Nov 7, 2005 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

vyusseem

New Head-Fier
Hi, please help me to decide.

HD497 are 110$ on ecost
SR60 are 150$ on audioshop.on.ca
MS1 are 140$ on alessandro

All shipped with taxes included.

Before I've seen HD497 my first priority was MS1, but I've seen alot of good reviews here on HD497.

I have HD437 and I like them, but after audiotioning SR60 I find 437 little dull.

I listen mostly to Jazz/Acoustic and some Rock.

Nov 8, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 43
Are you sure the MS-1 pricing is right? I thoguht they were $99US shipped ANYWHERE (so like $120 CDN).

Also please don't pay retail for SR-60's. You can get them on the forums for half that price, assuming you're comfortable with that.

I'd say you should first do some research on grado vs sennheiser sound. I think the sound signature makes much more of a difference than between the SR-60's and MS-1's. Past that, it's just a matter of how much money you want to burn. The better the model number, the better you're going to get, but keep in mind doubling the price isn't going to double the sound quality.

If you just want a straight answer, though, based on what you've said alone, I'd say go for the HD497s. The price jump from them to MS-1's is WAY too big if you don't have a strong preference.

Nov 8, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 43
I would support the sponsers on this site like Todd as opposed to supporting local Canadian companies that are just ripping you off.

I just bought a pair of Grado 80's for 70 dollars shipped to my door in perfect condition. If I were to do it again, perhaps I would have bought them from Todd. For sure, I will go that route on my next upgrade path more than likely.

LIP

Nov 8, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
Can't believe the SR60's are that high. Have you checked with TTVJ to see if he ships to Canada, and for how much. At current exchange, should be $80 CDN or less.

At that, they (SR60's) are the ones I would take.

Grado's are very expensive in Canada. In fact a lot of headphones are very expensive in Canada - much more than the conversion rate + shipping. Grado won't allow it's official US dealers to sell directly to Canadians - which is unfortunate.

Nov 8, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz
Grado's are very expensive in Canada. In fact a lot of headphones are very expensive in Canada - much more than the conversion rate + shipping. Grado won't allow it's official US dealers to sell directly to Canadians - which is unfortunate.

actually, grado allows TTVJ to ship to canada.

Nov 8, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #8 of 43
I dont know where you are in Canada, but here in T.O. you can get brand new SR-60's for $109 before taxes (Home of the Audiophile).

Nov 8, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick
actually, grado allows TTVJ to ship to canada.

Hmm - I didn't know that.
smily_headphones1.gif
That is something I will have to investigate, thanks sonick!

MasZarky- where is home of the audiophile located in Toronto? I live in Vancouver, but my parents live in Toronto.

Nov 8, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #10 of 43
I have to thank BigBadWolf for letting me know about it. Heres a quote from him from which I found it no problem:

"It's actually across Steeles (at Yonge & Steeles), following the exit lane from Canadian Tire through the light, you'll find a plaza on the north side of Steeles. If you go to the end-right side of that plaza, you'll find it! Address is 100 Steeles Avenue West."

They only carry VERY high end stuff & no Sennheiser too!

Nov 8, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #11 of 43
There's a place that sells high end headphones at Yonge and Steeles? Why has no one told me about it? I live 5 minutes away.

So it's on the west side of Yonge, north of Steeles? Where is it relative to Tru-tone?

Nov 8, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #12 of 43
Its actually on Steeles, west from Taco bell on Yonge. There is a Swiss Chalet in the same plaza right across from Centerpoint.

Nov 8, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #13 of 43
I love this place!

I didn't mentioned it, but all prices are in Canadian Dollars, shipped, with brokerage fees and including all canadian taxes (15% here in Ontario).
Example MS-1:
99$ * 1.18 (Canadian dollar) * 1.15 (it's ontario tax) + 5 (USPS/CanadaPost brokerage) = 139.34

MasZakrY (and also BigBadWolf!), thank you very much - this place on Yonge & Steeles is 15 minutes from where I live! But for extra 14 CAD I better get MS-1 than SR60, is it true?

On the plus side of 497 is probably noise leakage issue (I assume much less then Grado/MS-1 - I don't plan to use it outside of my house but anyway) and price (1/2).
On the plus side of MS-1 is - what? As I mentioned I really liked the sound of SR60, but cant find 497.I also got OK from my wife to spend the money on MS-1
eggosmile.gif
!

More opinions guys?

Nov 8, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #15 of 43
I got the sr-80 from natural sound in toronto for $150 (Queen St, not sure exactly where). I auditioned both the 60 and 80 and prefered the 80's by far.

He did give me %20 off though
icon10.gif
maybe he'll do the same for u. The funny thing is, he told me he sells like 10 pairs a week
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back