CanJam Chicago 2022 Impressions Thread (June 18-19, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #18 of 390
BDE49B82-6E8F-4640-8CA3-665CCE9CEEE3.jpeg

Dita's new flagship - Perpetua. More developed sound with much better bass comparing to XLS.

Jun 18, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #19 of 390
One of my favorite setups was the Atrium on the Cayin HA-300mk2. The sound was extremely wide and holographic. The Cayin has speed like a solid state with the tubey goodness of the 300B tubes. It all equates to making the Atriums a superb listen. One con I was expecting a little more low end presence from the Atriums. Surprisingly that came from the Auteur Classic’s, which are sitting off to the right. As many accolades as Atrium’s is getting, I prefer the sound of the Auteur Classics.

7747F926-F8E4-4C37-8969-C5AFCEB4E3B0.jpeg

2769DC3C-3ECE-449C-8804-F11F3F6CB359.jpeg

Another great listen was the Benchmark HPA4 with DAC 3 driving the new MM-500’s from Audeze. I was getting hammered by the bass and attack from this combo. The MM-500’s are fast and uncolored or maybe this the HPA4 providing the dynamics. To me they are closer to the LCD-X’s in performance and sound than to the MX4’s. Either way they are a must listen for some who mixes and like transparency.

0FF95340-1AAF-43A5-97D7-603B7E591974.jpeg

Jun 18, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #20 of 390
If Kerry's DIY T2 and the Woo Audio 3ES Elite (or standard) are present, can somebody compare the two with the same pair of headphones? I'm very curious about how the two amps compare. Thanks! I really wish there was a CanJam closer to where I live. I'm jealous of you all :smiley:

Jun 18, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #21 of 390
One of my favorite setups was the Atrium on the Cayin HA-300mk2. The sound was extremely wide and holographic. The Cayin has speed like a solid state with the tubey goodness of the 300B tubes. It all equates to making the Atriums a superb listen. One con I was expecting a little more low end presence from the Atriums. Surprisingly that came from the Auteur Classic’s, which are sitting off to the right. As many accolades as Atrium’s is getting, I prefer the sound of the Auteur Classics.

7747F926-F8E4-4C37-8969-C5AFCEB4E3B0.jpeg

2769DC3C-3ECE-449C-8804-F11F3F6CB359.jpeg
That’s the kind of impressions I like to hear! I already love my Og Auteur, so it will be hard to convince myself to send them in for the upgrade. I really want to hope someone gets to compare a OG Auteur to the Classic side by side in same setup. It’s impressive to heat you preferred the Classic to the Atrium!

Did Zach happen to mention anything about pricing for the upgrade from OG Auteurs to the Classic?

Jun 18, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #22 of 390
If anyone is interested, I am in the Lobby on the first floor of the Mariott Marquis with the full Empire Ears lineup, anyone is welcome to join me and take a listen. I'll probably be down here till around 11 or 12 tonight. Just PM me if you need help finding me.

Jun 18, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #23 of 390
If Kerry's DIY T2 and the Woo Audio 3ES Elite (or standard) are present, can somebody compare the two with the same pair of headphones? I'm very curious about how the two amps compare. Thanks! I really wish there was a CanJam closer to where I live. I'm jealous of you all :smiley:
No Woo presence that I’ve seen.

Jun 18, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #24 of 390
Sadly I didn't see the Meze 109 prototype set up anywhere. That was one I was hoping to get a chance to hear asap. But what I did get a chance to listen to I quite enjoyed.

The Diana TC with that Lina stack was indeed a lot of fun. Endgame stuff. Got a chance to sit down with the Atrium and Auteur Classic for 10-15 minutes each. I could've spent a lot more time with either of them. Both are great, though I'm probably more inclined to actually get the AC :thinking:. I spent some time with the IE600, which I also quite liked despite not usually being able to handle extra treble. Another :thinking: for different reasons. Lastly, I had a few minutes the RU-6, which is a really neat little dongle DAC and something I could easily talk myself into buying.

Jun 18, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #25 of 390
Haha, they are almost as hyper detailed as the SR1A’s with a much better bottom end. The clarity, spaciousness and instrument separation all there. What I didn’t like was the build. It’s plastic or some variation of plastic and to be honest they felt cheap unlike the driver tech and sound.
While they might not be the looker of some of the others, I found the fit comfortable and I liked the sound. I picked up a pair.

Jun 18, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #26 of 390
As many accolades as Atrium’s is getting, I prefer the sound of the Auteur Classics.

I second your preference. Listened to Atriums out of a few amps, as well as Verite at a previous show, and ended up preferring the Auteur Classics to both. I feel like the Atrium was more detailed and a better technical performer, but the balanced, mostly neutral sound and good timbre of the Auteur Classic really won me over.

dCS Lina was amazing, hands down the best digital source I've ever heard, completely transformed a track that I am very familiar with but until now thought had poor recording quality. I tested this track on a few multi thousand dollar DACs at the show and still thought it was poorly recorded. However it sounded much better on the Lina. Looking forward to trying out the Chord Dave tomorrow for a comparison. (Note: of course the Lina is objectively not worth the money, would much rather have a Panigale in my garage or several European ski holidays than spend 30K on some headphone system, I did think it sounds good though).

I really enjoyed the digital audio primers from Michael Goodman and Rob Watts. Although I did not understand some of the technical stuff they helped me understand why two DACs that both have "beyond audible" performance can sound different.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #27 of 390
Preliminary impression (1st listen caveat): Bartok 2.0 > Lina dac and Lina amp lacks transparency. Will try again tomorrow. Bartok 2.0 is a step or two below SOTA quality currently on the market, unfortunately. Also, Holo May was underwhelming again.

Time to prep for day 2

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #28 of 390
Sounds like the Auteur Classic is winning everyone over. It’s going to be a big seller at $1499.

Jun 19, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #30 of 390
The Eksonic room was probably my favorite part of day 1. The two amps Kerry has in there are incredible.
I agree. The T2 in particular was awesome and I made a point of listening to the Blue Hawaii and the LTA Z10e soon after the T2 and Aeras to compare. T2 won that contest hands down although I did like the sense of space the LTA amp imparts. The Aeras packs a lot of sound quality into a relatively small desktop footprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back