Canare and Techflex in Australia
Apr 14, 2005 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Tohex

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I am interested in getting involved in building a few cables, infact i've done a few, but only with some cheaper jacks and 4-core audio cable that i found at my local dick smith....they aint bad, but....

Just wondering if anyone in Au (i'm in Sydney btw) has bought Canare products and where from...same goes for techflex or other cable sleeving that is decent...

Any help appreciated,

Alucrep

Apr 14, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #2 of 14
Jaycars used to stock starquad from Canare but I think their starquad is from SUPRA nowadays. They still stock Canare balanced mike cable which is basically 2 core with a single shield.

Techflex I recently ordered from www.wirecare.com which worked rather well. It helps if you plan ahead to make a few cables to get shipping costs down.

Apr 14, 2005 at 7:09 AM Post #3 of 14
Nice man, i'll look into it...what about your jacks/sockets....Sounds like you've made some nice cables (from ur sig :p)

Apr 14, 2005 at 7:23 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
Techflex I recently ordered from www.wirecare.com which worked rather well. It helps if you plan ahead to make a few cables to get shipping costs down.

What are their shipping and handling cost to Oz and is it reasonable?

Apr 14, 2005 at 7:47 AM Post #5 of 14
farnell has started stocking some braided sleeving also!

www.techflex.biz is the local distributor worth a shot their prices are not bad.

also try checking out pc case mod shops, they have some as well.

canare cable and a host of connectors will be at your local music/pa store out the back in the technicians den. i get my amphenol, switchcraft and neutrik stuff from my local, along with proel hpc210 and canare starquad.

click on the akg recable link in my sig and you can see a nice amphenol 1/4" trs that set me back $5. its my new champion favourite, easy to work with, looks great, solid as all hell, slim, and best of all costs 1/3rd of the neutrik equivalent!

Apr 14, 2005 at 7:50 AM Post #6 of 14
www.factorysound.com in melb has a great online pdf catalog to download that should give you an idea of products/pricing available down under. but i wouldnt bother buying from them unless you're a local. you'll likely get the same prices at the store down the road from you and you can see/feel the connectors and cable before you buy
smily_headphones1.gif

amphenol.com.au has the range of amphenol connectors too. check em out! they rule
600smile.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 8:32 AM Post #7 of 14
Thanks, that is really handy...yeh i the techflex site looks ok, shame their ordering service isn't a bit better....i'll also have to check out some music shops.

Apr 14, 2005 at 9:31 AM Post #9 of 14
wirecare shipping costs are reasonable. What you expect from US. Roughtly $25 USD for internation USPS shipping. The handling charge is dodgy for <$25 orders, but if you order a few lenghts at once thoes costs disappear.

My cables are here: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...&postcount=362

The jacks and sockets are from: www.thlaudio.com pretty reasonable pricing, and the WBTs are sexy to boot. (oh and sound good too
biggrin.gif
) I use thl a lot generally every 2 months or so. I've only ever had a problem once, and that was Australia Post collecting the mail and not giving me an order waiting card. I recomend these guys to everyone.

Also the cables were from http://www.apexjr.com/ Very cheap silver plated copper wire. All stranded 18awg/22awg wired using the eichmann ratio. I know what people say about plated copper wire, skin effects and all that but given the cost of cable it's hard to justify the expense. Actual eichmann series 6 ICs don't sound $190 better!

Apr 14, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #12 of 14
I have ordered cable and jacks from a place called Custom Audio Cables. Take a look at the specials page (http://www.customaudiocables.com.au/specials.html ) for Canare and Mogami cable plus a range of jacks, including Canare F12. Service was excellent.

I have ordered techflex from PC Casegearhttp://www.pccasegear.com.au/category106_1.htm. It wasn't cheap and the range isn't spectacular but you can buy by the metre. I also ordered penguin mints from here, mainly out of curiosity having seen so many CMoy amps built into the tins but they are actually really nice mints.

Regards,
Daniel

Apr 15, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #13 of 14
That looks like a good site...very cool, will probably order from there..

Also, i found this site:
here
And it look ok. The thing at the very bottom there, the Vantec stuff...i read a review somewhere else and as far as i can tell it comes with about 30 feet of sleeving..in a few different widths...so it could be cool....but you'd wanna double check what sizes first etc...just going from memory.

Thanks guys

Apr 15, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel_S
I have ordered cable and jacks from a place called Custom Audio Cables. Take a look at the specials page (http://www.customaudiocables.com.au/specials.html ) for Canare and Mogami cable plus a range of jacks, including Canare F12. Service was excellent.

great link! some of these connector prices are really cheap, might have to pick some up
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back