Can you recommend over-the-ear headphones? (About $200-250)
Feb 13, 2018 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Moosbrugger

Head-Fier
I've been using V-Moda M-80 on-ear head phones. I'm happy with the sound, but they get very uncomfortable after about 30-45 minutes of use. I'm not sure if it's because of my big head or just the nature of on-ear head phones.

I assume that over ear will be more comfortable? I'd like to stay in the $200-$250 price range. I mostly listen to classical music and a good bit of classic rock. They'll be used with a Fiio X5iii, no amp.

Are wireless headphones as good as wired? (all other things being equal.)

And, just curious, what's the difference between full-size headphones and portables? I thought headphones were portable by definition?

Thank in advance.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 2
Whenever the "portable" tag is slapped on, it usually refers to something lightweight that has some ability to fold. I'm not really sure what you're looking for here, but I assume it's got to be a good closed pair for use outside the house. If I were you I'd just buy the bigger Vmoda if you're happy with the sound. Over ear is 100% more comfortable. With headphones there's just no point if it's not comfortable. Personally I'm able to stand on-ear pretty well after breaking them in, but I don't own any of those anymore.
You can't really go wrong with your budget so just do a little more research to see what you like. Figure out how reviewers describe the Vmodas sound of the pair you own and try to find that in full sized ones.

My personal take on bluetooth is that it's still not good enough as far as I know. Can I listen to it casually in the car or with wireless headphones at work? Certainly, but it's not as good as it can be. I'd rather spend some extra money on a portable DacAmp to link with the phone. I don't think I'll invest in dedicated wireless headphones anytime soon, but I might play around with bluetooth transceiver kits to use around the house so I can use the PC as a wireless source.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back