Canal phone Shootout
Jul 5, 2005 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Little J040

1000+ Head-Fier
What is people's general feelings about their favorite Canal phone, This includes Shure, Etymotic, Westone, Super.fi.Pro, and what other high end canal phones we head-fiers like!

Jul 5, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 11
shure e3c, fun and engaging with a nice forward presentation and decent detail. great for blocking out 130db of london underground.

Jul 5, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 11
What about the westone's And Super.fi.pros anyone?

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040
What about the westone's And Super.fi.pros anyone?

See my two previous posts regarding both of these canalphones!

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 11
I guess I was to rate them in value I put

er6i
e4c
ER-4
e5

In sound quality
e5 (best bass response athough weak mid and bloated bass)
e4 (Less bass better mid and weak highs as all shures do)
er6i (Even less bass better mids and highs)
er-4 (unamped)

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 11
I'm taking it that you prefer your UE-10's over those 4 though?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 11
Well yea, I prefer the UE-10s. But that goes without saying.

I don't have the best hearing (average I would say) nor the best set up(ipod and lineout SMv3). But to me the difference between the E5s and the UE-10s was slight. Noticeable difference and added resolution. Along with the bass not being as bloated. But I found E5s sounded so much better with the SMv3. That was the amazing part for me. The addition of the amp made the E5s a high end phone. I wish I had done is sooner.

The UE-10s well that is like icing on the cake. They do all the same stuff to give you a high end sound and more. But once you reach a high sound IMHO small increases in performance become major. UE-10s are mold to fit. Which at first was part of the reason I handle off on getting them. But the fit is amazing, and isolution to another level. Even compared to Shures or Ety’s

edit..
westone's UM2’s are very similar to Shures E5s
UM3’s custom molds and pronounced Mid range

UE’s other non-custom lines, I don’t know to much about..

Jul 5, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 11
I am now giving a slight nod to the sensaphonics. The ue10 always had better highs and detail than the sensas but using the treble boost on the ipod fixes this. It sounds a little bright unamped but with the SR-71 the bass becomes more powerful balancing out the sound.

The sensas just do the bass better than the ue10. They have better punch, rhythm, and texture. The ue10 bass just doesn't sound as detailed as the sensas. They also have thinner lower-mids lacking the warmth and substance of the sensas.

It's taken over 6 months of listening to both to finally switch choices. I gave up on the sensas before because of the highend rolloff that cause a slightly dull sound to them. The ue10 have a nice crisp sound. But now I realize with the treble boost, the sensa sound more natural too me and have a more enjoyable sound than the ue10.

Jul 5, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 11
I find it so hard to be able to actually sit down and A\B different canal phones! I can't stand listening to the same song twice lol, So I may never know why my favorite is!!

Jul 5, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 11
I would like to throw the EM3's into the mix i have heard a few shures and ety's but the Future sonic EM3's are my style HEAVY bass thats what i like. If you want clarity get the etys. Shures are a bit of both

Users who are viewing this thread

Back