Can you screw up headphones with ASMR?
Sep 20, 2018 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

rutter

Headphoneus Supremus
Those of you who don't know what asmr is, you don't need to. Anyway, I use sensitive LCD-X headphones. I need to turn the volume way up to get satisfactory sound (using a Jotunheim balanced), which I would imagine increases the power as well. I can feel the membrane/diaphragm vibrate. Should I worry?

Sep 20, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #2 of 14
You'll more likely cause serious hearing damage before causing the headphone damage.
I don't know if that's anything to worry about, but sudden volume spikes during ASMR can certainly be a cause for concern (depending on the media source and theme).

Sep 20, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 14
No. I would however worry that whatever ASMR recordings you are listening to have such a high dynamic range, or are recorded too low, that you may inadvertently put on a louder track afterward and hurt your ears.

The LCD-X and LCD-series have very good power handling, and you would have to play them at ear-bleeding levels before the drivers damaged. Little volume spikes are really nothing the headphone and the majority of headphones can't handle.

Sep 20, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 14
The X’s are rated for 15 Watts and the Jot puts out 7.5 max balanced at 16 ohms so you are probably good there. I also agree that my hearing is more important to me than what ever it is you are trying to achieve . What do mean by you can feel it vibrate as that is what a driver does to reproduce sound that is also just vibrations? If you mean physically touching the driver that is not a real good idea if you are playing really loud as they are not meant to be pushed against. The membranes are thin but robust but would not go poking at them.

Sep 20, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 14
Well, the level would be ear-bleeding if say music was playing. Can you really hurt your ears with a short burst? What I don't understand is whether it matters at all where the volume knob on the amplifier is or if all that matters is the sound you can judge yourself. I'm not touching the driver but with certain sounds I can easily tell it's physically vibrating. Despite the high volumes I don't find the sound excessive. I'm wondering whether the headphones agree. The recommended range for the LCD-X is 1-4W.

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 14
If the headphone is making sound it is vibrating that is how they make sound that you hear. Yes you can hurt your hearing with short burst. All loud noise hurts your hearing to what extent that varies from person to person and age also is a factor best to protect it .

Sep 21, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #8 of 14
I listen to a lot of binaural recordings. Typically loud isn’t required. Similar with ASMR, you want to approximate the same dB level you would hear in real life.

Why are you having to listen loudly? Is it ASMR recordings of air horns, people shouting in your ear, jackhammers, etc?

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 14
I don't think you understand what asmr is.
I think it was a joke XD
Since you don't usually associate ASMR with "I can feel the membrane/diaphragm vibrate." - which leads most people here to think you've either got the volume up way too loud, or are indeed listening to the Anthology of Cape Canaveral.

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 14
You're not supposed to listen at a low volume. Any of you actually listen to asmr?
That's simply not true.
People who listen to ASMR have different triggers, there is no single rule.
If your trigger is 'loud volume' then you should seriously consider lowering the volume or giving it up or you will develop permanent hearing damage.

Sep 21, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #14 of 14
Permanent hearing damage it is. I guess my trigger is unidentified masochism.
Being flippant about hearing loss is not funny to me if it can be avoided. Read up abit on ASMR and will not judge it but just have to say will not give up my hearing for some result of this or anything. To me my hearing is more important . Do what you will it is you’re hearing not mine but I still caution you with high spl listening as a lot here also listen too loud and don’t see the ramifications of the results over time. You do what you want just want everyone to hear well as you don’t get a do over on your hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back