Can you recommend some laptop speakers?
Jan 4, 2010 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

karmypolitics

100+ Head-Fier
Basically, I'm looking for a very portable pair of speakers, possibly powered through the usb port to save space, for enhancing the sound of my laptop.

It doesn't have to amazing, just better than the tinny thinkpad speakers.

Suggestions?

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 15
Can you give some size and $ limits?

On the slightly bigger side, you have the "portable" ipod docks. There is a veritable deluge of options to choose from in that area.

For USB speakers, the Logitech V20 are decent and you can frequently find them on sale for $40-50. They come with their own semi-hard case too, which is great for transport.

On the super cheap end, I picked up these $10 flat panel computer speakers from Walmart for my mom a while ago. I forget the name, but each speaker is about the size of a calculator and magnetically clip together. Plugs into both the headphone jack and usb (for power; or it can use batteries). It's good sound for $10, and small/sturdy enough to fit the whole thing in a pencil case.
edit: found a similar one for $30, http://walmart.ca/Canada-Electronic....Id=384&tabId=1
but my local store carries a knockoff brand for $10
I did compare the two before, and the expensive did sound better.

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #5 of 15
Lol yeah, I think he means the Z2300 and they aren't cheap anyway
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 15
Cambridge SoundWorks: High Performance Speakers, Home Theater Systems, Table Radios, Multimedia Systems and More

check out these speakers... i love cambridge soundworks, and have owned two sets of these, and when i bought them in 95, they were a lot more expensive than they are now... you'll notice they are 'out of stock' on the site, but they're apparently updating the design. they run out of the headphone jack, and i use them with ipod when on vacation, and out of my flat screen tv at home. (at the moment i don't have a reciever set up, and since the speakers on my tv are crap, these give me pretty good sound from the headphone jack on the side of the tv... they'tr self-amped and sound tremendous for such a small set of speakers.

i also have cambridge speakers for my home theater set-up, they're just in storage...

antiman

Jan 5, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by limin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you mean logitech z2300?

Oh, Dash. I always mix Creative and Logitech up...........
Hey, it's boxing day/week/time. Here, Future Stop has large stashes of Z2300 speakers for real cheap-cheap. $150 CAD for an eight-incher ain't bad.

Jan 5, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #11 of 15
Jan 5, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #15 of 15
Dan's review was pretty spot on with my observations....true bass is definitely lacking due to tiny drivers...what you hear is mainly low mids around the 100hz range. They are fairly balanced sounding (read: flat) and respond well to EQ (especially when boosting the bass). Again, due to small drivers, they perform best when the listener is fairly close, otherwise the bass disappears, but that's common with any laptop speakers. They DO go very loud with the onboard amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back