CanJam Chicago 2023 (June 24-25, 2023)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #121 of 270
I don't think Kerry is attending Chicago. He mentioned LA though.

that's too bad. he was there last year and it was a real blast... @Kerry join us in Chicago? 🤞😉

May 13, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #122 of 270
ahh... ok I guess we'll have to check it in Chicago I guess :)
PXL_20230423_164120836.jpg

The electrostatic and dynamic amplifier sections are totally separated but do share a common preamplifier section.

It has a front switch to go between the amplifiers but the volume needs to be turned down. Next to that switch is a gain switch for high / low which applies to both amplifiers. The input is both balanced and single ended to allow for a phono preamp input. As in other RSA amplifiers, he converts the single ended to balanced through a separate circuit. It can drive either 2 electrostatic headphones or 2 dynamic headphones simultaneously. The above switch controls which amplifier is active.

In the power chassis, there are separate power supplies for the electrostatic and dynamic amplifiers. There is a small third supply for the LEDs and relays.

I haven't seen any measurements but even Ray who listens loud to feel the music has met his match. On high gain, I was told it is dead silent when nothing is playing. No one should really try listening at those obscene levels.

I listened for roughly 3 hours one Sunday when visiting him. If it goes into production I will be S/N 001.

On a side note the key electrostatic amplifier components come from a different industry and according to their manufacturer, this is their first use in audio.

I look forward to hearing others' comments after they get to listen at CanJam Chicago.

May 13, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #123 of 270
PXL_20230423_164120836.jpg

The electrostatic and dynamic amplifier sections are totally separated but do share a common preamplifier section.

It has a front switch to go between the amplifiers but the volume needs to be turned down. Next to that switch is a gain switch for high / low which applies to both amplifiers. The input is both balanced and single ended to allow for a phono preamp input. As in other RSA amplifiers, he converts the single ended to balanced through a separate circuit. It can drive either 2 electrostatic headphones or 2 dynamic headphones simultaneously. The above switch controls which amplifier is active.

In the power chassis, there are separate power supplies for the electrostatic and dynamic amplifiers. There is a small third supply for the LEDs and relays.

I haven't seen any measurements but even Ray who listens loud to feel the music has met his match. On high gain, I was told it is dead silent when nothing is playing. No one should really try listening at those obscene levels.

I listened for roughly 3 hours one Sunday when visiting him. If it goes into production I will be S/N 001.

On a side note the key electrostatic amplifier components come from a different industry and according to their manufacturer, this is their first use in audio.

I look forward to hearing others' comments after they get to listen at CanJam Chicago.

Very cool. And not too many double duty estat/dynamic amps out there.

I like the double headphone per each feature, which is nice (though imho I'd get read of separate L/R headphone out ports and just do another 4-pin XLR)

will be interesting to hear it.. added to my to-do list for CanJam!! thanks for sharing this exciting info 🙏

May 14, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #124 of 270
I did love the Grand Cayman and Shangri-la Jr setup as I have heard the HE-1’s before (and going to listen again in Chicago). Just a shame you can’t use another amp to hear the HE-1’s as the amp is inside the cups but damn is it so good.

But our drink from Austria it is also still delicious 😁

FF870025-62B7-4CCD-9793-35D2329A4DCF.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #125 of 270

Very cool stuff. I'm a bit suspicious of "combined" amplifiers, but in the same way I'd love to hear this. Ray Samuels has built some neat stuff over the years, and I had thought he had gotten off the saddle. Great to see he's still building!

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #128 of 270
Anyone going to be doing ear impressions at the show?
In every CanJam - several companies would do ear impressions.
But realistically, you need ear impressions done by the company you'd like to order your custom IEMs from...

May 18, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #129 of 270
Sweet! Is there going to be a sign up for it? I heard that is what you go to do in Canjam NY.
Indeed! We will have a signup sheet at the booth so we can bring in one small group at a time for listening sessions. At CanJam NYC we were only able to show HE 1 on a single day, however this time around we'll have 2 full days of HE 1, and so we will accommodate smaller groups for more listening time. For reference, CJNYC was 5 to 6 listeners for about 30 mins and we had to traverse through the hotel, which ate into some potential listening time. This time around we'll be on the same floor as the exhibit and will try and shrink the group size to 3 :)

Oh, and we'll have a CanJam Chicago raffle for this very 75th anniversary edition HD 800S (champagne finish) I have with me. We have done a handful of dealer demos with it but ultimately decided that it needs a new home in this community, specifically. Details to come. We can't wait to see everyone there :)

20230518_102025.jpg

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 18, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #130 of 270
Indeed! We will have a signup sheet at the booth so we can bring in one small group at a time for listening sessions. At CanJam NYC we were only able to show HE 1 on a single day, however this time around we'll have 2 full days of HE 1, and so we will accommodate smaller groups for more listening time. For reference, CJNYC was 5 to 6 listeners for about 30 mins and we had to traverse through the hotel, which ate into some potential listening time. This time around we'll be on the same floor as the exhibit and will try and shrink the group size to 3 :)

Oh, and we'll have a CanJam Chicago raffle for this very 75th anniversary edition HD 800S (champagne finish) I have with me. We have done a handful of dealer demos with it but ultimately decided that it needs a new home in this community, specifically. Details to come. We can't wait to see everyone there :)

20230518_102025.jpg
That sounds amazing! Sennheiser booth will easily be my most visited spot. Regarding sign-up, since it's 2 days can you sign up twice (1 session for each day), or do I gotta buy a fake mustache and go by another persona?

May 18, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #131 of 270
That sounds amazing! Sennheiser booth will easily be my most visited spot. Regarding sign-up, since it's 2 days can you sign up twice (1 session for each day), or do I gotta buy a fake mustache and go by another persona?
LOL! The ol' banana eyeglass trick won't fool us this time haha

Please keep it to 1 session per user so others have a chance to listen, and if at the end there are some openings or no-shows, jump right back in. It's not that we don't want you to listen more, but want to share as much as we can in the limited time we have.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 20, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #134 of 270
I have had a thought: if we're getting the HE-1 this year, is there a chance that Hifiman would be swinging thru with the Shang-Ri La Sr? Would be nice to have two mindbending experiences

May 21, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #135 of 270
@third_eye any chance the new iFi iCAN Phantom will be available for demo in Chicago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back