CanJam at RMAF October 2013 Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #107 of 353
MrSpeakers did have the Mad Dog there.  Here's a still from video I took on Sunday.

Er, actually I meant to say that the Alpha Dog is the 3D-printed headphone that costs $600. But I also stand corrected.
redface.gif

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #108 of 353
Hey Frank.. can you provide a little more info in the power supply? I finally went for the WA7 based on your review and comments and am enjoying it.  Same setup with PS separate and cabled to the main unit? Any release date?
Thanks for all the great pics!!  Wish I could have gone but as consolidation prize, TAVES (Toronto AV Show) is here on Nov 1 but the headphone coverage is not nearly as extensive.

Quote:
  Woo WA7 with the new WA7 optional $300.00 power supply that uses 12Au7 to fine tune the sound. The transparency stepped up a huge notch with the additional tube regulated power supply.

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #109 of 353

Audeze site has been updated with the new models.

Looks like a speaker baffle type thing to me.

Drivers look identical to the LCD2 transducers, except in place of where I have bitumen and bit of speaker method dampening, they've applied a new material called the fazer. I like the way Audeze engineers are going with this as it seems some feedback have worked with them trying to reduce the conventional thick wool dampening to nullify bit of the resonance of reflection issues direct from the stators to the grill.

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #110 of 353
Hi Mickey,

The power supply is all tube regulated. It had 2 12AU7 in there and they were stock tubes. The sound quality when I AB the stock solid state supply and the Tube were like when  Simon switched from the solid state to the Tube supply. The sound stage expanded vboth in front and back and side to side wothh. More air and seperation in instruments and the transparency if you can believe, stepped up another class. I highly recommend ordering the supply for 300.00, it is well worth the money and imagine the tube rolling you can do. I for one would use RCA clear tops which ar elike 25.00 each. 

I also believe next year in Toronto there WILL BE a HEADPHONE EVENT. A little birdie whispered it in my ear 

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #111 of 353
  Hi Mickey,

The power supply is all tube regulated. It had 2 12AU& in there and they were stock tubes. The sound quality when I AB the stock solid state supply and the Tube were like when  Simon switched from the solid state to the Tube supply. The sound stage expanded vboth in front and back and side to side wothh. More air and seperation in instruments and the transparency if you can believe, stepped up another class. I highly recommend ordering the supply for 300.00, it is well worth the money and imagine the tube rolling you can do. I for one would use RCA clear tops which ar elike 25.00 each. 

I also believe next year in Toronto there WILL BE a HEADPHONE EVENT. A little birdie whispered it in my ear 

beerchug.gif
  Can't wait! I'm going to this year's TAVES, but definitely going next year too!

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #112 of 353
Thanks Frank!! Great news on both fronts!  SWEET! Next on my list is the PS as soon as I see it on Woo's site. Actually listening to Enya with the WA7 and HD800 right now.  Very nice.. hard to believe that it will get better :).

Quote:
  Hi Mickey,

The power supply is all tube regulated. It had 2 12AU& in there and they were stock tubes. The sound quality when I AB the stock solid state supply and the Tube were like when  Simon switched from the solid state to the Tube supply. The sound stage expanded vboth in front and back and side to side wothh. More air and seperation in instruments and the transparency if you can believe, stepped up another class. I highly recommend ordering the supply for 300.00, it is well worth the money and imagine the tube rolling you can do. I for one would use RCA clear tops which ar elike 25.00 each. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #113 of 353
  Anymore impressions on Geek(kickstarter) and Vali?

I was hangin' w/ Gavin (Fish, from Light Harmonic - he's such a good guy and a good friend - we've known each other since he was at MIT) and got to audition the GEEK using my own LCD3s!
I couldn't believe the velocity of the drums, and the presence of the vocals while BUMPIN' Nirvana's "Come As You Are".  I mean I've played that record so many times, and it was like hearing it anew...

But I think this picture says more than I can about that experience (Gav took this while I was crankin' Nirvana):

Having written up the story of the Kickstarter/Light Harmonic/GEEK campaign in The Daily Swarm (LINK HERE)
and knowing about the project for awhile - I gotta admit it blew away my already-very-high expectations!  
The sound was so dynamic, so alive, so engrossing...

I honestly thought it sounded like one of my desktop reference rigs!  BIG sound, low-noise floor.  Gav told me it puts
out a clean watt.  Plus it's got a bit of the Light Harmonic DAC magic: Like their DaVinci DAC, which is how they made their
reputation, and while it's a TON of money (the DaVinci), it's one of the most transparent DACs I've played with, and looks like audio art.

Here are a few more pics from CanJam.  I'm preparing my official report, so I'll try to add some commentary ASAP!!
Had so much fun this year!

Cavalli Liquid Gold + Abyss was also a big highlight for me!  The bass 
from that combo was just unreal: Such SLAM, but controlled,
it rippled out like an audible pond - and I got swept up in it all.
I would like to hear more of this combo, and I wasn't a big fan of the Abyss before.
I also loved the amp w/ my LCD3s.  Review of the Liquid Gold coming ASAP!!

The Schiit Vali was EVERYTHING @purrin said!!  I can't wait to get my hands on one.
It's going to end up replacing some of my rigs that cost 10X the price!  It was warm, it 
had gestalt, air, and connected me to the music where the CanJam floor just melted AWAY.

