Can you split an XLR or RCA signal?
Oct 8, 2019 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

smoothb0re

100+ Head-Fier
I haven't been able to find a definitive answer to this. The problem is; I'm running a Parasound Zdac. I'm working with 1x RCA & 1x XLR outputs, both going to an amp. Now, when I get more amps, can I use a splitter to split the XLR or RCA signal, so that I'll have the RCA or XLR output going to two amps? Note: only one amp at a time will be turned on.

I have been told that I shouldn't split the XLR out, even if only one amp is powered on at a time. I've also heard the same about the RCA out. I never really got an explanation on why I shouldn't do it. It honestly makes no sense to me, especially if I only use one amp at a time and keep the other ones turned off. It would be nice to get a definitive answer. If you can't do that, why not?

On a totally different note, is using a 3-meter balanced headphone cable extension okay? I don't think a cable that long, of decent quality is a problem. I assume a balanced cable is just about the same as SE when it comes to this?

I'm sorry if these are all silly questions, but I genuinely have no idea. Despite having been doing the audio thing for 15 years now, I've never gone too deep into how the stuff actually works. Any help would be super awesome!

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 11
I haven't been able to find a definitive answer to this. The problem is; I'm running a Parasound Zdac. I'm working with 1x RCA & 1x XLR outputs, both going to an amp. Now, when I get more amps, can I use a splitter to split the XLR or RCA signal, so that I'll have the RCA or XLR output going to two amps? Note: only one amp at a time will be turned on.

I have been told that I shouldn't split the XLR out, even if only one amp is powered on at a time. I've also heard the same about the RCA out. I never really got an explanation on why I shouldn't do it. It honestly makes no sense to me, especially if I only use one amp at a time and keep the other ones turned off. It would be nice to get a definitive answer. If you can't do that, why not?

On a totally different note, is using a 3-meter balanced headphone cable extension okay? I don't think a cable that long, of decent quality is a problem. I assume a balanced cable is just about the same as SE when it comes to this?

I'm sorry if these are all silly questions, but I genuinely have no idea. Despite having been doing the audio thing for 15 years now, I've never gone too deep into how the stuff actually works. Any help would be super awesome!
I would use a splitter box rather than splitter cables and don’t think it will effect the sound. Why someone told you not to do something or to do something I don’t know. My experience is with a Schiit Yggdrasil as it has 2 single ended outputs and 1 balanced and I have found if one of the amps is not powered up it effects the sound to the others. Why I don’t know and truly don’t care much why. I like to go to meets and have many amps so I use a Schiit Sys for the single ended ones and until recently have had only one balanced amp and have yet to get a box to split between them but there are several to choose from and I doubt little problem with a switcher box for balanced.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 11
What kind of a box exactly would I need? How expensive of a deal is it? I figured I'd make absolutely sure before I even think of ordering anything. If possible, I'd like to keep it cheap.

Thanks for the answer!

edit: Here's another silly question; when buying XLR cables for my amps, are the "microphone cable" ones the right kind? It's honestly more than a bit confusing.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 11

Hi @smoothb0re,

You actually ask reasonable questions.

Depending on how many speaker pairs you're running & depending on what amp, it's better to get a monitor controller, eg Drawmer MC 2.1 then you can control up to three speakers at once with no loss or worry about audio signal.
This is basically a dedicated audio signal splitter which allows for said audio signal to routed correctly through a system without issue.
I use the MC 2.1 in my main setup daily, sometimes, I switch out one output to run balanced head amps.
I also use the Presonus HP4 as a secondary controller, mainly to manage my single ended head amp connections.

Splitting audio signals, be it XLR or RCA isn't necessarily a bad thing though it depends on how one does it, unfortunately the answers are potentially too long & convoluted to get into here but it basically comes down to making sure there is no distortion, clipping or improper signal paths, eg loose connections, bad grounds, feedback loops, etc...
The concern also becomes if one switches on or off said amp not in sequence as this will cause feedback, eg sharp crackle, pop &/or buzz...
There are such things as cable looms, in either XLR or RCA which allow for multiple inputs & outputs to be connected simultaneously which make multiple connections easier.
Just out of curiosity, why do you need so many amps?

