Can you recommend a recording of 'The Ninth'?
May 8, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #16 of 36
the 62/63 karajan is my favorite ninth. i grew up hearing it and it never felt soulless to me at all..just very powerful and organic. i love a lot of others though, including gardiner. listened to very little outside of a dozen versions of the ninth for an entire spring and summer 5 years back after suffering a layoff. got me through!

i am very excited to hear this kind of recommendation for the osmo vanska. am hoping to get lucky and find it locally right now as i head home from work. could be i'm in for another symphonic summer.

thanks for the info.

May 11, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #19 of 36
Am happy listening to Roger Norrington's 9th EMI-CDC 7492212

May 11, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #21 of 36
Read this thread:
Beethoven 9th

I will stick with my list from that thread:
Karajan/BPO/DG Galleria 1977 (not the remaster, original Galleria release)
Munch/BSO/Great Conductors 20th Century 1958 (2CD set)
Bernstein/VPO/DG Panorama 1980 (2CD set with Missa Solemnis)
Klemperer/Testament 1957 (live stereo)
Leinsdorf/BSO/RCA Victrola (budget price)

I have not heard the very newest full price versions like Vanska, but it would have to be a tremendous performance to unseat any of these 5.

May 12, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masolino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which Karl Bohm? VPO1 or VPO2 (possibly more) ?

I believe it was the VPO1, the one that I grew up listening to. Later on he recorded a slower version.

Cheers,
W

May 21, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #23 of 36
i think the szell cycle is very good but not my favorite.

got the vanska and it is as good as was recommended in this thread. superior sonics make it even more fun to listen to.

can't wait to try Munch/BSO/Great Conductors 20th Century 1958 (2CD set)
and Klemperer/Testament 1957 (live stereo). thanks darkangel.

i can never get enough of this work, just amazing.

May 21, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #24 of 36
I don't have as much experience as I'd like, but I don't know if I need any after the Vänskä. It is bliss.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think the szell cycle is very good but not my favorite.

got the vanska and it is as good as was recommended in this thread. superior sonics make it even more fun to listen to.

can't wait to try Munch/BSO/Great Conductors 20th Century 1958 (2CD set)
and Klemperer/Testament 1957 (live stereo). thanks darkangel.

i can never get enough of this work, just amazing.

Many experts if putting together top 5 9ths list would probably put a version by Furtwangler in there like his 1951 EMI GROTC version with Schwarzkopf, but I went with Klemperer's 1957 with Ludwig which I think eclipses any of the earlier Furtwangler 9ths, very special document of that time period.......that said you should probably also get the 1951 Furtwangler 9th since it has been remastered for the EMI great recordings of the century series, EMI must think it is very special

May 21, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #27 of 36
I have a natural inclination to recommending Karajan's 1977 recording. I grew up with it - my Dad had the vinyl version back them. I now own the Galleria disc. I seem to prefer it to my EMI copy of Furtwangler's 1951 recording, though in a strange twist, my Dad has taken a liking to it and seems to what to pinch my disc. I am quite curious about the Vanska and will probably be buying it someday.

One of the curious aspects of my listening habits with the ninth is once the choral bits kick in, I lose interest
confused.gif

May 21, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the curious aspects of my listening habits with the ninth is once the choral bits kick in, I lose interest
confused.gif

W... what?

I can't even fathom this. The choral bits move it up from 'terrific' to 'magical'. You are nuts.

May 21, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many experts if putting together top 5 9ths list would probably put a version by Furtwangler in there like his 1951 EMI GROTC version with Schwarzkopf, but I went with Klemperer's 1957 with Ludwig which I think eclipses any of the earlier Furtwangler 9ths, very special document of that time period.......that said you should probably also get the 1951 Furtwangler 9th since it has been remastered for the EMI great recordings of the century series, EMI must think it is very special

Despite the sound, I think that I (and probably some of our colleagues here) would pass over the 1951 Bayreuth recording for the 1942 Berlin disc. Furtwängler's style changed (1937 vs. 1942 vs. 1951 vs. 1954, Luzern or Bayreuth) over time, but I think that the 1942 selection shows him at his best. Really incandescent, but the limitations of sound make it untenable as a first choice.

As to reasonable, modern recordings, I'm partial to Abbado's 1994 Sony disc. It has a good band (Berliners) and probably the best possible modern cast (Eaglen, Meier, Heppner, and Terfel). It's not going to win any great interpretative awards, but - for me - that prize will always go to Furtwängler.

May 21, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read this thread:
Beethoven 9th

I will stick with my list from that thread:
Karajan/BPO/DG Galleria 1977 (not the remaster, original Galleria release)
Munch/BSO/Great Conductors 20th Century 1958 (2CD set)
Bernstein/VPO/DG Panorama 1980 (2CD set with Missa Solemnis)
Klemperer/Testament 1957 (live stereo)
Leinsdorf/BSO/RCA Victrola (budget price)

I have not heard the very newest full price versions like Vanska, but it would have to be a tremendous performance to unseat any of these 5.

It is better than several of those performances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back