Canalphones for sensitive ears
Jul 30, 2004 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Aydn

Head-Fier
Hello, I need some advice on which canal phones I should buy with my budget of 150$ total. The canal phones must have an excellent sound isolation because I can no longer turn the volume up(60-70 db max, even in out door situations i.e. bus, train, streets etc.). Im also looking for good detail and good bass as I've adjusted to the grado house sound.

The only reference canal phone I have are the Sony EX-71s and they isolated around 50% of the outside sound and I want the future phones to have 75%+ isolating if that's possible.

Also, just a question if it would be wise for myself with damaged ears to have canal phones in the first place, my doctor said there's nothing anything can be done to heal damaged ears except rest and no loud sounds. He also said there's no need to baby my ears if Im not feeling pain, discomfort or the after effects of loud music. Would canal phones cross these advisories?

Jul 30, 2004 at 8:25 AM Post #2 of 3
I think "damage" should be better qualified: is the damage to your ear canal or to your inner ear? If it's to your canals, then you probably don't want to have canalphones. In any case, you should check with your doctor.

As for phones within that budget range, here are your options:
er-6 (or wait for the er-6i) - $100 off idealsound
e2c or e3c (can be within your budget).
however, the er-4p/s are available at around 188 dollars off idealsound and probably offer the best sound (debatable, of course).

and all of these canalphones offer far more isolation than the sony 71LP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back