CanJam Chicago 2022 Impressions Thread (June 18-19, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 22, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #286 of 390
I heard the Decware OTL paired with the Atriums. It was very nice sounding, not too syrupy but still had some nice tube induced “rounding”, space to the sound. I actually have a Taboo on order so my blind purchase confidence increased having heard the OTL version. That said, I didn’t inquire on price of the Decware but if that is the price point, I like (and own) the LTA MZ3 more.
Just me but would stay with the MZ3 over the Decware.

That was the fabulous Airmid, but its builder isn't building any more amps of that kind... agree, it was just fabulous!
Yep so sad.

Jun 22, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #287 of 390
Just me but would stay with the MZ3 over the Decware.
I love tube amps so if I can swing it, I’m going to try to keep both the LTA and the Taboo (once it arrives 12 months from now).

Jun 22, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #289 of 390
I kind of feel that way too. It sounded good...but around 2k more than the headphone amp that Decware normally sells. This unit is supposed to be equivalent to their headphone amp with the anniversary mods.

The MZ3 is on the list. Think I saw them there... but sadly did not give them a try.

No one's a fan of the Cayin HA-300MK2?

Jun 22, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #290 of 390
I kind of feel that way too. It sounded good...but around 2k more than the headphone amp that Decware normally sells. This unit is supposed to be equivalent to their headphone amp with the anniversary mods.

The MZ3 is on the list. Think I saw them there... but sadly did not give them a try.

I own the mk1 so I didn’t really care to try it to be honest, I should have though :frowning2:

Jun 22, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #291 of 390

From what I am reading Decware sounds like a Pendant replacement with similar sonic characteristics, like slam, speed and relatively neutral tonality for tubes. But not sure at $3500 unless it brings something more to the table.

Jun 22, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #292 of 390
🤔 isn’t Decaware an IL company? Why didn’t they show up?

Jun 22, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #293 of 390

All the reviews raved about MZ3 are true, great sounding amp BUT it had (was in my system) the opposite tonal balanced to Cayin HA-300, just be careful!

All the reviews raved about MZ3 are true, great sounding amp BUT it had (was in my system) the opposite tonal balanced to Cayin HA-300, just be careful!
MZ3 was very transparent and "crisp". When comes down to MZ3 and Cayin 300B, it is all about personal taste, just discard all the BS reviews, it is about you.

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #294 of 390
That's the mystique of Decware.

Steve Deckert doesn't really do any shows or promotions. Doesn't ever really send out products to reviewers (thought this might've changed recently).

MZ3 was very transparent and "crisp". When comes down to MZ3 and Cayin 300B, it is all about personal taste, just discard all the BS reviews, it is about you.

My issue is that I struggle to evaluate things in a public setting. :frowning2:

Maybe MZ2 as the first step?

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #295 of 390
They are. Peoria as I recall. Based on their ~14 month orders to build queue, they clearly don’t need the “advertising” that a CanJam provides.

That's the mystique of Decware.

Steve Deckert doesn't really do any shows or promotions. Doesn't ever really send out products to reviewers (thought this might've changed recently).

My issue is that I struggle to evaluate things in a public setting. :frowning2:

Maybe MZ2 as the first step?
I never heard an MZ2 before acquiring an MZ3 but from what I’ve read, every one says the 3 is a marked improvement over the 2 especially over a 2 with stock power supply. Given lower entry price, perhaps consider an MZ2 with LPS upgrade option?

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #296 of 390
I never heard an MZ2 before acquiring an MZ3 but from what I’ve read, every one says the 3 is a marked improvement over the 2 especially over a 2 with stock power supply. Given lower entry price, perhaps consider an MZ2 with LPS upgrade option?
My brain has that bug where it goes, "If you're at 2k then you might as well go to the next upgrade"... and that never ending circle continues! Wish there was a rental plan to help you make up your mind (I get the return policies allow it... but don't feel right doing that).

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #297 of 390
Subscription loaner program - there I will take my 5% commission for the idea 😁

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #298 of 390
Subscription loaner program - there I will take my 5% commission for the idea 😁
I think the luxury car makers might have you beat there!

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #299 of 390
+1
Wish I could make it to Chicago, and finally meet them again... after almost 3 long years of not seeing Bevin and Zach in person :cry:
Would love to see you my man!

The Decware has the anniversary mod and about 4 or 5 other upgrades, it has just about everything you could possibly fit in an Amp with that chassis. I'll update closer to release on all of it.
From what I am reading Decware sounds like a Pendant replacement with similar sonic characteristics, like slam, speed and relatively neutral tonality for tubes. But not sure at $3500 unless it brings something more to the table.
Pendant and The ZMF x Decware OTL are extremely different. The pendant is an ultra linear design with transformers and the OTL doesn't have them. Both great amps but different sonics for sure.
The LTA MZ3 is amazing as is the Decware and Cayin. They are all amazing and very very different sounding amps so this is a great point. There will never be a one amp that encompasses all sounds, but these are three amazing flavors. Now I just need to figure out what super expensive 300B tube to get hahaha

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 23, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #300 of 390
The LTA MZ3 is amazing as is the Decware and Cayin. They are all amazing and very very different sounding amps so this is a great point. There will never be a one amp that encompasses all sounds, but these are three amazing flavors. Now I just need to figure out what super expensive 300B tube to get hahaha
Given that all three are such different amps. Yet are priced pretty similarly, which one would you go for — assuming you didn't have you favorite Glenn around — if you were limited to only picking one due to space and financial constraints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back