Can you suggest a first DAC/headphone amp?
Apr 20, 2022 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

srbmsun

Head-Fier
I'm looking to purchase my first desktop DAC/headphone amp to drive my Sennheiser HD820s. I don't want to spend more than £350. They'll be hooked up to my Audioengine A5+ speakers. I'll be running JRiver MC from my pc. With the DAC suggestions, if you have any excellent settings for JRiver, also let me know. :gs1000smile:

Apr 20, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 46
Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #5 of 46
I've moved one to my Amazon basket. Thanks! Wait! This doesn't have a 4.4mm balanced headphone jack, does it? May be a deal breaker. :scream:

This 4.4mm-female-to-4-pin-xlr-male adapter would work:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Balanced-F...4164&sprefix=4.4mm+to+4+pin+xl,aps,213&sr=8-4

What do you think of the IFI Zen Signature V2?

I am not sure about this DAC/Amp having the proper amount of electricity needed to power the HD820, as it is still 300 ohms. My HD250 Linear I is 600 ohms and needs a very large amount of power to drive it, even if it is closed-back.

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 46
Topping and weird-ass cable moved to basket. :sunglasses:
I saw a review of the ex5 and couldn't find any reference to the XLR plug being balanced. The printed specs don't mention any balanced inputs. I'm not sure I want to go the A30/D30 route. But I will if everything is compliant with the audioengine A5+ setup.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 46
I saw a review of the ex5 and couldn't find any reference to the XLR plug being balanced. The printed specs don't mention any balanced inputs. I'm not sure I want to go the A30/D30 route. But I will if everything is compliant with the audioengine A5+ setup.

From the Headfonia.com review linked above:

The EX5 features a basic, single-color display that shows information about the active input type, sample rate, and amplifier mode. There is a separate LED on the left side of the display that shows information about the MQA playback. Apart from that, we have two outputs on the front. Those are the 6.3mm headphone out and the balanced XLR 4-pin out.

Apart from those, the rest of the inputs and outputs are located at the back of the device. We have balanced 3-pin XLR and unbalanced RCA outputs.

So those outputs in the back are balanced 3-pin XLR and unbalanced RCA outputs, which will work with your Audioengine A5+ setup and future studio monitors that have xlr inputs, like a Kali Audio LP-6 set.

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #10 of 46
From the Headfonia.com review linked above:

The EX5 features a basic, single-color display that shows information about the active input type, sample rate, and amplifier mode. There is a separate LED on the left side of the display that shows information about the MQA playback. Apart from that, we have two outputs on the front. Those are the 6.3mm headphone out and the balanced XLR 4-pin out.

Apart from those, the rest of the inputs and outputs are located at the back of the device. We have balanced 3-pin XLR and unbalanced RCA outputs.

So those outputs in the back are balanced 3-pin XLR and unbalanced RCA outputs, which will work with your Audioengine A5+ setup and future studio monitors that have xlr inputs, like a Kali Audio LP-6 set.
So, I need to find some 3-pin XLRs. This is all very confusing for a newbie. :rolling_eyes:

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #12 of 46
No, there are also unbalanced RCA outputs on the back, which are between the xlr outs and digital inputs.
Okay, I think I've got what I need. I can't thank you enough for your expertise. When I'm ready to pull the trigger on these items, I'll let you know how it all turns out. It's still very confusing for a newbie. :rolling_eyes:

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #13 of 46
I didn't really like the EX5, personally. I much prefer the Zen DAC v2. That would be my recommendation. Either that or Loxjie D30.

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #14 of 46
I didn't really like the EX5, personally. I much prefer the Zen DAC v2. That would be my recommendation. Either that or Loxjie D30.

Loxjie D30 currently does not have working Windows 11 drivers. @srbmsun here is a half-hour-long video reviewing the Topping EX5:

Also, don't forget the cable ties and a 6.35mm-to-3.5mm adapter, in case you want to use your HD820 with your Sony NW-A105 as well:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reusable-C...1650508322&sprefix=cable+wrap,aps,955&sr=8-22

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VCE-Plated...&qid=1650508513&sprefix=6.35mm,aps,281&sr=8-3

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #15 of 46

I've reserved the A105 for outside use, so I use the Sony XM4s for that. I don't get all the detail from the XM4, but that makes indoor listening with the HD820s all the more pleasurable. I'm really excited about the EX5, now that I understand about the rear balanced ports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back