation. I was very much wondering that I if I sat down with this thing then my Cave system, upon which I have lavished much love (and money), would be rendered unlistenable.
Not at all the case. It was obviously a nice sound but without the wow factor that would make me focus on getting it.
I had no such trepidations, I felt deflated once I heard it, sure it was good, but I had my trustee Hugo2 with me, and comparison said, OK they sound a bit different, but not by much! I was expecting to be blown away.
Headphone listening is private, intimate listening - but sitting in front of table-top fridge is not my idea of that!
There wasn't much pressure from people wanting to listen at that dCS stand either. Maybe because there were five of the LINAs set up two floors above, maybe not.
Down two floors! at floor -3 :slight_smile:
In contrast, at the Meze stand you virtually had to beat people back with a stick if you were going to get to hear the Elite.
Yeah, I was one of them,
but I quickly left, deflated again . . . .

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #254 of 348
Can anybody share contact to the representative of Rupert Neve from the show? I missed him on the second day. Thank you :)

Aug 5, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #255 of 348
I am most interested in two tube amps from an English store that were shown. Since i got sick on Sunday, i couldn't listen to them. They were both clad in chrome and one was called "Blue Hawaii" or some such thing. 🙏😅

In case anyone knows what I'm talking about, please give me your impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back