Can you tell the difference between: FLAC + MP3 + WAV ?
Sep 20, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #46 of 73

Quote:
Then you're probably ripping the files wrong, or you're not applying the equalization properly. Ripped properly, the FLAC will be bit-for-bit the same as the CD during playback.

I use the compression level 8 (best), there is no other setting on my software to change.

I also remaster using a 20 band Eq. and ensure that I don't clip by using the meters and finally the diagnostics on AACS5.5. I always remaster using the headphones I will be listening with on my PSP, since using other headphones will defile any adjustments I made to the Eq.

Remember the purpose of using an Eq in the first place is to adjust to your ears any thing that sounds to quiet in relativity to all of the other frequencies. Basically I make the highs a bit stronger cut the lower mids a tiny bit (3 or 4 Db) and bring the bass levels up a bit as well. This makes up for the shortcomings of my phones and also my ears, since my hearing sensitivity drops off in the higher freq.  by about 6 Db or so depending on the particular freq.   

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #47 of 73

Quote:
I use the compression level 8 (best), there is no other setting on my software to change.

I also remaster using a 20 band Eq. and ensure that I don't clip by using the meters and finally the diagnostics on AACS5.5. I always remaster using the headphones I will be listening with on my PSP, since using other headphones will defile any adjustments I made to the Eq.

Remember the purpose of using an Eq in the first place is to adjust to your ears any thing that sounds to quiet in relativity to all of the other frequencies. Basically I make the highs a bit stronger cut the lower mids a tiny bit (3 or 4 Db) and bring the bass levels up a bit as well. This makes up for the shortcomings of my phones and also my ears, since my hearing sensitivity drops off in the higher freq.  by about 6 Db or so depending on the particular freq.   

The creators of the FLAC codec run each version through a comprehensive set of tests to ensure it is bit perfect under all conceivable circumstances. Any differences you hear must be placed down to expectation bias and the like - the data is completely identical.

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #48 of 73

Quote:
The creators of the FLAC codec run each version through a comprehensive set of tests to ensure it is bit perfect under all conceivable circumstances. Any differences you hear must be placed down to expectation bias and the like - the data is completely identical.

I think you are correct sir, I just re ripped a Soundgarden CD and checked the box "After encoding check written data" and my results were different this time. I also ripped at a slower speed at 8x instead of 14x. I wonder if that also played a role in the first experiment. The sine waves did appear the same on several time points, as well as on the spectrum analyzer. I will have to re experiment and see if Adobe Audition treats the different file types the same when you apply Eq and a VST like iZotope Ozone 4. Very interesting.

I need to get a screen capture so I can post some results.

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #51 of 73

Quote:
@Megaohmz: You should probably look up AccurateRip (http://accuraterip.com).

It's basically an online database of checksums, and you can compare the tracks you rip to them to make sure there are no errors.
I think it works with dbPowerAmp, too.

Cool thanks, I'll check it out. BTW do you use Adobe Audition CS5.5 at all. I am trying to find people who use it for audio remastering. If you don't, PM me and I'll tell you how to get it.

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #53 of 73
Quote:
Yes there is!  One of the few things that I am sure is not a placebo effect. 

There are differences between MP3 and FLAC, but did you actually do an ABX test to see if what you're hearing is placebo or not? Not everyone can hear the differences, and not everyone can do it consistently.

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #54 of 73
I have been testing ever since I got hook late last year.  My experience with a variety of setups is somewhat limited compared to the majority, but the differences are noticeable to me.  Now I will say I have heard some recordings in multiple formats that see little to no change. I can only attribute that to original source lacking.  

Quote:

There are differences between MP3 and FLAC, but did you actually do an ABX test to see if what you're hearing is placebo or not? Not everyone can hear the differences, and not everyone can do it consistently.

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #55 of 73
i have a/b'd 320 mp3 and wav for fun and curiousity a decent amount of times.  I have always picked the wav over the 320 almost every time, but i really had to focus.  If i only listened to them once, i would guess like 7 or 8 out of 10, if i a/b'd them 2 or 3 times i almost could do it every time.  

It sounds more "fuller" , but it is the smallest change in sound i can think of.  Soooo small.  I get tired from the amount of focus in listening.

Buying a silver cable over a stock cable for Ultrasone Pro 900s was way bigger. (Some people don't believe in cables)

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #56 of 73
FLAC and WAVE sound the same. MP3 degraded slightly.

Oct 14, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #57 of 73
I can notice a difference between FLAC and low bitrate MP3s but VBR V0 and 320 CBR sound good enough for me tbh. Especially since I listen to digital music more than anything else, so there's less instrumental separation to worry about. That said, I like to download my Jazz in lossless for home listening.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #58 of 73
I like to listen to everything in FLAC for the sense of superiority it gives, and if I did a blind test I would probably not come to a statistically significant conclusion. I think the difference between FLAC and mp3 320 can mostly be attributed to a psychological placebo effect, HOWEVER, I think it actually does become apparent when I'm playing it moderately loudly on my 5.1 home theater setup. The frequencies that get divvied up by the receiver to go through each channel sound fuller through a FLAC. I think? =P

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #59 of 73
For me, the difference between 128kbps and 320kpbs is very noticeable.  The difference between 320kbps and V0 VBR is almost negligible.

I can however tell the difference between 320 and FLAC or a CD almost every time and have done blind testing with a few different setups.  The difference is often but not always the resolution, it depends on the type of recording.  I also notice that FLAC files tend to sound "richer" and more analogue than MP3.  Mp3's always sound more sampled.

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #60 of 73
Quote:
For me, the difference between 128kbps and 320kpbs is very noticeable.  The difference between 320kbps and V0 VBR is almost negligible.

I can however tell the difference between 320 and FLAC or a CD almost every time and have done blind testing with a few different setups.  The difference is often but not always the resolution, it depends on the type of recording.  I also notice that FLAC files tend to sound "richer" and more analogue than MP3.  Mp3's always sound more sampled.

Do you have some of your blind test results handy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back