Canalphones under $200?
Sep 11, 2005 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

z-iron

Head-Fier
I'm looking for comfort... kind of like the ex71's I have now. (since I can wear those for a long time, without my ears hurting) I listen to rock/pop, techno...

But since I am using an NW-HD5... I'm a little worried about the "hiss"... (I can't hear it with the ex71's)
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Sep 11, 2005 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 5
You can try going for either the Shure e4(c) or Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 pro. The e4's can be found for around $190 on avg but a little bit of searching can bring out lower prices. The Super.fi's are generally $250 but you can find it for less with a bit of searching as well.

Sep 11, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 5
I own the super.fi pro's. I don't find them to be amazingly comfortable or uncomfortable, but your results will vary greatly depending on the fit that you get with them. I've also owned Ety ER6s, and the difference in fit is that the Etys go DEEP inside your ear whereas the UEs just sort of rest on the outside of the ear canal. Both are semi-difficult to achieve a seal with, so it takes practice. In my opinion, the Super.Fis are tons of fun to listen to, but I haven't had many chances to compare them to other headphones, so I'll leave that to the people with more money to spend on headphones than me. The sound is rich, full, and musical with lots of full deep bass that makes rock and rap sound amazing. The soundstage is also MUCH more expansive than my Etys, which sound like all the sound is coming from inside your head. Since you listen to techno and rock, I think they would be perfect. They can be found at Gateway for 190 and a few merchants have pricematch policies like Earphone Solutions.

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 5
I think the Super.Fi's would be a good choice in your situation (given that you listen to rock, pop, and techno). If you find they have hiss with your player just use the level attenuator. It'll require a bit more juice and probably shorten the battery life a little but it'll get rid of the hiss if there is any. Similarly, if you were to get the Shure E4 you could use the level attenuator to get rid of a certain degree of noise/hiss in the line. The E4 would be an excellent choice if you listen to a lot of acoustic rock or just want a more detailed presentation and don't mind if there's not tons of bass. Don't get me wrong, I think the E4 offers you a realistic presentation of the bass that's actually there, but a lot of people like boosted bass levels.

Either one is pretty darn comfortable imo, though I find the E4 to be slightly more comfortable.

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by z-iron
I'm looking for comfort... kind of like the ex71's I have now. (since I can wear those for a long time, without my ears hurting) I listen to rock/pop, techno...

But since I am using an NW-HD5... I'm a little worried about the "hiss"... (I can't hear it with the ex71's)
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 pro are the best match with getting all the details of what you want. The question is whether UE pro's or the Shure e4s. These are the two best models around 200. UE's are alittle more but I have seen them for $190 before doing a Froggle search.

Personally people want to have bass and don't want to have to use a headphone amp. So go with the "Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 pro"(more bass/doesn't need amp). Do a search here on Shure e4s or the UE Pros to get more details. Best of luck..

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back