Canalphones for someone who doesn't like them?
Jul 11, 2005 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

The Monkey

Monkey See, Monkey DAC
A really sick dud
Hi gang,

I'm thinking about canalphones for a few reasons: 1) travel, 2) wearing in bed, 3) low leakage to the outside world. The problem is that I don't love canalphones for a couple of reasons. I don't like the microphonics and sometimes I find them too isolating; I feel like I can hear my own breathing and it gives me the creeps. That said, I still want to try them out.

So here's what I'm looking for. A very comfortable canalphone that has a warmish sound. I'll be wearing them when I want to relax, so I don't really need a bright sound. My source will be an ipod and when traveling I will not be using an amp. I listen primarily to rock (70%), classical (20%), rap (10%).

Oh yeah, price. One option under $100 and one under $200.

Thanks for helping me out!

Jul 11, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 17
I must always chime in with the $100 canalphone answer: Future Sonics EM3's. Fun phone, great for rock, decent all around sound, and comfortable for hours. At least that's this one mans opinion.

Jul 11, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 17
Until I hit your price points I was going to suggest the UE SuperFi 5 Pros - perhaps you can find someone who was trying out all the new canalphones and is selling used. Here's my good and bad based on your criteria:

Good:
1. The sf5p's seal on the outside of the ear canal. This makes them very comfortable and not as "intrusive" as some other canalphones.
2. The sound isolation from the sf5p's is not as good as other canal phones. (This is a negative for me but you want less.)
3. The sf5p's are definitely warmish. Tight, strong bass that can make the highs seem a bit recessed in comparison.
4. I find the sf5p's very dynamic, providing a lively listen that's very musical - definitely more engaging than analytical.
5. The sf5p's are very efficient. I usually listen with an amp but they still sound quite good without one.
6. I've had no issues with microphonics.

Bad:
1. New we're over your price point.
2. For listening in bed they do stick out quite a bit (see good #1) and wouldn't be comfortable if you sleep on your side.

Jul 11, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillC
Until I hit your price points I was going to suggest the UE SuperFi 5 Pros - perhaps you can find someone who was trying out all the new canalphones and is selling used. Here's my good and bad based on your criteria:

Good:
1. The sf5p's seal on the outside of the ear canal. This makes them very comfortable and not as "instrusive" as some other canalphones.
2. The sound isolation from the sf5p's is not as good as other canal phones. (This is a negative for me but you want less.)
3. The sf5p's are definitely warmish. Tight, strong bass that can make the highs seem a bit recessed in comparison.
4. I find the sf5p's very dynamic, providing a lively listen that's very musical - definitely more engaging than analytical.
5. The sf5p's are very efficient. I usually listen with an amp but they still sound quite good without one.
6. I've had no issues with microphonics.

Bad:
1. New we're over your price point.
2. For listening in bed they do stick out quite a bit (see good #1) and wouldn't be comfortable if you sleep on your side.

WOW, BillC, that is a PERFECT concise description of the Super.fi Pros!! (to my ears, of course) Nice job.
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 17
BillC, thanks for your thoughtful and informative post. I think what I need to do before I hit that price range is figure out whether these things are even right for me to begin with. With that in mind do you have any ~$100 options?

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 17
Seems like you should try a E2C or a EM2 for starters. Buy from a place that allows returns.

Jul 12, 2005 at 2:29 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
BillC, thanks for your thoughtful and informative post. I think what I need to do before I hit that price range is figure out whether these things are even right for me to begin with. With that in mind do you have any ~$100 options?

I haven't listened to anything in that price range so I'm not going to be able to help. Except to say, careful of a false frugality - if you're just going to upgrade anyway it's cheaper to just buy better to begin with...

...can you feel your wallet quiver
eek.gif

Jul 12, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #8 of 17
I always thought the ER6 was comfortable. at least more comfortable than the ER4's. the ER6 doesn't isolate as much and you can help with the microphonics by pulling a behind-the-ear tube thingy off a 6 dollar pair of ear huggers and wrap the chord through it. I tried it when i had a pair and I really liked the improvement.

Bass is lacking.....but thats something you'll have to live with. I do, and I dont mind for occasional listening.

BILL

Jul 14, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #11 of 17
i have a pair of er6i's and theyre perfectly comforatable. i really dont think its an issue of the er6i's themselves; its just the nature of the canalphone comfort to be hit or miss for some people. that said, the flanges are somewhat comfy, but they dont give the best isolation. the foamies however are very comforatble and i often forget i'm wearing them

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Ok, so I'm thinking about the E2c, the E3, and the ER-6i. Any thoughts?

I don't think the ER6i would be the best option. I haven't heard them but I have heard the ER4s and the ER6. My impression of the Etymotic line is that they tend to be on the brighter/thinner side. If you're looking for a warm engaging sound, I can't imagine they'd be right for you.

The E2 would be a perfect under $100 option. They are warm and enjoyable, though they lack the detail provided by higher end options. The only issue you may have here is that, depending upon your ear shape, they may protrude out and be difficult to sleep on if you sleep on your side.

The E3 would also be nice. I've only heard them breifly but they have a warm and enjoyable sound. I think you would enjoy them quite a bit. I haven't slept with these on but I have slept with the E4's. Since the two are basically the same shape, the E3 shouldn't give you any trouble at all.

The E4 might also be a good option, which will come in right at the top of your budget. These things sound incredible. The only downside is that to get a warm sound you'll need to use foamies. Over time, the foamies will cost a bit so if you're working on a tight budget this may not work out all that well for you.

The Super.Fi 5 Pro or Shure E5 sound like the best matches to your listening desires. The 5 Pro being a bit warmer and more musical, but it sticks out pretty far and is thus imperfect for sleeping (unless you're always on your back). The E5 has a much lower profile so it will be more comfortable to sleep with. Either one seals fairly shallow in the canal and should be quite comfortable for someone who is not particularly fond of canal phones. Of course, either of these will blow your budget.

I haven't yet heard any of the offerings from Future Sonics or Westone so I can't comment there.

Good luck, I hope you find something to your liking.
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 11:50 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

The problem is that I don't love canalphones for a couple of reasons [...] sometimes I find them too isolating; I feel like I can hear my own breathing and it gives me the creeps.
[...] I don't really need a bright sound. My source will be an ipod [...]

normally I would strongly recommend the Sharp MD33 ($40) for the <$100 category. if you are not a canalphone-fan they should be fine because they are like "semi-canalphones" (don't go that deep into your ear-canal) and don't isolate as much as the Shure E2c do.

but in combination with an IPod they might sound too bright for you... that's tricky.

however, if you try them, you could expand the budget for your other canalphone to ~$250 which - please correct me if I'm wrong - should definitely give you more options.

Jul 18, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #14 of 17
Thanks everyone for the great responses. I think i will go with the Shure E3s as my first foray into canalphones. I am very tempted by the UEs, but I can't justify the expense when I don't even know if I'll like them. So I plan to order the E3 either today or tomorrow. Unless someone convinces me otherwise...
tongue.gif

Jul 18, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #15 of 17
the shure e3cs, in my opinion, are a wonderful choice if you're willing to step into canalphones. They were my first excellent set of headphones, after all. Some songs from the e3c even match up to my akg 271s. well, thats just my ears and perceptions, but..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back