Can you suggest a first DAC/headphone amp?
Apr 23, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #32 of 46
Well, 300 quid, really. Also, make sure that the A30 is PRO and not regular, as the power differences are large. You will need this cable to free up your RCA-outs for your Audioengine A5+:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Balanced-Adapter-Compatible-PHA-2A-Digital/dp/B094JCBLXR/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1I8MAMUZD2E5R&keywords=4.4mm+to+dual+xlr&qid=1650648654&sprefix=4.4mm+to+dual+xl,aps,264&sr=8-2

...and as I have already said:
Question: both DAC and amp have 4.4mm headphone jacks. Which one do I plug my 'phones into?

Apr 23, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #33 of 46
Question: both DAC and amp have 4.4mm headphone jacks. Which one do I plug my 'phones into?

Make sure that the DAC you get is the Zen DAC Signature V2, as it is a much more discrete DAC than the regular model with a couple of upgraded parts, plus you don't need TRUE BASS with classical music, anyways.

Apr 23, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #34 of 46
Make sure that the DAC you get is the Zen DAC Signature V2, as it is a much more discrete DAC than the regular model with a couple of upgraded parts, plus you don't need TRUE BASS with classical music, anyways.
I've got the Signature, and A30 pro in my basket. When I get the equipment, into which unit do I plug my headphones into? Does it matter?

Apr 23, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #35 of 46
I've got the Signature, and A30 pro in my basket. When I get the equipment, into which unit do I plug my headphones into? Does it matter?

Oh, you meant the 4.4mm out in the back. NO NOT plug the HD820 into the Zen dac Signature V2 outputs. Rather, just plug the HD820 into the A30 Pro’s FRONT outputs, which are headphone outputs.

May 18, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #37 of 46
Yeah good call. Not trying to dissuade you or anything. Something about the EX5 sound was just a little too 'soft' for my tastes or something like that. I went from the Loxjie D30 to the EX5 and pretty much immediately regretted it. From there I went to the Zen DAC v2 (after owning the v1 for about a year right after it was released), and was very pleased with that decision. Now I'm using a Khadas Tone2 Pro, which I love.

Good luck in your endeavors.
IMG_6091.JPEG

IMG_5989.JPG

IMG_6760.JPG

IMG_8242.JPG
that what i think it is hanging on the wall back there? Looks like you're using the focal celestees; how are you liking them?

May 18, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #38 of 46
that what i think it is hanging on the wall back there? Looks like you're using the focal celestees; how are you liking them?

Haha, you mean my replica of Trey Anastasio's Languedoc aka Ocedoc? Got that thing on Etsy. I had Garcia's Rosebud too but it broke. And I was actually just lucky enough to be part of the Celestee loaner tour. And it is a great pair of headphones. But not worth the price tag for me. I think more often than not I would pick up my daily driver HD569s over the Celestee. The Celestee sounds better yeah, but not THAT much better IMO. Definitely not $150 vs $999. Great headphones though, no question. I own a pair of Elegias which I like to break out fairly often. I tend to prefer closed-backs due to home and office use. Getting back on topic with the thread - I'm returned my Khadas Tone2 Pro in favor of another Loxjie D30. I run HD 569, HD 599, and MSR7b on it mostly. Occasionally my Elegia and even HD 650. Loving it. Plan to hold onto it for a while.

May 18, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #39 of 46
I've increased my budget to £2000, so I can contemplate the Sennheiser HDV820. I've been binging on YouTube reviews of just about every DAC/AMP within my price range, and I'm just as confused now as ever. I do like the advice one reviewer gave, "If it's good enough, it's good enough." No one recommends any specific equipment... Z Reviews just likes to show off his headphone/speaker wall.

May 18, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #41 of 46
Down goes another one into the rabbit hole, good job boys.

May 19, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #42 of 46
Check out the Audio-GD R27 2021 R2R DAC/Amp and consider upgrading the ACSS to RCA (cheaper than an ACSS cable) and getting the Magna HiFi R2R Silver upgrade to make it a maxed-out system all of your older FLAC recordings:

https://magnahifi.com/audio-gd-r27-...ccusilicon-dac-pcm-dxd-dsd-pre-headphone-amp/
I have taken your advice and configured the dac/amp like you suggested, but I don't know what any of it means! But I will learn. I have also re-ripped my cd's to DSD64 format. :beyersmile:

Last edited:
May 19, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #43 of 46
Down goes another one into the rabbit hole, good job boys.
I've been down so many rabbit holes I've grown fur on my ears. I used to belong to a wet shaving forum, and after a couple of years I had acquired 15 DE razors, 20 shaving brushes, and 80 shaving soaps and creams. Men are stupid, aren't we? :scream:

Last edited:
May 19, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #45 of 46
I don't see any mention of 4.4 balanced headphone jacks. Will I need to get a 4.4 to XLR adapter?

Yes, like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Balanced-Female-Silver-Headphone-Adapter/dp/B094JBCQ1W/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2F9UNXWCFGDRU&keywords=4.4mm+to+4+pin+xlr&qid=1650474164&sprefix=4.4mm+to+4+pin+xl,aps,213&sr=8-4

BTW, I see that you are planning to use your printer stand for the R27 and you can put your printer on top of it, as it has no vents on top.

Edit: Okay, so the R27 does have a few vents in the middle, but as long as your printer has rubber feet or something like that, the ventilation will not stay impeded.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back