Canadian Head-Fi'ers counting
Feb 11, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #76 of 301
welcome to head-fi, filbert96 ... & sorry about both our wallets
dt880smile.png

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #77 of 301
  Hi guys! I'm new to Head-Fi  and to headphone listening but have been into two channel stereo for years.  I live just outside of Toronto in Kitchener.  It's been about a couple of months since I bought my first set of cans but I am really appreciating what they can do.  Originally I bought them to set up my turntable properly but have started listening to them more and more.   Great fun!

So what did you buy?

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #78 of 301
Lol! Yes my wallet keeps getting emptied.  A dealer offered me a great price on some demo Grado rs-1000 that I couldn't resist. I'm running it through an Antique Sound Labs one off 2a3 OTL amp which never went into production.   The sound is excellent.  I've also picked up some used sr-80's and am trying to modify them with wood cups and better cable and see if I can get close to the rs 1000's.  We'll see.

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #79 of 301
  Lol! Yes my wallet keeps getting emptied.  A dealer offered me a great price on some demo Grado rs-1000 that I couldn't resist. I'm running it through an Antique Sound Labs one off 2a3 OTL amp which never went into production.   The sound is excellent.  I've also picked up some used sr-80's and am trying to modify them with wood cups and better cable and see if I can get close to the rs 1000's.  We'll see.

Where you getting the cups?

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #80 of 301

A fellow Head-fier had a used pair up last week.  Sorry 7keys, I was looking at your ads but the used pair with the price were hard to pass up.  I would like some suggestions on possible driver and cable upgrades if anyone wants to chime in.  I have been looking at Take 5 Audio and Gene has recommended some cables for the upgrade but I haven't bought yet

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #81 of 301

A fellow Head-fier had a used pair up last week.  Sorry 7keys, I was looking at your ads but the used pair with the price were hard to pass up.  I would like some suggestions on possible driver and cable upgrades if anyone wants to chime in.  I have been looking at Take 5 Audio and Gene has recommended some cables for the upgrade but I haven't bought yet

IMO one of the best drivers to put in a wood cup is the Sennheiser PX100 . Joedoe and I liked this combo so much we put a pair together and sent it out to members to give it a try.
Here's the tour thread, give it a look.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/728069/woodied-sennheiser-aka-senngrado-tour-thread

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #85 of 301
Hey fellow Canadians, I'm from just outside Vancouver B.C.
Following this thread now
for $200 I would look into IEM, not sure which, but for myself they get the most use.
mine are Westone UM2, I have had them for 9 years and they have held up great.
I also have a set of Grado RS1i and an audioengine Dac I play through an apple airport express.

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #86 of 301
Hello All.. Mississauga guy here.. grew up (and now work) in Toronto.. my gear is in my signature and I have lots of pictures in my gallery. Have gone through a lot of stuff over the past 3 years but finally landed on my end game.  Just for Schiit's and giggles, I ordered a Schiit Vali for my HE400i tonight.

For $200: IEM~ Westone W10 or Shure SE215 & for Headphones~ Sennheiser HD25 series or vModa XS depending on your tastes. Canuck Audio Mart is your friend :)

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #88 of 301
Hello Canada! 
Formally from victoria BC, now living in Vancouver. Unfortunatly all my gear is still in vic but I have the: AKG K240, AKG K612, AKG K340, AKG K7XX, Beyerdynamic DT770, Sony MDR 7506, Hifiman HE500.

For $200 canadian I would pickup an AKG K340 if I saw one (mine cost me $80 and its in some ways far superior to the HE500), or a used dacmagic or a Little Dot tube amp. 

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #89 of 301
I've had two K340's before. Such a strange headphone... very difficult to get a sense of the sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back