Canal phones - how to get the sounds outside my head?
May 21, 2005 at 7:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Terminus

New Head-Fier
I have ER-4p's
etysmile.gif
and absolutely love them. I finally got a decent source for them (not great, but decent), a new iPod mini and am now able to hear enough imaging and bass to reallize just how much the music stays in your head (what is that kickdrum doing in there?
biggrin.gif
)

So, my question is, is this an inevitable artifact of canal phones, or do some not evidence that? These will still be my airplane headset, but now I'm thinking about other times.

What should I look at in the $200 range that is lightweight
280smile.gif
with good full sound (sound filled out with solid bass, not thumping bass) and a wide apparent soundstage?

What price if I want some surround ability?

Thanks

May 21, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by grox
I haven't used canalphones but I don't really think you can move the soundstage from inside to outside your head. The same is true for most headphones AFAIK.

This is a logical statement and true insofar as "normal" headphone use is concerned, but it's becoming less and less true as more and more products based on research into the HRTF (Head Related Transfer Function) make it to market.

This is the Information Age (which replaced the popular but disappointing Age of Anxiety), so it won't be a surprise to discover that given enough money and computing power you can turn any recording into basically a binaural recording of greater or lesser 3Dness, which means that someday soon you'll be able to plug your canalphones into a little widget that will make space bloom all around your head. You heard it here first, or close to it.

May 21, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 11
I'll make a second recomendation for the xinfeed. I got one a few months back, and it has made a world of difference.

I originally was curious to try a good crossfeed with my etys, and for the
price, I figured why not... I didn't understand what people meant by listening
fatigue at the time. Then I got this little puppy, and wow. I don't notice it
with all recordings, but it helps with a pretty large number of them.
for $25 it's definitely worth the investment.

The whole soundstage shifts, but not by too much. It definitely makes the music easier to listen to.

good luck
-Jeff

May 21, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
You heard it here first, or close to it.

I'll believe it when I hear it.

Anyway, back to the topic - I find that good crossfeed (I prefer HeadRoom's implementation. Xin's and Meier's are just too subtle to me) actually narrows the soundstage - makes it more "in your head" - but it's a lot more coherent. It sounds more natural to me. Well, as natural as someone singing directly in your brain can sound.

Best regards,

-Jason

May 21, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 11
Xin says on the website, that his version
is based on meijers implementation. I'll agree that it's quite
subtle, and suprised me when I noticed a difference.

I tried to build PinkFloyds version, but it didn't turn out so well.
I think my DIY work, needs a bit more practice. Also needed an amp
to go with it, and I don't have one (currently).

If you've got a decent sound setup on your computer you could
use FooBar crossfeed to get a feel for it, and see if you like it.

I had too much static on my sound card for my etys to handle
so figured $25 was worth the chance....

On another note, can anybody say how the porta corda II crossfeed compares
to the xinfeed? I've thought about getting one, but I don't NEED an amp yet
so I'm still holding off.

-Jeff

May 21, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I find that good crossfeed (I prefer HeadRoom's implementation. Xin's and Meier's are just too subtle to me) actually narrows the soundstage - makes it more "in your head" - but it's a lot more coherent.

ding ding ding ding! that is absolutely correct. regarding the various implementations, i like all 3, though i think Xin's the most subtle.

May 21, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffS
On another note, can anybody say how the porta corda II crossfeed compares
to the xinfeed? I've thought about getting one, but I don't NEED an amp yet
so I'm still holding off.

-Jeff

i've only heard the Crossfeed on my Supermini and the crossfeed on the Corda HA-1 MkII i used to own. the Supermini's crossfeed, which i believe is the same as the Xinfeed, is subtler than the step one Meier crossfeed, which is what the Porta Corda uses. the advantage of the Xin crossfeed is that it has less effect on the overall tone of the music, but the Meier crossfeed gives more..well, crossfeed, but to the detriment of the bass. i hope that makes sense, it's a little convoluted
blink.gif

May 25, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I'll believe it when I hear it.

Skepticism is healthy.

Interested headfiers might want to search this forum for keywords hearo, sensaura, dolby headphone and other attempts. There's a handy page of links from one of our own HeadFiers here. The consensus seems to be that it's not ready for prime time. Yet.

Returning to the original topic: If the OP merely wants headphones that have a good "headstage", which is to say, sound that takes a step outside the head without becoming panoramic, then the usual favorites can be safely recommended. In order of increasing price: Sennheiser PX-100, Grado SR-60 and SR-80, and the refurbished Sennheiser HD-600 for $180, among others. Since part of the "closed-in" effect is related to the headphones' size and weight, perhaps the PX-100 might be optimum in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back