3 metre lengths for headphone extension cables, either balanced or unbalanced are more than fine, though depending on specs, some manufacturers will state whether there is a signal cutoff or feedback loop, etc if more than 3 metres are added so it is important to check.
As an example, Grado headphone extension cables can be daisy chained up to 3 times without problems.
In this instance, Balanced cables are indeed similar though the only difference will be in the cable itself, there will be an added ground wire in the cable itself to help carry that signal without issue.

No, XLR microphone cables are for microphones so I suggest not using those, pick XLR cables rated for audio only.

As a final note, I suggest finding a good pro audio shop & making some friends there, not only will you potentially get good deals but you will get good advice too.

Hope this all makes sense, feel free to ask more.

Hope you have a great day !

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 11
I split my XLR output signal from my KTE Spring DAC to both, my GS-X mk2 & WA33 using Y splitters on the amp side (powering either one or the other amp up at a time) without any issue whatsoever. Simple.

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for the answers, guys!

@PaganDL I'm not running any speakers - it's all just headphone amps. As for having 3-4 amps, it's probably more of a "want" than "need", really. :) Right now it looks like I'll have two balanced headphone amps connected to the Zdac and one running off the RCA, so splitting the XLR-signal is what I'll need to do. I figured I should just try it with a simple splitter at first to see if it works ok. From what I can gather from the answers here and elsewhere, that should be reasonably safe to do. I will also make sure headphones are unplugged when powering stuff on and off, just in case. I do that anyway out of habit to begin with.

edit: I forgot to add this; about the microphone XLR cables. I'm having trouble finding any that aren't marked as microphone cables. Someone else claimed they are the same as audio XLR, and recommended amazonbasics ones as a cheap but decent option. It's all damn confusing. :frowning2: Some seem to say they are microphone AND interconnect.

@joseph69 Awesome, thanks! Knowing that gives me more confidence in trying this.

I really appreciate the help from everyone here. The audio world is full of difficult stuff and snake oil, so information like this is invaluable.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #8 of 11
Oct 17, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for the answers, guys!

@PaganDL I'm not running any speakers - it's all just headphone amps. As for having 3-4 amps, it's probably more of a "want" than "need", really. :) Right now it looks like I'll have two balanced headphone amps connected to the Zdac and one running off the RCA, so splitting the XLR-signal is what I'll need to do. I figured I should just try it with a simple splitter at first to see if it works ok. From what I can gather from the answers here and elsewhere, that should be reasonably safe to do. I will also make sure headphones are unplugged when powering stuff on and off, just in case. I do that anyway out of habit to begin with.

edit: I forgot to add this; about the microphone XLR cables. I'm having trouble finding any that aren't marked as microphone cables. Someone else claimed they are the same as audio XLR, and recommended amazonbasics ones as a cheap but decent option. It's all damn confusing. :frowning2: Some seem to say they are microphone AND interconnect.

@joseph69 Awesome, thanks! Knowing that gives me more confidence in trying this.

I really appreciate the help from everyone here. The audio world is full of difficult stuff and snake oil, so information like this is invaluable.

Hi @smoothb0re,

Sorry for the delay in reply, not on headfi much these days...

