CanFest 2010 Charlotte, Saturday, August 14, 2010
Aug 29, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #46 of 56
Hit Observation:
I have noticed a significant increase in the activity in the "Meets" forum recently which is great. There seems to be more meets being organized around the world and this would appear to help spread the word about our hobby. Regarding the number of hits on the CanFEST 2010 thread there were over 7800 suggesting some reasonable level of interest. Interestingly, hits for the 2009 CanFEST thread were almost twice that of 2010 for which I am not sure if it is due to the down turn in the economy or less interest in the event or other reasons. Regardless, both events were fun and it appeared many enjoyed their time at CanFEST.

I would encourage more Head-Fi members to hold meets, no matter what size, as they advance our hobby and it is a great place to meet some very interesting people. It was fantastic to see some teenagers at CanFEST to whom we can begin to "pass the torch" so our hobby can continue long after we are gone. As far as if there will be a CanFEST 2011, it's anybody's guess.

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #50 of 56
[size=11pt][size=11pt]Hey Danny, you did a fantastic job with the meet. But I still don't understand why you let the Hooters girls leave before 4:00PM? Attendance appeared to be down this year too, huh? Between the larger room and what appeared to be less traffic, quality listening time was possible. As far as attendance, I gather from more than one industry insider that high-end audio has taken a major hit with the soft economy. Who knew this wasn't a necessity? [/size][/size]

Aug 31, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #51 of 56
[size=11pt][size=11pt]"But I still don't understand why you let the Hooters girls leave before 4:00PM?"[/size][/size]

[size=11pt][size=11pt]There were three formal complaints against you and only two Hooter girls. That's why they left early. It was your fault. Next time behave yourself. [/size][/size]

[size=11pt][size=11pt]You are right about a lower attendance compared to last year. However, the interesting thing is that attending was free so people could come without buying anything and just enjoy the "education" and experience of what is new to the world of headphones of which there were a few great surprises. [/size][/size]

[size=11pt][size=11pt]Anyway, I do hope things pick up for the sake of manufacturer and retailers, not only of headphone related items but all of audio and beyond. [/size][/size]That will definitely make for better times for many.

Sep 3, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #53 of 56

[size=11pt][size=11pt]There were three formal complaints against you and only two Hooter girls. That's why they left early. It was your fault. Next time behave yourself. [/size][/size]

Danny, I you give me their home numbers I'll call and appologize for my actions.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #55 of 56
A fixture.

Hmmm, Well, the first thing I have to do is make sure I find a way to at least cover expenses as I lost a little money with this adventure, which is, fortunately, no big deal. I just don't want to make it a habit. The other issue is consideration for expanding it a bit to go beyond headphones only to appeal to a larger audience while still having an emphasis on headphones.

Future shows/meets are up in the air at this time. But I really do appreciate the comments by you and the others along with the effort everyone made to attend the event. It is most rewarding to see how my simple efforts evolved into helping others learn more about the hobby while advancing relationships professionally and personally. Several of the exhibitors made contact with each other that may result in helping them forge new relationships which may lead to innovative designing and representing equipment for each other and ultimately helping their businesses grow and prosper.

I sensed that the overall mood at CanFEST among exhibitors what not so much competitive as it was cooperative. This helped create a warm and engaging atmosphere allowing all to enjoy the meet that much more. My thanks to all who attended to allow this to happen, attendees and exhibitors. It's hard to have one without the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back