Can you work with headphones?
Mar 5, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #16 of 29
I try to listen to music at work, but, as I'm a Program Manager, my staff and my counterparts in other departments stop by my desk many times a day, so I rarely get to listen to a full song!

But, when I'm doing menial tasks like status reports, forecasts, or other crap like that, I tend to pull a George Costanza and look like I'm really concentrating and/or upset - then people generally back off and I get to listen to a whole lot more!

Since I wear IEM's, some people don't know that I'm listening to anything and start in with their question/comment. When I finally see them, I pause my iPod, pull the IEM's out and ask "what?". I know that's annoying to whomever is at my desk, but what are you going to do?

I started wearing my UE Super.fi 5EB's at work so people can see that I've got earphones in -- those suckers are HUGE!
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #17 of 29
As I'm working in a big office, my portapros help me to suppress my collegue's babble. Thus they help me to concentrate, even with difficult duties like translating or evaluating. "Cafe del Mar" at very low volume is perfect for such duties.

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #18 of 29
I can do homework with music playing from my speakers but the detail from my er6i's is too much for me to concentrate on work and listening to my music.
etysmile.gif

[edit]The agressive HD-25-SP's are gonna be way too good for me to work with. Can't stop headbanging... But atleast they won't fall off my head.
smily_headphones1.gif
[/edit]

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #19 of 29
For me it highly depends on the music.

Listening to Opeth's Damnation and I can do my work and just listen for hours, its pretty easy. But if I listen to something like Opeth's Still Life then it takes me from my work.

I usually get about 3 hours of listening at my shop, during the wee hours of the morning no one comes in or calls, but around lunch time I'm busy like crazy, and then the closer I get to 5pm it slows down and then after 5pm till 6pm I'm really busy again.

Most of the time I listen to slower progressive music while working.

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #20 of 29
I can work with music playing, but it's more distracting and I end up dividing my attention between the work and the music; I usually prefer not to do it.

The exception is posting on head-fi while listening, but that's a lot more play than work
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #21 of 29
I play shinny (hockey) with my x5 blasting through akg 26 ps

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #22 of 29
I can't do anything that requires even a small amount of brain power with headphones on, it's very distracting. Even with music on low with speakers, it is too disjointed an experience and not worth the effort. Now if the activity is purely physical (washing the car, etc.) then having good rock music or talk radio on is great.

Mar 5, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2
I guess you could say I have the opposite problem.

I wear my headphones at work and find that I have no problem concentrating on the task at hand, but often realize that I never really heard the song I just listened to. In other words, the work distracts me from the music.

same here

Mar 5, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #25 of 29
Would listening to Tool help me do my Calculus BC homework?

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:45 AM Post #27 of 29
In high school or college, I couldn't listen to music while doing homework...it just distracted me way too much. My mind would want to listen to the music more than doing the task at hand.

My job now calls for a lot of creativity (writing), and I constantly have my headphones on. I find that music helps me concentrate more...gets the creative juices flowing. Of course, once in a while a song or two (more often more) would come up and I end up devoting more attention to it rather than to my work. But in the end, my productivity level isn't hampered by the music...a surprising 180 from my school days (thankfully!).

Mar 6, 2006 at 11:49 AM Post #29 of 29
If I couldn't listen to music at work, I wouldn't have ever bothered to join head-fi. I simply don't listen to music very often at home, and if I am, it's certainly not with headphones.

However since my job is to answer the phone, and then dial into peoples lab systems and work on their problem, I have to pull my headphones off and put them back on fairly often. This made the KSC-75's in their stock configuration pretty much impossible. That ear clip just annoyed me when I had to pull it off and put it back on. I've since modified them by pulling off the ear clips and putting them on an old cheap walkman over-the-head wire. It works quite well. Anyway, I digress.

Yes, I can concentrate with them on too, however I never used them in college. When doing homework, it would distract me from reading. But now when I'm trying to troubleshoot a system problem or an error there is no problem.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back