Canalphones with more bass?
Aug 8, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 31
looks right on the money to me...
biggrin.gif

The EB definately has TONS of bass. Unless you want your sound slanted significantly towards bass, you should not go beyond the Super.Fi 5 Pro.

How much bass are you looking for? Can you compare it to something?

Aug 8, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Canalphones I've heard, in order of bassiness:

ER4S<E3=ER4P<<E4<<E2<E5<<Superfi 5 pro (<<<Superfi EB supposedly)

Where do the er6 and er6i fit in?

Aug 8, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 31
If you're a 4P user, then presumably you'll be missing the treble if you switch to the super.fi or e5c. I'd recommend the Westone UM2. Not only does it have a ton of bass (and enough power handling to give you a ton more if you EQ it), it also has much of the same treble clarity and detail that the ER-4P is so famous for. Unfortunately, it also has some of the same sibilance and harshness, but less of it, so if it wasn't a problem with the ER-4P, then it won't be a problem with the UM2.

Also, there is the iPod bass roll-off issue to consider. If you're using a low-impedance phone on the iPod straight out of the headphone jack (the 4P is very low impedance), then you will - supposedly - have less bass than when you're using the line-out and a standalone amp. Now, I never had an iPod so I never heard this myself, but it is something to take into consideration. Maybe a DAP upgrade will fix your needs. In any case, the UM2 is a nice canalphone to check out and a definite upgrade from the ER-4P in most things.

P.S. Nice photos! Love the cityscapes.

Aug 9, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #8 of 31
Hi all! Thank you for your great help.

I think the Ultimate superfi 5EB (or the Westone UM2) could be the right for me.

@Jasper994: I have the PortaPro and that headphones have great bass for Trance music.

@catscratch: For me the Ethy 4P are definitly the wrong canalphones for Trance/Tecno music. So I think I will not miss the treble. The Ethys 4P are great for vocal music or jazz. But I will look for the UM2.
PS: Thank you! :)

Johannes.

Aug 9, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 31
I think you will be happy with UM2.

I almost exclusively listen to UM2 with my ambient/house trance and remix music (with or without amp). I had other IEM before and UM2 is very good in the bass area and yet detailed without being too bright. Heavy bass trance music like "Time" and "Change Style" by Benny Benassi is almost visceral with UM2. I can "feel" the bass of Gabriel & Dresden and IIO remix work. The bass also depends on what canal tip used. I prefer to use the long comply foam tip. UM2 is also the most comfortable of all the IEM I used.

One of these days when my wallet recovers....I want to try the Ultimate Ears UE10Pro
icon10.gif

Aug 9, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #10 of 31
Um2 I think would be the best...

Anyone know of a good place to download Gabriel and Dresden mixes from. I only have them at 192 Lame mp3.

Aug 9, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by YngwieJMalmsteen
In general the shure series has more bass. I haven't heard it, but the e5c supposedly has crazy amounts of bass.

I was going to say the exact same thing (except i own them). For some music (classical rock and grunge), I actually prefer them to the Sensa's. And of couse, there's Shure's legendary service.

Aug 9, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #13 of 31
I've owned both UM-2 and E5. Currently keeping E5s. I really prefer the clean, forward signature of the Shure product. UM-2s were fine, but a little loose for me and prone to sibilance. The E5s (w/tri-flange sleeves) approach near-perfect performance from virtually any source.

Aug 10, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #14 of 31
Well, I own or have owned the 4P's, 6i's, Shure E5C's and several other miscellaneous buds but nothing and I mean nothing comes close to the bass of the Super.Fi 5EB's! They are nirvana for a basshead.

Honestly, mine are different from the regular EB's. They've been tweaked and are considered a pre-production unit. Have no idea...yet...of what changes have been made. After loving the E5C's for their warmer sound and better bass(as compared to the ety's), I must admit to being taken aback by the bass and overall lower end on these phones. Yet, once I got used to it, I really found myself liking it. Yes, it does color the music terribly toward the lower end but man, on some recordings, you gotta just thump out! Not saying they'll replace my E5C's, but there's definitely a place for these in my setup. Keepers for sure!

Aug 10, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Well, I own or have owned the 4P's, 6i's, Shure E5C's and several other miscellaneous buds but nothing and I mean nothing comes close to the bass of the Super.Fi 5EB's! They are nirvana for a basshead.

Honestly, mine are different from the regular EB's. They've been tweaked and are considered a pre-production unit. Have no idea...yet...of what changes have been made. After loving the E5C's for their warmer sound and better bass(as compared to the ety's), I must admit to being taken aback by the bass and overall lower end on these phones. Yet, once I got used to it, I really found myself liking it. Yes, it does color the music terribly toward the lower end but man, on some recordings, you gotta just thump out! Not saying they'll replace my E5C's, but there's definitely a place for these in my setup. Keepers for sure!

So Ken are you saying the shure E5C's or the Super fi 5EB's would be my kind of canalphone. Is the bass controlled and tight? Bass aside is the E5C warm and smooth or warm and sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back