canalphones... which one?
Jul 10, 2005 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

b-sides

100+ Head-Fier
right now i am still searching for a good portable headphone. i originally purchased the ksc75s, but i returned them because they were virtually unusable in loud enviroments, and i prefer my 497s at home. i'm currently between either the er6is or the e2cs, aand leaning a little towards the e2cs. ive also considered ex71s as a cheaper alternative, but ended up dismissing it as i can get e2cs for $10 more.

i'll be using them probably on the bus and airplane, as well as noisy enviroments, so isolation is a must, but im also worried about microphonics because i may be walking around a lot. im also looking for a slightly warm sound. so do you guys suggest the er6is or e2cs for my case? i can get the e2cs for $60 and the er6is for $90.

Jul 10, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 14
Yes, go with the E2, they offer about as little microphonics as you'll find and they have a nice warm sound.

I haven't heard the ER6i but the ER6 to me sounded very thin.

Jul 10, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 14
i have a pair of er6i's (actually listening to them as i type this) and theyre great. clear, bright, detailed. the bass is somewhat lacking, but when amped up its no problem. i was in the same delemia a few weeks ago, and ended up getting the etys over the e2cs because most people feel that the shures are bass heavy, but lack the great detail the etys have. i guess it comes down to what you want:
clarity, great detail
or
bass heavy, much less clarity

Jul 10, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 14
ER-6i sounds more rounded than the ER-6 due to the increased bass response -- the 6i doesn't sound as thin. This increased bass response gives the ER-6i some warmth. How much warmth are you looking for?

I haven't heard the E2c, so I can't personally comment on it. However, others have said that the E2c has rolled-off treble and bloated bass.

Personally, I would save up for the E4c. Best bang for the buck canalphone right there - more bass than the ER-6i, making it more engaging and fun to listen to. I've also been told that the E4c strays from the "typical Shure house sound" that the E2/E3/E5 share.

Given your choices and sonic preferences, I'd rather go with the ER-6i, amped.

Jul 10, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 14
Yeah, go with the e2c's. They have GREAT isolation. Before I had the ex71's and they don't isolation all that well. The e2c's isolation is awesome. I haven't heard the er6i's but I was arguing over which one to buy and went with the e2c's. I like the e2c's because I found them more durable, which was an issue going up from the ex71's. Remember, your also given a 2 year warranty with the e2c's and 1 year for the er6i's when you register online.

Jul 11, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 14
Er6i's is my vote. Bassy enough for most music, but clarity actually compares to normal headphones like the HD497. Going from the 497's to the E2C's is going to be a shock (it was for me), as you are going to wonder where all the clarity went. I would say if you only want a "slightly warm sound", the E2C's give you a "too much warm sound and only moderate clarity".

Jul 11, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #10 of 14
the e2c will have least microphonics due the the over-the-ear cable design. i have the er6i and i wear the cable over my ears too, which eliminates the microphonics. the e2c has more bass than the er6i, but with no high-end details. the er6i is less bassy but is very clear and detailed. i use bass boost with the er6i and the bass is there.

Jul 11, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #11 of 14
E2c's all the way. its a shame that you have a money budget however because i highly suggest an upgrade in the Shure line i.e e4c's but only if you have the 200$ to spend (200$ @ headroom []http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/shure/]) i don't suggest E3c's because ... well from personal exp. the 150$ is just not worth it when its not a huge upgrade from the E2c's and the E4c's blow them away.

Jul 11, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #12 of 14
future sonic EM3's are my pick for $90 they are amazing canal phones.

HEAVY BASS
basshead.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #13 of 14
yeah i really want the e4cs, but its easily 3 times over my budget. i could save, but i kinda need them now. the cheapest i can get e4s is like $200 right?

Jul 11, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 14
I think American Techpushers has them for 189 shipped. Don't quote me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back