Anyway, to answer your question, the same rule regarding audio signals, applies for speakers and head amps & I run both though I tend to switch out head amps more than speakers from either 3.5, RCA, TRS & XLR with no issue, though I mostly run single ended as on my system it sounds personally & subjectively better' so it does depend on taste.
As said in my previous post, splitting audio signals via XLR or RCA isn't a bad thing, it's just not advised as what you really want to do is convert the signal, not split it as splitting audio signal or any electrical signal for that matter, may create distortion, clipping, etc, when spread over mulitple devices, especially from a single source, if said source cannot handle it for whatever reason.
So depending on your source, the Zdac in your case, it all depends on the output termination or plug you're using, so as said, if you want to used dedicated XLR connections & your current DAC doesn't support it, as suggested, get a monitor controller like mine, the Drawmer MC2.1, or a similarly affordable monitor controller with at least two inputs (RCA, XLR/Speakon) & two outputs (XLR/Speakon, RCA) so you don't have to worry too much about messing around with different cable connections & you will have a stable audio signal.
What you really need is an adapter which will do the same job & keep headaches to a minimum, RCA to XLR, Neutrik make good ones which are sturdy & affordable.
When in doubt, just use adapters, usually works with little to no issues & generally easier to source than decent quality cables in any termination, especially if source & amp use different connections.
Also, the Presonus HP4 works well as a highly affordable headphone/monitor controller alternative, using TRS cables, you can use adapters mentioned above to convert one end to RCA or XLR, not to mention with the passthrough output on the HP4, you can stack multiple HP4 if you need more outputs.

Speaking on labelling for XLR cables for audio use only, yes it can be confusing & as stated in my previous thread, generally microphone cables can be used in place of dedicated audio XLR cables though it is not always recommeneded as most if not all microphone XLR cables are wired slightly differently & usually have higher impedence which may be good or bad though this usually has more to do with speaker specs than head amp specs as speakers generally can take higher signal, current & voltage loads, especially if they're powered than head amps.
Have no idea about Amazon Basics cables as have not tried or have access to them.
Interconnect is generally fine though make sure these aren't guitar or instrument cables as some pro brands market their cables this way & similar to microphone cables, may carry an electrical signal which may be deterimental to headphones & head amps, usually more so than microphone cables.

Are there no pro audio places near you who will actually give you good advice on XLR audio cables?
Also, if you still have issues finding good cables, find an a decent to good consumer audio brand within your relative budget whose sound you like & just use their XLRs, the only issue is they may be more pricey than pro versions.

Yes, audio world is very much full of snake oil & more often than not, people not explaining stuff properly.
Feel free to ask more if & when you need.

Hope this all makes sense.

Oct 18, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #10 of 11
@PaganDL I really appreciate the help! It makes things so much easier. I had no idea that XLR mic cables had different properties to audio interconnect ones like that for example. Information like that is incredibly difficult to find without help like this.

Anyway, I managed to find decently priced XLR interconnects, and XLR splitter adapters. I went ahead and connected all three amps to the Zdac - two running off the balanced output and one running off the RCA. So far everything has worked perfectly fine. I only power on one of the balanced amps at a time just to be on the safe side.

I did some testing, and there is no effect in sound quality when the XLR output of the Zdac is split between the two balanced amps - I tested with only one balanced amp plugged in with no splitter in use, and both amps plugged in but only one turned on at a time. No change in sound, which is a relief.

Super thankful for everyone's help with this whole deal. It's relieving to know that help like this is available when I run into audio trouble.

Oct 19, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #11 of 11
@PaganDL I really appreciate the help! It makes things so much easier. I had no idea that XLR mic cables had different properties to audio interconnect ones like that for example. Information like that is incredibly difficult to find without help like this.

Anyway, I managed to find decently priced XLR interconnects, and XLR splitter adapters. I went ahead and connected all three amps to the Zdac - two running off the balanced output and one running off the RCA. So far everything has worked perfectly fine. I only power on one of the balanced amps at a time just to be on the safe side.

I did some testing, and there is no effect in sound quality when the XLR output of the Zdac is split between the two balanced amps - I tested with only one balanced amp plugged in with no splitter in use, and both amps plugged in but only one turned on at a time. No change in sound, which is a relief.

Super thankful for everyone's help with this whole deal. It's relieving to know that help like this is available when I run into audio trouble.

No problem, @smoothb0re,

Hope you enjoy your journey, feel free to ask more if you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back