Can you solve a Rubik's Cube?!?
Aug 24, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #31 of 53
Spent a couple minutes with one a few years back, had no luck; looked around for something that seemed to be more important that needed to be done, pitched the thing in the drawer under my socks and quickly pretended it never existed.

After all: "I AM AN ENGINEER" and the darned 3-D box is in the realm of "feel the Force; Luke" and....and....
blink.gif

rolleyes.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 9:52 AM Post #33 of 53
I topped out at 65 - 67 seconds, the algorithms I used just weren't efficient enough. I learned the ones that were foolproof, maybe that's why. It's a pretty good way to kill time, but doing the same algorithms over and over again got old for me, and I was too lazy to teach myself new ones. My friends up at berkeley hit the low 20s and were featured in msn's article on the caltech competition, at that point I had to wonder what exactly we were doing with out lives hahaha

There are definitely better uses of your time, not that I would know any mind you

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #34 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There used to be a guy here with a link in his sig to a really fast solve. I think he's long gone now though. Speedcubing is hilarious.

OMG I just read a post by that guy in some thread today in the headphone forum...so he is very much around, too bad I never bothered to click on the link to the video!

Aug 24, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #35 of 53
One of my friends in high school was flirting with breaking the minute mark. He once got told to move along by a Swiss policeman. He was solving the cube in a busy train station, and drawing a crowd that was starting to block things up.

Aug 24, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #36 of 53
Why solving this thing is such a big deal? I guess it shows that you have higher IQs (at solving cubes) than others?

Aug 24, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #37 of 53
I've never solved one, or even come close. What's all this talk about algorithms? I hate math...

Aug 24, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #38 of 53
I can solve it with my eyes closed...in fact, I can only do it with my eyes closed while I am dreaming!

Aug 24, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #39 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why solving this thing is such a big deal? I guess it shows that you have higher IQs (at solving cubes) than others?

sigh.

On another note, had a gathering with my mates tonight for a farewell dinner, and got one of my friends hooked on it lol! hes got the first two layers down well, and is 50%/50% with the last face/layer. For a first time he learn it pretty quick, considering my gf couldnt even get the first FACE done after explaining and explaining :p

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #41 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by velogreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried a couple of algorithms that were posted on line but the decriptions were a little rough. I would appreciate it if you would share yours so that I don't have to feel like a complete outcast.

If your finding it a little hard to understand the algorithms these are the two sources i found to be the MOST useful. There are tons and tons of beginner tutorials out there, but with these two it made so much sense.

A website showing the steps and algorithms
http://peter.stillhq.com/jasmine/rub...esolution.html

A guy on youtube explains the above steps very clearly. HOWEVER His last couple steps to solve the last layer are slightly different, but easier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsQIoPyfQzM (part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW_BBp3FPMQ (part2)

I suggest, read the website briefly, then watch the video doing the steps as he does it. Whenever he shows u a new algorithm (he'll just print it on the screen) write it down! and write down a brief line or few words of what it does, it helps to remember it.

I use all the algorithms from the website bar the last two steps which i use the youtube video's algorithms.

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #42 of 53
algorithms are pretty hard to describe other than those RULLDRLL they give you...

Aug 27, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #43 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoPants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
algorithms are pretty hard to describe other than those RULLDRLL they give you...

I thought that was the ONLY way to describe them
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #44 of 53
I was just about to ask this since I just attended a competition yesterday. I average around the 20 second mark and my best solve is 13 seconds.

If anyone has any questions or would like to learn, I would be glad to help/teach!

Edit: I should add, I know a edges first beginners method and Fridrich. I also know the cycle method for blindfold solving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back