The ALO Island also impressed the hell outta me!  I got one for review.
This baby sounds as good as it looks!  It reminds me of my DACport, 
but had more sparkle to it, especially when I ran it via RSA output.
A KILLER piece of kit.

When I was listening to Cavalli's Liquid Glass and my LCD3's Alex (Cavalli)
told me "you were really lost in it there" and he was RIGHT ON.  This and the
Liquid Gold were two of my favorite listening experiences of CanJam 2013!

Another highlight was getting to hear the LCD-X through the Studio Six,
as I bought my review sample, so I know the amp well and listen to it often 
w/ my LCD3's.  Hearing it with the LCD-X: Whoa!  I'm gonna be living with the LCD-X
soon - so I'll have a more informed impression then, but I preferred some attributes of the LCD-X
in this rig to my LCD3's: It gave me more of that out-of-your-head experience like my HD800s +
the soul of my LCD3's in one pair of cans!  I can't WAIT to put the X to the real test at home.

and getting to play tunes at the Sat. Beer Social was a GREAT time!

I didn't get pics, but I was also very impressed w/ the RHA MA750 IEMs, and the girls from RHA were a blast
to listen to music with and hang...  I have a pair of those for review.  

They also loved the GEEK + LCD3s:

They couldn't believe "how small" the DAC/amp was when I 
showed them the GEEK after they listened there in the Atrium with me.

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #115 of 353
  I was hangin' w/ Gavin (Fish, from Light Harmonic - he's such a good guy and a good friend - we've known each other since he was at MIT) and got to audition the GEEK using my own LCD3s!
I couldn't believe the velocity of the drums, and the presence of the vocals while BUMPIN' Nirvana's "Come As You Are".  I mean I've played that record so many times, and it was like hearing it anew...

But I think this picture says more than I can about that experience (Gav took this while I was crankin' Nirvana):

Having written up the story of the Kickstarter/Light Harmonic/GEEK campaign in The Daily Swarm (LINK HERE)
and knowing about the project for awhile - I gotta admit it blew away my already-very-high expectations!  
The sound was so dynamic, so alive, so engrossing...

I honestly thought it sounded like one of my desktop reference rigs!  BIG sound, low-noise floor.  Gav told me it puts
out a clean watt.  Plus it's got a bit of the Light Harmonic DAC magic: Like their DaVinci DAC, which is how they made their
reputation, and while it's a TON of money (the DaVinci), it's one of the most transparent DACs I've played with, and looks like audio art.

Here are a few more pics from CanJam.  I'm preparing my official report, so I'll try to add some commentary ASAP!!
Had so much fun this year!

Cavalli Liquid Gold + Abyss was also a big highlight for me!  The bass 
from that combo was just unreal: Such SLAM, but controlled,
it rippled out like an audible pond - and I got swept up in it all.
I would like to hear more of this combo, and I wasn't a big fan of the Abyss before.
I also loved the amp w/ my LCD3s.  Review of the Liquid Gold coming ASAP!!

The Schiit Vali was EVERYTHING @purrin said!!  I can't wait to get my hands on one.
It's going to end up replacing some of my rigs that cost 10X the price!  It was warm, it 
had gestalt, air, and connected me to the music where the CanJam floor just melted AWAY.

The ALO Island also impressed the hell outta me!  I got one for review.
This baby sounds as good as it looks!  It reminds me of my DACport, 
but had more sparkle to it, especially when I ran it via RSA output.
A KILLER piece of kit.

When I was listening to Cavalli's Liquid Glass and my LCD3's Alex (Cavalli)
told me "you were really lost in it there" and he was RIGHT ON.  This and the
Liquid Gold were two of my favorite listening experiences of CanJam 2013!

Another highlight was getting to hear the LCD-X through the Studio Six,
as I bought my review sample, so I know the amp well and listen to it often 
w/ my LCD3's.  Hearing it with the LCD-X: Whoa!  I'm gonna be living with the LCD-X
soon - so I'll have a more informed impression then, but I preferred some attributes of the LCD-X
in this rig to my LCD3's: It gave me more of that out-of-your-head experience like my HD800s +
the soul of my LCD3's in one pair of cans!  I can't WAIT to put the X to the real test at home.

and getting to play tunes at the Sat. Beer Social was a GREAT time!

I didn't get pics, but I was also very impressed w/ the RHA MA750 IEMs, and the girls from RHA were a blast
to listen to music with and hang...  I have a pair of those for review.  

They also loved the GEEK + LCD3s:

They couldn't believe "how small" the DAC/amp was when I 
showed them the GEEK after they listened there in the Atrium with me.

Thanks.  The Vali and Geek are on my want list.  
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #116 of 353
x2. After going through the entire Vali thread, it's on my list too for a second system. Impressions seem great and for the price... :)

Quote:

Thanks.  The Vali and Geek are on my want list.  
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #119 of 353
The Vali is on my list as well. The Schiit brochure at the show displayed it at $99, but the price tag that was on display was $119. I asked one of the Schiit guys about it, and it's $119. Still a great deal!

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #120 of 353
I think they are going to have trouble keeping the Vali in stock if it maintains its reputation.

And on the topic of funny automatically generated ads, I just got this one:

Schiit at Amazon - Big Savings on Schiit - Amazon.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back