Canal Phones and Sore Throats?
Jul 30, 2004 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

vranswer

1000+ Head-Fier
Just curious, anyone else develop minor sore throat-like symptoms after extended use of canal phones? Since the ear canal and throat are interconnected (via the eustachian tube), I'm wondering if that's what's happening. I have a lot of experience with problems in the upper-respiratory area, living in allergy-rich Texas, and I'm quick to recognize early trouble.

Right now I'm just aware of minor irritation and will obviously discontinue using the phones for a while. Could actually be simply a sore throat since the weather changed in the last few days, so that's why I wanted to see if anyone else has encountered anything similar.

Jul 30, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 25
Yesterday I wore my E5s on and off for about sixteen hours. My ear is a little sensitive on the left side where the hard acrylic rests in my ear but other than that, no problems.

Jul 30, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 25
i've used canals for a 6hr airplane journey before and no, nothing.
tongue.gif

Jul 30, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 25
Dizziness, headaches, etc. were all problems I had the first week or two.

Using the foamies helped a lot.

Jul 30, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 25
Hmm.. I had some problem with that... I think it's the sensitivity of the inner ear canal.. because regardless of how well canalphones are made, you're inserting into something into your ear that your ear doesn't necessarily like. In more sensitive ears, it can probably cause some irritation if you wear them a lot.

Even though I love canalphones, it's actually a problem that I've had with about every canalphone, particularly my left ear. The problem flares up once in a while, but I just take a break from it and it goes away.

Nothing really helped, no universal fits, no custom IEM's really ever completely eliminates the once-in-a-blue moon flare-up... although custom IEM's really do the best out of all of them.

Jul 30, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 25
I think in some people, the irritation causes your body to react like as if you've got a inner ear infection, which you don't. Your body's lymph nodes and what not swells up as a result of it or something.

Jul 31, 2004 at 12:05 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBishop
That's what you get for electing the least environmentally conscience president in our country's history as your governor.

(ignores inappropriate political aside)..I think Lindrone's "diagnosis" is probably pretty close. An irritation in this region of the ENT system rarely remains localized as I've come to learn. Just wondered if anyone else's experience was similar. (the entire country elected GWB, BTW)

Jul 31, 2004 at 11:08 AM Post #11 of 25
To keep things on topic: I've been meaning for months to post a thread like this, but have felt too anatomically freakish to admit it.

Yeah, I get the sore throat symptoms - much more from the tri-flanges, due to the pressure they exert. Foamies don't cause much of a problem.

My completely untrained and unqualified medical opinion is that it has more to do with the pressure and less with irritation. There seems to be a direct relation in my case, and I can achieve a sore throat in minutes if I use the tri-flanges (but only if I push 'em in far/hard enough to get a seal), but can sit for hours with the foamies with no problem. (Or the flanges without a good seal and no pressure.)

[Oh, and please keep the politics OUT of the equipment forums. We care about your opinions, but especially your opinions about audio.
etysmile.gif
]

Jul 31, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBishop
Uhhhh, my post had nothing to do with my personal politics. It was a joke. Sorry about your sore throats. I'll keep humor off the forums from now on.

Okay, now I understand why you said the other thing.

Aug 1, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #14 of 25
Ummm...

Maybe your problem is that the canal phones isolate outside noise so much, and therefore when you sing along with your music you start doing it too loudly?

Just a thought
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back