Canary StarQuad for new Cable? Which one and Where?
Jan 25, 2006 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mozhoven

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to make my own cable for my HD590's. I've heard alot about Canary StarQuad but can't seem to find the right one, there are many choices.

Can someone post a link or give me the exact model number of the right cable for me? I only want 4' with a Sub-mini on one end and a mini connector on the other. I'm hoping it'll be an improvement over my stock cable.

BTW, I'm open to other suggestions for wire - the StarQuad is all I've heard of honestly. I'm even open to the best connectors for this project, currently I use gold-plated Radio Shack connectors.

Thanks in advance!
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 7
I would use something similar to a mic cable: two pairs of twisted pair copper leads (L+GND, R+GND) of reasonable thickness (resistance at the desired length should be at most 1% of the can impedance - but since what Sennheiser & Co. use tends to be hair thin [thus OFC is employed, btw - cleaner copper means lower resistance], anything of non-negligible thickness would do) plus an additional shield (GND) connected at the plug (amp side) only. The result should not be too stiff or heavy. Maybe you can even buy some mic cable like that. (Electrically, ordinary CAT.5 cabling should be OK, but tends to miss the stiffness and weight requirements.) As for the plugs, check whether those have a decent strain relief as this'll be needed.

BTW, you should've seen my HD590 replacement cable
tongue.gif
- it involved (IIRC) one 1/4" to 2x RCA adapter, two cheap RCA cables connected with two RCA female-female adapters, one 2xRCA to 1/8" adapter and finally a 1/8" to 2.5 mm (should be 1/10" then, huh?) adapter dremeled off to fit. Well, the last part didn't last very long, but at least the whole thing sounded better than the stock cable... Oh, and it was a bit less adventurous before, it's just that my 1/8" length expander cable crapped out so I had to improvise.

Jan 25, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
Canare 4e6s is probably the cable you are looking for.

I second that choice! Try the other variations of that type of mic cable for different wire gauges.

Jan 31, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the advice. I've redone both my 500 and 555 (completely, inside and out) and what a difference it makes!

My 555's really have the Bass now! All of the other frequencies seem more accurate, full, and powerful.

See my other thread about the specifics of my experience. (If your interested...I'm sure you guys know exactly what I'm talking about. It'll be like preaching to the choir...)

Thanks again!
580smile.gif

Aug 17, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 7
I think the Canare L-4E6S is probably a bit stiff. Try the L-4E5C or the Mogami 2893. Those are 4.8 mm in total diameter whereas the L-4E6S is 6 mm in diameter. Sound quality wise, they're probably not noticeable.

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
I think the Canare L-4E6S is probably a bit stiff. Try the L-4E5C or the Mogami 2893. Those are 4.8 mm in total diameter whereas the L-4E6S is 6 mm in diameter. Sound quality wise, they're probably not noticeable.

EPIC 6 YEAR THREAD NECRO. Thanks for reviving this one from the depths, I'm sure we all missed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back