Canalphones/IEMs: switching from X3
May 3, 2008 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tyrdium

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of Crossroads MylarOne X3s. I quite enjoyed them, really. I found them comfortable, and I liked the isolation. Loved 'em. Until the left channel died on me. So, now I need a new set of headphones. I'm leaving for a trip on Friday, and I want to have my new set before then, so anything from Jaben is out of the question. I figured I'd take this opportunity to explore my options, since the build quality on the Crossroads is apparently rather poor. I also have a pair of Marshmallows, but I hate the feel. But they were cheap and I wanted a backup set a while ago.

Anyways. Things that are important to me:

Microphonics. I'll be using these all next year while briskly walking to class, so microphonics are an issue. I never noticed much of an issue with the X3s. Same with the Marshmallows.

Isolation. I need to be able to use these on the subway or in an airplane. Again, never noticed an issue with the X3s or the Marshmallows.

Comfort. I loved the fit of the X3s (medium tip). The Marshmallows with the foam tip, not so much. I can never get a good seal with them, and they're just generally nowhere near as comfortable.

Sound quality. I'd like something reasonably accurate. Again, liked the X3s. I don't need $1000 headphone quality. Which brings me to my last item.

Price. I want to spend under $100, maximum. I'd rather spend more along the lines of $50.

So... really, a set of X3s or comparable with decent build quality. Also, I should mention that I don't want to wear over-the-ear.

Sets I've been looking at (though I'm open to others):
Crossroads X3i (but build quality, shipping time)
Denon C551
Denon C700 (seems like an improvement over the C551, but pricey)
JVC FX66
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 (but over-the-ear)
Audio Technica CK7 (but over-the-ear)

Thoughts? iPhone compatible would be a bit of a plus, but I can always use an adaptor.

May 3, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #2 of 11
get the westone UM1, I have these and they are pretty darn good. they have little extra sparkle though..

May 3, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 11
x2. Cheap? I'd say more of a good value. Even with the group buy, they are $80, and not even sure if that's still in effect. I like them too, especially compared to the others listed.

May 3, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 11
UE3s sound very fun, whilst UM1s sound flatter (I used to own both) Fit wise its one for the UM1 (although you might have to bust the $100 limit a little depending on where you are...) CK7s are decent in build quality and sound fun as well, although the other 2 have somewhat a better high end sparkle (as far as my ears can tell that is....)But for the money, I think the CK7 shouldn't disappoint, nor the UE3

May 3, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. Cheap? I'd say more of a good value. Even with the group buy, they are $80, and not even sure if that's still in effect. I like them too, especially compared to the others listed.

Relatively speaking yes
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheap maybe not, but definitely good value!

May 4, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #10 of 11
Yeah, the C700s definitely look good. The main concern I have with them, though, is the isolation. How do they compare to the X3s? If I'm sitting on the subway, will I be able to hear the train noise through them? How about on an airplane?

May 4, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 11
I went from the X3 to the C700s several months ago, and I can assure you as a regular subway rider the isolation is worse.

Where I'd say the x3s block anywhere from 70-85% of ambient sound, the C700s block maybe 50%, you'll hear the subway fine, and you'll be aware enough of any announcements that you can be cued to turn down the volume if you really want to hear what is being said.

With all that being said however, I haven't felt the need to go back to the X3s, the sound quality more than makes up for what I lost in isolation, and as far as walking I prefer less noise reduction, so the C700s are great since I can hear traffic.

Note: I use Sony tips on either.

P.S.
I guess I should say this since you asked about planes. I opted to go with the X3 for that specific reason on a recent trip, and also because I didn't want to risk losing the more expensive C700s. I readjusted to the sound of the X3 fine, and the extra isolation served me well enough to block out some of the plane noise and a crying baby sitting ahead of me. I wouldn't give it a prize though, I was still tempted to crank the volume to block more sound, but I would've been worse off with the C700s without a doubt in that situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back