Canadians' Rant Thread: Team Canada Chokes!
Feb 23, 2006 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

applebook

1000+ Head-Fier
I blame the management team for putting together a club that includes so many washed up veterans who are having mediocre NHL seasons. Pronger was arguably the worst player in the entire Olympics, is not fully healthy, and has had a poor year so far in Edmonton. He, along with a whole bunch of other players should never have been on this club. Leaving off talented, young, healthy, and hot players who are having great seasons is just plain mismanagement, and I single out Wayne for this debacle and huge embarrassment (losing 3 out of 4 games by shut-out).
mad.gif

Anyone else want to rant?

Feb 23, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 30
Yes, we should have sent the real team canada instead of the toronto maple leafs. (yes I'm a toronto fan)

The team played EXACTLY like my buds. Awful. Somehow we became allergic to shooting the damn puck on the net. That's the best play in all of hockey, works everytime! but nooooo, everyone's gotta pull their allstar game gretzky wannabe impressions.

We had a great group of players but a piss poor team. Oh well.

Feb 23, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #5 of 30
The thought process for team selection probably went something like this:

"hey, we got a bunch of players who are going to retire soon and won't be around for the next Olympics..."
"yeah, got Pronger, Sakic's probably done in a couple years, McCabe probably is too, wow, we got a lot of over 30's here..."
"for sure, I think we should put them all on the team so they can retire with a gold medal..."
"yeah, definitely, sounds like a plan!"
"Ok, let's do it!"

And let's not even start on Coach Quinn, I'd get banned here if I said what I really feel about him.

Feb 23, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 30
Going through the list of washed up or soon to be washed up guys on that squad, and then looking at people like staal.... makes me cry a little inside

Feb 23, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
The thought process for team selection probably went something like this:

"hey, we got a bunch of players who are going to retire soon and won't be around for the next Olympics..."
"yeah, got Pronger, Sakic's probably done in a couple years, McCabe probably is too, wow, we got a lot of over 30's here..."
"for sure, I think we should put them all on the team so they can retire with a gold medal..."
"yeah, definitely, sounds like a plan!"
"Ok, let's do it!"

And let's not even start on Coach Quinn, I'd get banned here if I said what I really feel about him.

But on the brighter side, Finland is doing better than we thought they would... but don't you worry, they'll screw up at the end. They always do. You can set your watch by that.

And why am I replying in this thread? Because I had to say that I love the quote in your signature. Mythbusters rule! \||/
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #8 of 30
I want so badly to defend Team Canada, but I just can't. I wouldn't go as far as to say that they choked...even in the games they lost they looked ok and had some chances, but were just outplayed. The game today against Russia was tense but Bertuzzi took a penalty and that's all she wrote.

I feel bad for Martin Brodeur...he stood on his head and wasn't given any sort of a lead to work with. Agreed though that Pronger was a dud, Nash was useless, and Canada ran into hot goalies non stop. I mean realistically the Swiss should have been steam rolled. We had something like 50 shots and not a goal to show for it...anyway, I wouldn't blame Gretzky, he put together a decent team on paper who just didn't look like a team on the ice.

I think we were missing leadership. Having no Lemieux, no Yzerman, and even someone like Paul Kariya...they were all there last time and not having someone like Mario Lemieux on the ice is a huge loss.

Here's looking forward to Vancouver...

btw plainsong...Finland is looking like the team to beat...

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
But on the brighter side, Finland is doing better than we thought they would... but don't you worry, they'll screw up at the end. They always do. You can set your watch by that.

No they won't. This is the one. It's a tooth for a tooth, and Selänne lost three against USA. Six wins in a row now, going for eight. Enter the Lions.

Feb 24, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #12 of 30
Canucks perspective: wow did we get screwed by the olympics...Ohlund out for a couple weeks and Salo out indefinitely? CRAP...

We're still missing Jovo...now our top defenders are Allen, McCarthy, and Bieksa? This isn't fair!!!
mad.gif

No backup goalie and missing 3 top D men...goodbye playoff chances.

Feb 24, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #13 of 30
Tell me about it...I'm a canucks fan aswell, and it looks like we'll be in a bit of trouble. As far as Cloutier is concerned, I never had a lot of faith in him anyway, and never really saw him as a #1 goaltender. Not that Auld is the better goalie, just that I'd like to have a real #1 in net. Say Luongo maybe? lol

Feb 24, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #14 of 30
Downside: Team Canada loses
Upside: Janet Gretsky wins $50.

/shamelessly stolen from fark.com

Feb 24, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
Tell me about it...I'm a canucks fan aswell, and it looks like we'll be in a bit of trouble. As far as Cloutier is concerned, I never had a lot of faith in him anyway, and never really saw him as a #1 goaltender. Not that Auld is the better goalie, just that I'd like to have a real #1 in net. Say Luongo maybe? lol

Bertuzzi just needs to leave the Canucks. The sooner he's out of the NHL the better
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back