Candid opinions needed on redbook upgrade
Dec 18, 2005 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

replytoken

500+ Head-Fier
Its amazing how a new pair of headphones (
600smile.gif
) can cause such disruption in a home system. To make a long story short, my new HD-600's would like to have a place in my home system. I am temporarily using a TAH while I consider an amp upgrade better designed for home use. (I am considering a HR Micro w/DM, but really want a HR Millet Hybrid) While I am mulling over my amp options, I am again thinking about a source upgrade. Unfortunately, the last time I tried to upgrade my source, it was too much money for too little change in sound. I liked the Planet 2000, but I just couldn't hear $900 worth of improvement.

So, I do not know why, but I am trying to revisit the issue, and am wondering about some budget players that have received some praise in the last year. Most specifically, Sony's 595 and 2000ES. They would be replacing my old, but dependable Yamaha. To help understand my point of reference, I have put the Yamaha against the NAD 521BEE and found the Yamaha to be a better sounding machine. I will not consider any Cambridge Audio products due to a previously bad experience with their equipment. I want something that can be serviced locally so I am going to pass on the Eastsound. Rotel is supposed to make a decent unit, but it is fast approaching the price of the Planet 2000. Given all of this, can these Sony's, or any other suggested CDP's, give me noticeable improvement at a good price. Sometimes it seems that source upgrades seem more expensive than any other component. Any thoughts?

Dec 19, 2005 at 9:54 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by replytoken
Unfortunately, this model does not have a digital out.
frown.gif

The good thing is: CDPs with digital out are a dime a dozen. Just pick one up off eBay that has the features you want & does not make you want to avert your eyes in disgust. If you add a reclocking DAC like the Benchmark DAC1 or *cough* the AQVOX *cough* you do not have to worry about the transport much. Or you can just pick a flexible system like the Headroom Microstack, whatever you like.

Dec 19, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 6
I couldn't resist, and decided to try a Sony 595 for $130. I have 30 days to see if I like it. If I keep it, it offers me SACD and can later act as a transport. Most importantly, it educates my ears to another player and it buys me time. I am anxious to hear Rega's new Apollo CDP. I expect that it will be released in Jan or Feb. next year. In the mean time, I'll give the Sony a chance to earn its keep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back