Can ZIP compress lossless?
Jun 12, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

What would be an example of a lossy archive format?

you could use 320kbps for archival - but yeah, the name "archiver" for something lossy is suboptimal. "algorithm" would match much better in my post above

Jun 12, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by balou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, but this is completely bogus.
There are lossy archivers, which omit information and make a file always smaller.
And there are lossless archivers/archive formats. The most known example is Zip.
As the name implies, Zip files are NOT lossy. No file loses even the tiniest bit of information.
But, the point is: Zip files don't make every file smaller. Your favorite collection of white noises, for example, will most likely expand in size. But most sound recordings, namely the ones we call "music", have some inner structure. Compress a sine wave with zip, and you will achieve impressive compression results - because it's far away from noise, and can thus be easily 'described' in a zip file.

This was quite a simple explanation of lossless data compression - if somebody is interested, I can describe the workings of the zip algorithm much more in depth

Umm, no. Notice I used the word archiver, not compressor. There are plenty of compression algorithms that are lossy. They, by definition, are not archivers.

Jun 12, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't PCM considered uncompressed?

Yes, it's uncompressed. I think we got tangled up here.. PCM is uncompressed but for ease of argument it was labeled "lossless" in this context.

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #24 of 24
spongezone: big sorry to you. I messed up the translations of lossless and lossy in my head ..... yeah... I should be sure I don't mess up translations of english words before I post
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back