Can you recommend a good multi purpose DAC for using as a source for headphones AND large speakers?
Oct 23, 2013 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jrodefeld

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I have a unique request.  I currently own a Hifiman HE-400.  And I am soon to get some large speakers, the Magnepan 1.7.  

Basically I want to know if it is possible to get a high quality DAC that I can use in the meantime to drive my headphones AND will be up to the task of providing a high quality source for the Magnepan 1.7 speakers?

And I want to spend not too much more than $500.

Is this feasible?  I know I could find something for the headphones but the Magnepan speakers are a whole different kind of animal.  I want something that will last as a source for my digital audio but will be able to sound good even up to larger, more expensive speakers.

Do you have any recommendations?

I appreciate the help.

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 4
In that pricerange the Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus is a good option. The DAC performs extremely well, to the point where you're going to be hard pressed to hear any differences with more expensive ones like a Benchmark (you probably can't at all). For sure a good digital source for the Magnepans.

You can find measurements here: http://kenrockwell.com/audio/cambridge/dacmagic-plus.htm#meas

The Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus is an extremely high-performance DAC, with performance unsurpassed at any price. It also has the best jitter immunity I've ever measured, and this is from any of its inputs.

Less optimal is the high output impedance of the amplifier stage, but it's not a big problem with the HE-400 (I own both) because it's already colored especially in the low frequencies.

Just curious - what amplifier are you going to drive the Magnepans with?

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #3 of 4
  In that pricerange the Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus is a good option. The DAC performs extremely well, to the point where you're going to be hard pressed to hear any differences with more expensive ones like a Benchmark (you probably can't at all). For sure a good digital source for the Magnepans.

You can find measurements here: http://kenrockwell.com/audio/cambridge/dacmagic-plus.htm#meas

Less optimal is the high output impedance of the amplifier stage, but it's not a big problem with the HE-400 (I own both) because it's already colored especially in the low frequencies.

Just curious - what amplifier are you going to drive the Magnepans with?

I'm pretty much sold on the Emotiva XPA-2.  I am not looking to spend a cent more than I need to and I have read many threads about how Emotiva and Magnepans work very well together.

Do you think they would be a good match?

Thanks for the help with the DAC.  I'll check out the one you recommended.  

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #4 of 4
No personal experience but I think it's a pretty safe way to go, Emotiva makes great amplifiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back